how realistic are online dating women about their looks?

7 hours ago, Interstellar said:

As long as you have a master’s degree, have blue eyes, be environmentally conscious by driving a Tesla, shop at Wegmans or Whole Foods you should be alright.

🤣

7 hours ago, Interstellar said:

. Almost everyone looks for at least 6 feet, with a six figure income. Especially if they’re good looking. As long as you have a master’s degree, have blue eyes, be environmentally conscious by driving a Tesla, shop at Wegmans or Whole Foods you should be alright.

Ok in a perfect world, but most women are not stupid, they know their limitations. They usually are well aware of who is or is not within their grasp...
Yes you get the delusional and the idiotic, but most looking for  a long term mate are going to be pretty sensible as to who they are likely to end up with.  
They also usually know what they don't want and for some men that is deemed "unacceptable".
These men know they may not be able to get the "hotties" but they SHOULD be able to have their pick of every other woman surely???...
It doesn't work like that... 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, elaine567 said:

Ok in a perfect world, but most women are not stupid, they know their limitations. They usually are well aware of who is or is not within their grasp...
Yes you get the delusional and the idiotic, but most looking for  a long term mate are going to be pretty sensible as to who they are likely to end up with.  
They also usually know what they don't want and for some men that is deemed "unacceptable".
These men know they may not be able to get the "hotties" but they SHOULD be able to have their pick of every other woman surely???...
It doesn't work like that... 

When it comes to height I find like with most guys that women online tend to be non negotiable, or at least that’s the impression I get from their profile. As far as the last few lines on my post, having a masters, shopping at Wegmans, etc..I’m really just having fun and exaggerating a bit, I took bits and pieces on what  women look for because that’s also what you tend to see on their profiles. I’m not saying they shouldn’t look for these, and maybe they’ll find that guy but you can expect those same guys to be going after someone younger as well. I give those women credit for being honest and upfront because that means I swipe left instantly and I don’t have to waste my time reading their profile. I saved time, energy and money. 
Do I think a guy who looks like Danny Devito should  be realistic and look for a woman on his same wavelength? Sure, but that doesn’t mean he should walk around feeling sorry for himself and avoid talking to the hotties either. In fact, he should work on his personality ten times and dress well relative to what he’s going for, and date as much as he can.

Edited by Interstellar

self perception... can vary widely....

how they see themselves may diff greatly with reality.

young or old... 

i've met stunning 30yr olds who think they're "average" even as guys gawk at us(her) as we walk down a street... b/c sometimes they have low self esteem, etc... and i've dated some women who think they're clearly way up there, and yet... i think they're ok... of course, this could be my perception of them too... that also comes into play.

So stop fussing about the reality check of 60+ yr old women... and ask yourself what you want, and filter out what you don't. instead of relying on them to describe things that may not match with how you perceive reality. :)

10 minutes ago, 2BGoodAgain said:

So stop fussing about the reality check of 60+ yr old women... and ask yourself what you want, and filter out what you don't. instead of relying on them to describe things that may not match with how you perceive reality. :)

He knows what he wants, his filters are in place. He wants a fit, active, thin, athletic, age appropriate older woman with a bikini body who likes sex and who lives close by, but they rarely show up and are not biting when they do... that is the real problem.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

He knows what he wants, his filters are in place. He wants a fit, active, thin, athletic, age appropriate older woman with a bikini body who likes sex and who lives close by, but they rarely show up and are not biting when they do... that is the real problem.

I was hoping to avoid the obvious... 

but let's dig right in then... if they aren't biting, then the problem is obvious, don't you think? :)

• Like 1
On 1/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, alphamale said:

I routinely see women on OLD lying about their age, a woman whose pics show her to be 65 saying she is 55 or younger.  Who are these women kidding?

Maybe she is 55 but looks 65.  I see a lot of that nowadays.

34 minutes ago, elaine567 said:

Those women are probably already taken.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Author

@elaine, since I think it was directed at me ....

''He wants a fit, active, thin, athletic, age appropriate older woman with a bikini body who likes sex and who lives close by''

What I want is a fit, active, woman who's interested in an LTR with a man my age with a body comparable to mine (currently I'd feel silly in a Speedo) who regards sex as a component of an LTR and lives close enough that we are both comfortable with the travel. Not, I'd say, the same thing. Nevertheless, your list of characteristics, while exceeding my requirements, definitely meets most of my own desires. [dry humor intended]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, stillafool said:

Maybe she is 55 but looks 65.  I see a lot of that nowadays.

either way - I won't be dating them

• Shocked 1
  • Author

@elaine. Although I take no exception to the desirability of the criteria, I don't recall POSTING about either a 'bikini body' or 'likes' sex. Oh well, such posts could easily have 'leaked' out of my memory. ...... PEACE!?

Cookiesandough

No spam I don’t think your requirements are outlandish at all. Yes, there will always be people on OLD who misrepresent themselves. Just have to weed through the BS. You seem like a cool, level headed guy and I’ sure you’ll find an awesome last to match. Don’t give up :) 

• Like 1

Years ago I looked for SWF in their fifties and above and found it was no different than looking for younger ones. They all lie about their appearance with a very old picture. Either that or they look wonderful for their age. Of course, men are deceptive also. You would think that because older SW/BF are so past their prime they would be less choosy, more open minded. Not so in my experience! They might be more choosy because the prevalent attitude is "I have a life and I dont need a man though if he is exactly what I am looking for--a real prince--then All right. If not who cares? As a book on dating is titled, "men are just desserts."   So yeah, height matters a great deal--I have NEVER seen an ad asking for a short man, even from short SW/BF

Perhaps the women who don't care about their own appearance won't care about yours.

This attitude is nothing new. I remember an old Cheers TV show that showed this perfectly.

Happy Lemming
1 hour ago, LuckyM said:

So yeah, height matters a great deal--I have NEVER seen an ad asking for a short man, even from short SW/BF

Yes, I dated a woman who was 4' 10" and she wouldn't date any guy under 6'... I'm 6' 1", so I made the cut.

I really do think the OP is getting rejected by most (on OLD) because of his height.  Sorry, man!

Ahh, but eh really , so what , one short chick way back when preferred tall guys, l'd love to see her now and see who she really ended up with. There must be at least a billion couples out there, at least , where guys are well under 6ft. Matter of fact ,  l read somewhere average height for men in this day and age is well under 6ft. So 60 or 70% of women would be single if all that bs was reality, because 60 or 70% of couples out there men must be well under 6ft in that case , and that's exactly what you'd see looking around, l do.

lt's pie in the sky , if someone was to ask me everything l prefer , so what , if only the real world was as easy and realistic as dreaming on the internet or old. lt's like all these ridiculous surveys all over the place, anyone can answer that crap with their pipe dream and they will , especially women . But just go take a look at the real average out there in the real world. Even as people for some very strange reason keep bringing up la la land Hollywood as if it's real life, reality, well there's dozens of so called stars  well under 6ft.anyway

Edited by chillii
Cookiesandough

That’s truly weird to me because op would be extremely tall to someone that short in stature?? I am 5’6” and all my bfs have been 6’-6’4 but it was never anything I planned. Strangely it happened that way but we fit well because high heels, they’d comment how it’s nice to not have to bend over as much lol

which would be the case with a 5’2 girl and OP... He would still have to bend down and he’d still be much taller than her so I don’t get that =/

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cookiesandough said:

which would be the case with a 5’2 girl and OP... He would still have to bend down and he’d still be much taller than her so I don’t get that =/

unfortunately Cookiesandough,  this 5'2" girl is also looking for a guy who is 6'-6'4"

• Thanks 1

Ha, she's looking for it , so what, good luck with that lady . We'll check back with her in 20yrs time and see how the pipe dreams goin.

Edited by chillii
thefooloftheyear

Women also are notorious for showing their absolute best side when they are single...They get personal trainers,  diet like crazy, all the best in terms of clothes, makeup, etc...

The minute they get comfortable in a relationship, that's when the pounds come  on, the hair gets cut short and all the rest...Then you have the old..."love me for who I am" stuff..

Before someone challenges this, I get it,  some aren't like this...I just have seen enough of the opposite for it to be something to consider...

TFY

Plenty very short girls like high heels and plenty of them like very tall men too.
A short girl in very high heels tends not to want a guy who is the same height or fractionally taller or shorter than her in her heels...
It is also what is aesthetically pleasing, and taller guys just usually look better.
Many girls do not like ultra tall men either, so 6'2 is often the cut off for them.

• Author

Off MY OP topic (are OLD realistic about their looks?), but on topic for the discussion drift to the 'old height thing'....

A small, semi-random sample of women from match.com seeking men 5'10" (apparently the 'sweet spot') and taller:
First column=woman's height, second column=top of her 'seeking range'. In all cases, 5'10" is the bottom of her seeking range.
5'5" 6'2"
5'6" 6'4"
5'4" 6'4"
5'6" 6'5"
5'6" 6'10"
5'5" 6'8"
5'1" 6'5"
5'7" 6'6"
5'5" 6'0"
5'7" 6'10"
5'4" 6'3"
I'm especially 'entertained' by the 5'1" woman who says she wants a 6'5" guy but NOT one who's 5'9".

Cookiesandough

Yea but if a girl is 5’0 and wearing 4” heels all the time, she is still a good 4 inches shorter than OP 5’8” lol. Also have to feel bad for her ankles. I know this is the case for many of my short friends but it does boggles my mind I guess , go for what they want though 

Edited by Cookiesandough
6 minutes ago, thefooloftheyear said:

Women also are notorious for showing their absolute best side when they are single...They get personal trainers,  diet like crazy, all the best in terms of clothes, makeup, etc...

The minute they get comfortable in a relationship, that's when the pounds come  on, the hair gets cut short and all the rest...Then you have the old..."love me for who I am" stuff.

A few months ago I went to the supermarket on a Sunday afternoon, not my usual shopping slot. I usually go on week days or go online.
Weekdays are full of mothers and kids and students and the elderly usually.
On that Sunday I wondered where all these fat blokes had come from to realise they were the fathers of the kids out shopping with the family...
Not only do women let themselves go...

• Like 2