What can I do to get a job I actually like?

I'm never saying don't follow your dream

Well, I’ll say it - ironpony, quit following your dream.

Look, I was a heck of a high-school baseball player. Good arm, excellent defensive outfielder, hit for average and power, made the all-city team. The world was my oyster, I was going to be a professional player - until I got to college and saw what a real athlete looked like. These were guys with God-given gifts I simply couldn’t match.

After that reality check, I detoured to the hospitality industry and have made a comfortable living. And it seems to me you need to make a similarly practical decision, life brings challenges requiring two feet on the ground. Filmmaking sounds like a great hobby, as baseball/softball has been for me.

If you’re going to live somewhere other than your parent’s basement, might be time to get real...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 4
  • Author

Oh okay, but friends say to stop treating it like a hobby and make a career out of it, which I want to do, instead of working jobs I do not like all the time.

To me, it sounds like you have a dream. It doesn’t sound like you have a plan.

Dreams are wonderful. It’s really lovely to say, follow your dream... But the reality is, you have to live. You have to eat, you have to pay rent, and if you ever want to move out of your parents basement... you have to grow up.

The world is full of people who had a dream, but the reality is that very few people get to live their dream. Very few people can be Steven Spielberg.

You may need to do what others have done - take stock of your education, your skills, and strengths, and your interest and find a job that matches as best it can with your skills and interests. That’s just, real life.

You are always free to pursue your dream, but you need a darn good plan and a whole lot of luck if you decide to do it as anything more than a hobby...

Edited by BaileyB
  • Author

Oh ok. So when my gf and my friend say to get a job i like and stop settling for ones i don't like, are they wrong?

are they wrong?

There are a ton of starving artists across all genres, many of them very talented. You have to figure out a way to monetize your skills, even if your toolkit is as simple as a willingness to show up on time and work hard. There are also many jobs and fields that you may "like" beyond filmmaking.

As you move into adulthood, it's about figuring out what happens if you're not lucky enough to be Neil Armstrong, Bill Gates or Lebron James. Ironpony, still gotta eat, still need to live, still have to provide.

The question becomes - how?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
Oh ok. So when my gf and my friend say to get a job i like and stop settling for ones i don't like, are they wrong?

Are the only options working a job you don't like or following your dream? I would think there are a lot of jobs in between that you might not hate doing. And remember, any job is work -- even when you follow your dream.

But I agree with Bailey. If you want to follow your dream, you need a plan. You may also need to be working somewhere else to pay your bills while you pursue that plan. That's why there are so many waitresses and bartenders in Los Angeles who are all pursuing film careers. Yes, it's hard work to do both.

It sounds like your skills are basically entry level at this point? Aside from film, what kind of jobs can you see yourself doing or seem interesting to you at that level?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Well I was told I should move to Vancouver by others, but the price of rent and living is so costly there, I cannot find a job that would pay high enough.  A waiter or bartender job would not be high paying enough to cut it since Vancouver it's so expensive there, and that is the problem I am having.  How do other filmmakers work those jobs and still make enough money to pay such high rents.  It doesn't seem to add up.

On 12/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, ironpony said:

Well I was told I should move to Vancouver by others, but the price of rent and living is so costly there, I cannot find a job that would pay high enough.  A waiter or bartender job would not be high paying enough to cut it since Vancouver it's so expensive there, and that is the problem I am having.  How do other filmmakers work those jobs and still make enough money to pay such high rents.  It doesn't seem to add up.

They live with roommates or rent a room.  

• Like 3

'Very few people can be Steven Spielberg.' BaileyB

🤩

I have worked as a musician for years, using my earlier social work knowledge to become skillful at therapeutic entertaining which is a big part of memory loss care. It's not only performing, it's fascinating seeing the effect of music on memory and I get loads of lovely relationships and gratitude through my work. Lots of other musicians have to teach or work in churches.

When times are good I have put away savings which when times are harder, get depleted, I expect to work until as late in life as possible so no early retirement and I'm in a shared home after mine got damaged in a storm, and probably buying a tiny home and a bit of land will be the extent of my life's wealth again in another year or two. If I'm lucky!

And, a big AND for my choice to live in America, we don't have a health care system like other countries, and whilst we do now have the government health insurance now with subsidies, income has to be low to qualify. I either have to live on the poverty line OR take a side-gig job with its own insurance and work 'round the clock!

Everything comes at a price and with it's own set of difficulties to resolve. Move in the general direction of your dreams- often with baby steps. I volunteer or take classes and read a lot. I stay positive and work hard whatever I am doing now. I can budget on a dime and have a flip phone and an old truck.

There's a quotation by former Massachusets governer Calvin Coolidge:

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

• Like 1
  • Author

Okay thanks, but everytime I have attempted with roommates before it's been bad experiences.  I would really like to avoid that or at least find some that won't cause problems, and that hasn't been successful in the past.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I keep finding myself going from job to job, keep on trying to find one I like, but does this look bad to keep going from one to the next, resume wise, over the years?

On 1/3/2020 at 4:19 PM, ironpony said:

Okay thanks, but everytime I have attempted with roommates before it's been bad experiences.  I would really like to avoid that or at least find some that won't cause problems, and that hasn't been successful in the past.

Oh I live in a beautiful home belonging to some very good people ( it has strained our friendship somewhat the endless issues with the house ) but the older lady and I are worlds apart in terms of values and behaviour and I found it making me ill over the holidays! I know it's not easy. But...to everything a season, when you're at different stages of life you have to put up with things for a time.

5 hours ago, ironpony said:

I keep finding myself going from job to job, keep on trying to find one I like, but does this look bad to keep going from one to the next, resume wise, over the years?

Depends what they are and how it affects your references, if you always leave on good terms etc. Which you won't if the job means a significant investment in you from a company in training. But some jobs are only seen as shorter-term, if it were me I'd also have something showing continuity on my resume, a volunteer position or something so people don't scan it and think 'can't stick to anything'. 

'Do what you love and the money will follow' is a good book for figuring things out, well it was for me.

Good luck!

There are definitely some bad roommates out there... but if "every single one" of the roommates you've lived with has apparently been terrible, you might want to look at the common denominator.

Yes, most of us prefer to live alone or with a partner. But most of us have still lived with roommates at some point of our lives. You don't get 100% of the things you want in life handed to you, you have to make some choices and some sacrifices.

Edited by Elswyth

The theme I gathered from your posts was one of uncertainty and/or fear.  You posted alot about what your friends say you should do or should not do.  You seem to struggle with making decisions as to how to achieve your career goal.  I knew no one in my field of work when I decided to enter it.  I pushed myself hard for several years going to school and working - usually two jobs at once.  I think you need to focus on doing whatever it takes for you to become a filmmaker (it's your passion - right?) and ignore the naysayers.  Just do it.

• Author

Oh okay.  Well I did want to make my own feature film and try to market it, but I feel that my friends, family and gf, think that that's crazy and that I am taking huge risks, but I don't know how else to persue it. One person said I was being unreasonable, but if unreasonable means saying yese, where as reasonable means saying no, that's kind of a black and white way of looking at it, isn't it?

One person I asked about it compared me to Tommy Wiseau saying look what happened to him when he tried that.  But... like him do you still need to have the guts to try in order to have a chance of success?

Edited by ironpony
On 2/2/2020 at 5:23 AM, ironpony said:

Oh okay.  Well I did want to make my own feature film and try to market it, but I feel that my friends, family and gf, think that that's crazy and that I am taking huge risks, but I don't know how else to persue it. One person said I was being unreasonable, but if unreasonable means saying yese, where as reasonable means saying no, that's kind of a black and white way of looking at it, isn't it?

One person I asked about it compared me to Tommy Wiseau saying look what happened to him when he tried that.  But... like him do you still need to have the guts to try in order to have a chance of success?

I'll tell you what I keep telling my 25-year-old (who dreams of being in the entertainment business.) Sure. Fine. Follow your dreams IN YOUR SPARE TIME, but you also must have a source of income while you are pursuing your dreams. For that, my daughter is a bartender and server. She makes really good money just doing that. During many days of the week (in between work shifts), she is either at auditions, acting/singing classes, or in the studio laying down a track.

In her current situation, does she get much sleep? No. Does she love her bartending and serving jobs? No. Does she have to sacrifice to try to make her dream come true? YES. She's 24. Her cut off age is 25. She has promised herself that if she isn't making enough to sustain herself in the industry by 25, then she's going back to school for graphic design so she can get a "real" job in the computer industry.

You have to be willing to work yucky jobs to make enough money so you can follow your dreams in your spare time. If you are not willing to take a job (or jobs) you don't like to be able to work toward your dream, then you may as well give up your dream, go back to school and get a degree or certification in another (more profitable) field of work.

Your friends and family are looking out for you. The bottom line is that YOU have to decide what is most important to you. I DO know that, to make a feature film, or do anything in that industry, you have to be willing to put forth 150% and THEN, you still might not make it. As long as you are realistic about that, and have a back up plan, you should do what YOU want to do in your life (as long as you don't end up sponging off your family and friends in order to live.)

Edited by vla1120
  • Like 1
  • Author

Sure I can still have a source of income, it's just over years I keep going from job to job, and I was told that's bad, and looks bad, and you want to work a job long enough that you can retire from pension wise, they say.  So that makes it tricky when going from job to job for almost two decades now, doesn't it?

9 hours ago, ironpony said:

Sure I can still have a source of income, it's just over years I keep going from job to job, and I was told that's bad, and looks bad, and you want to work a job long enough that you can retire from pension wise, they say.  So that makes it tricky when going from job to job for almost two decades now, doesn't it?

I think it depends on the reason you are switching jobs. There was a period in my life when I changed careers and had to take a lower paying job to break into that career field. Then, I spent the next ten years switching jobs every one or two years, climbing the corporate ladder. I had no problem explaining that I was trying to reach my previous income level and advance my career. Eventually, I took a job with a company who appreciated my work ethic and knowledge. They kept me and allowed me to continue promoting my career within their company. I don't think I would depend on a pension for my retirement in this financial climate. Many companies (private and public sector) are abandoning pensions. Your best bet is to setup your own retirement fund and continue to contribute to that throughout your career.

15 hours ago, vla1120 said:

I don't think I would depend on a pension for my retirement in this financial climate. Many companies (private and public sector) are abandoning pensions. Your best bet is to setup your own retirement fund and continue to contribute to that throughout your career.

And many of my generation are resigned to working into our seventies or to the day we physically can't any more, all the more reason to be doing something you are good at and passionate about.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, vla1120 said:

As long as you are realistic about that, and have a back up plan, you should do what YOU want to do in your life (as long as you don't end up sponging off your family and friends in order to live.)

Amen.

I work at what I want to do most of the time, but when a storm wrecked my home I have had to learn to live with room-mates also take supplementary work where necessary. Whether it's a volunteer position to learn and make contacts, a minimum wage job to help make ends meet, or fulfilling a dream the best advice is be positive and hard-working.

• Author

Oh okay thanks.  Well my gf thinks I am being too picky cause I keep avoiding all the warehouse jobs.  Mostly cause every one I worked in the past was freezing cold, plus all the overtime that is required, 50-60 hours a week in the cold.

So since everyone has been liked that, I have been passing them up, but she says I am being too picky.  If I didn't go to college are there any jobs out there, besides warehouse ones?

SincereOnlineGuy
On 11/29/2019 at 7:26 PM, ironpony said:

What can I do to get a job I actually like?

Wait until the unemployment rate is 0.00 ...  and when they are all beckoning you to join their force.

You will have them eating out of the palm of your hand then, picking and choosing between jobs you like.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:12 PM, ironpony said:

Well my gf thinks I am being too picky cause I keep avoiding all the warehouse jobs.  Mostly cause every one I worked in the past was freezing cold, plus all the overtime that is required, 50-60 hours a week in the cold.

So since everyone has been liked that, I have been passing them up, but she says I am being too picky.  If I didn't go to college are there any jobs out there, besides warehouse ones?

I work hard at my passion but if I'm going to get another mortgage and buy another home ( post-Harvey floods....ugh, it's hard ) then I will have to take a full-time job, maybe in delivery or warehouse or something? At least temporarily, to get the loan. Meeting the loan, well that's one of my strengths, I always pay my bills even if I work night and day!

If it were me worried about cold I'd go to Kohls and buy a fleece lined jacket.

Edited by Ellener
spelling