Couples who sit on the same side (table, booth, etc)

harnold

sometimes I do this, sometimes I dont. I never thought much of it, and neither did the person I was with (date, gf, etc)

but recently it has come to my attention that this is a pet peeve for some people. my question is why?

is it considered pda? sometimes it just feels more intimate. just curious how other people view this. probably won't change my mind about it :)

for the record, I just mean sitting on the same side. not necessarily making out or physical stuff like that, which I dont do.

Edited by harnold

It annoys me, and yes, I guess I kind of consider it pda. I just always think people are trying too hard to show off their "couplehood". It's also along the lines of people who say "we" for everything. Blech.

It annoys me, and yes, I guess I kind of consider it pda. I just always think people are trying too hard to show off their "couplehood". It's also along the lines of people who say "we" for everything. Blech.

that's baloney Fmw. I've done this a number of times when i'm feeling particularly amorous, the lady always loves it.

• Like 4

I like facing each other so we can talk and look at each other. I think sitting together would feel odd. I can see it if you are in a bar and the music is loud you would.

• Like 3

Hey, Alpha, that was my opinion, not a rule book for everyone else.

I agree with Smackie - I like looking into someone's eyes across the table.

• Like 3
Kitty Tantrum

My fiancé and I almost always sit side by side. It's often hard to hear each other otherwise - also makes it easier to share a meal, which we usually do. I also feel a lot more secure and less anxious in public/group dining situations when I'm on the inside of the booth and he's between me and everyone else in the place. Especially if crowded/noisy.

There is usually touching throughout, but nothing sexual. I'll touch his knee or lean my head on his shoulder briefly, sometimes a very quick (closed mouth) kiss when I thank him for taking me out. Stuff like that.

Lol that it bothers some people. :laugh:

I'll note that this works particularly well for us because I'm right-handed and he's left-handed, so as long as I always sit on the right, we never bump hands or elbows while eating or reaching.

• Like 2
Ruby Slippers
that's baloney Fmw. I've done this a number of times when i'm feeling particularly amorous, the lady always loves it.

I agree. I'm romantic, fiery, and young at heart, and tend to have relationships with men who are the same, so I've often found my man sitting right next to me in a restaurant. Most people respond very well to it, think it's cute, sweet, and romantic, which it is.

But I agree with you that it's kind of annoying when people constantly refer to their significant other - screams codependent to me.

A pet peeve? Seriously? There are all kinds of reasons you might sit next to your partner: the tables are too large, the restaurant is loud, the sun is in your eyes, the chair is wobbly, etc.

If someone is looking at couples and thinking "hmph, they're trying too hard to prove they're happy!" then they should probably get some help.

• Like 6

I think it's just what I'm used to, but I somehow don't feel comfortable sitting and eating directly side by side (e.g. in a booth) and trying to talk and eat.

I get that it's comfy/intimate and in a way I wish I could enjoy that style, but when I try it I just don't. So nearly always sit facing although adjacent sides (e.g. on a square table) is ok too.

IF the table was too large I would do it. On the rare occasions it's just me and the wife at a round booth, I sit with some space between us (about enough space for one person - not "distant"). Again it just feels more comfortable for me until we finish eating.

• Like 1
lavenderandvelvet
Oh, and as to why it's a pet peeve for some - I have a feeling they're jealous ;)

LOL! I think you are right, I am also a little jealous when I am particularly feeling like I haven't had enough affection recently.

But seriously, in modern restaurants and so on, the default volume is loud. If you don't want to yell, it is nicer to sit next to each other.

todreaminblue

if i am with someone i like the physical closeness of side by side.....makes me feel ....happy...i also will always choose to sit near a wall and not like...out in the open.....i certainly dont do it for bragging rights....i feel like i have two walls then and i can eat in peace.....and share i love sharing a good meal even if its not reciprocated.....taking from my plate and my fork is an intimacy...i normally give the first forkful....to my man....deb

• Like 1

I sit next to even my same sex friends if we're in a place that's a bit noisy (in chairs, not a booth) so we can hear each other. It's only PDA if you're making out. If you're just sitting there talking and eating, it's not PDA at all, so just don't be making out.

• Like 1

My ex liked to do this sort of thing at times. Actually, she wanted to be touching me as much as possible. It was cute until the BPD reared its ugly head.

todreaminblue
mobsters always sat facing the entrance

back in the underbelly days of kings cross Australia.....the mobsters would sit in the pizza parlor also owned by them always to the back near the kitchen facing the entrance......i developed a dislike...of pizza back then..who knows what meat was on them.......deb

• Like 1

We want a table in the back. Waaay in the back, capiche?

• Like 2
Ruby Slippers

I've read the dominant party tends to naturally face the entrance. It seems to be true in my experience. Head of the tribe, protection kinda thing.

• Like 2
healing light

My former stepfather worked in security and was a marine; he always did this, as well. Felt like he had the whole place sized up right after we sat down.

A pet peeve? Seriously? There are all kinds of reasons you might sit next to your partner: the tables are too large, the restaurant is loud, the sun is in your eyes, the chair is wobbly, etc.

If someone is looking at couples and thinking "hmph, they're trying too hard to prove they're happy!" then they should probably get some help.

This response made me laugh. I have never even thought about couples sitting side by side vs. across from each other. I don't care either way, it's not something I'd take notice of. I could see the appeal of your partner sitting next to you.

That being said, I had a friend I had rejected many times throughout the years and he would always sit next to me in a booth with his leg touching mine. So I would scoot away, and he's scoot closer, and pretty soon I'd end up literally smashed against the wall with no where to put my arms and his leg still touching mine. Hahah. That's the only time I really wished someone sat across from me instead.

• Like 3

I've often joked that I have an invisible border extending a certain distance around me. I don't want anyone getting in my space out in public. Including a romantic interest. I'm not into holding hands in public either.

In private, with the right person, that border disappears.

I think seeing others smooshed up together triggers my own space issues. I'm certainly not jealous :)

• Like 2

We (sorry to offend with the "we" :laugh:) sometimes sit across from each other and sometimes next to each other in restaurants. Loudness is definitely a huge determinant of which way that goes. I can't believe for some that would be a PDA. If I sit next to my mother at a restaurant, and we lean close, is that also considered a PDA? ;)

This is super annoying and immature. It says to me that the couple has nothing meaningful between them other than physical contact, and they don't even care about eating the meal in the restaurant because they are crowding each other's plate-to-face arm movement. Save the money and just go neck in the backseat of the car instead, but please don't subject the rest of us to your mawkish, horn-doggery.

• Mad 1

Wth is pda anyway.

But eh , who cares how they sit or where. we've done that too so what. Sometimes we want to others we'll sit where ever .

Who cares.

ps , actually might do it more often now just to piss people off that don't mind their own business.

Edited by chillii
  • Like 2

I honestly just think it looks stupid when two people are sitting on the same side of the booth or table and staring across the table at two empty seats. But I don't care one way or the other if people want to do that....to each their own.

• Like 2

I prefer it and a lot of the women I've dated do to. Yes it does place you close together and that's the point. I found it doesn't hinder looking at the other person much at all. Across from each other is fine as well.