A question for anyone out there who has a background in medicine...

Is it possible for someone to receive a positive ANA and Smith antibody tests and not have lupus?

I have sjoren's and scleroderma, and my most recent antibody tests were positive for SS-A (Ro) , Ss-B (La) and anticentromere B. All that was expected. The positive Smith was test not. I did have low levels of dsDNA, Ribosomal P, RNP, Scl-70 and Jo-1, but they weren't enough to be flagged.

Can other autoimmune disease also cause positive Smith and ANA results?

Sounds like Anti Smith antibody is associated with disease activity.

Is your SLE worse at present?

https://ard.bmj.com/content/78/Suppl_2/1724.3

Anti-Smith (Sm) antibody is a highly specific antibody for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).

Conclusions This study suggests that anti-Sm antibody level is associated with disease activity in patients with new-onset SLE, and that monitoring of anti-Sm antibody levels could help assess the disease activity.

and

https://lupus.bmj.com/content/6/Suppl_1/A90.1?int_source=trendmd&int_medium=cpc&int_campaign=usage-042019

Conclusions Persistence of anti-Sm antibody for 12 months was associated with higher disease activity at the corresponding time. Follow-up of anti-Sm antibody can be useful to evaluate the remained disease activity in patients with new-onset SLE.

My friend has Lyme but for a while they were treating her for lupus. I’m not sure what tests were given for them to come to the conclusion of lupus though.

An ANA is a general test. It's not specific to any autoimmune disease. It's really just used to determine if a patient needs a more detailed workup. Basically, a positive ANA tells us that you probably have an autoimmune disease, but we don't know what kind. So yes, a person could have a positive ANA and not have lupus.

• Like 2