Books to read to children

nospam99

- Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny

- The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, The Lorax

- any other Dr Seuss

And playing with the anklebiters: rattles, balls, soft blocks, peekaboo, this little piggie, flying baby (you don't want to know :p)

Walking them back to sleep in a sling at 1am singing One Hundred Bottles of Milk ...

Where Are You Going My Little One (tearing up - I'd better stop)

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

"Fox in Socks" by Dr. Seuss

I remember many, many years ago reading this to my little nephew and he would roar with laughter as I got tongue tied trying to read it.

And "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" also by Dr. Seuss

I read things to my kids that are very different from the norm, I guess. But I'm not surprised. I never really understood reading the Dr. Seuss "nonsense literature." And so many books for little kids are really odd and absurdly happy. You know the style, "The Super-Positive Little Gopher" or whatever. (Yeah, I just made that up, but you get the point.)

For my babies, I tend to read adult material. They don't understand much anyways, so they are just getting used to my presence, adult words, and the sound of my voice. So even something advanced like Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America is a decent choice.

Since my older child is a year old now and starting to talk, I use history books meant for younger children. My mother-in-law has a massive collection of stuff meant for kindergarten and elementary ages. I figure that if I'm reading, I should be educating. My mother didn't read to me at all and barely paid attention to me, so I'd like to get my kids a head start in learning what the world is all about instead of being behind when they get to school. I'm also not just reading to my kids but to my husband's other kids as well, so having something that's a bit ahead of where my kids are means that the others are getting something too.

My husband doesn't get much chance to read to his kids. But he tells stories! When I've looked up the origins of some of his stories, I found that a lot of them are from Aesop's Fables or The Book of Virtues. I guess he heard them often enough as a child that he can tell them by memory. Lots of his stories have a moral point, which I think is good. He usually tells stories to all the kids at night sitting with them on the living room floor. Or sometimes he'll tell stories of his childhood, or "slightly embellished" tales of his ancestors.

I know there are books of fairy tales, but I never really understood where to get them or how to get kids to relate to them (and some fairy tales are just plain odd, really.) My husband again has lots of those stories memorized, but I guess he must have heard them or read them somewhere. Anybody got sources?

M_M, The Fairy Tales from The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen are magnificent, and I agree, Dr. Seuss is completely overrated. I have no idea how these books got so popular. Everything is completely made up, and even though I don’t mind fantasy and make-believe, ugh - the language is just so messed up and it makes no sense, it’s just a grammar and vocabulary disaster ........ I would be worried about my kids if I read that to them.

Brown Bear brown Bear by Eric Carle

Boo Hoo Bird and Grumpy bird by Jeremy Tankard

Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell

The very Itchy Bear by Nick Bland

Mortimer, paper bag princess, I have to go, Thomas snowsuit, anything by Robert Muncsh

There are so many wonderful children’s books, but these are my favourites.

Dr. Seuss is completely overrated. I have no idea how these books got so popular.

I think dr Seuss books were a novelty for the time. And as such, they are nostalgic for many people. These days, there are so many other and much better options.

Although, Green Eggs and Ham and Oh the Places You Will Go are among my favourite.

Another option are books that have no words - Hug and Higher being two of my favourite. The parent looks at the pictures with the child and tells their own story...

• Author

What I observed by reading 'nonsense' children's books to 'my three sons' when they were toddlers was that they seemed to be stimulated by the rhythm, rhyme, and alliteration. It wasn't that the books made a lot of sense, but that they encouraged the boys to speak and grow their vocabulary. I also think that the reading encouraged parent-child bonding. Maybe All the President's Men would have sufficed. Parents can argue about whether speech and bonding are appropriate developmental milestones for the 1 to 3 y/os. I think they were. I held off on discussions (no books met my criteria) about how crappy the real world is and how disingenuous many adults are until my sons were 7 and 8. Now that they're grown, it's almost scary the extent to which they have assimilated my values. But for the 'little ones' who can't read themselves, obviously I vote to maintain innocence for as long as possible.

• Like 1

If I may, the books I listed above were recommended by early childhood educators and speech language pathologists. These books are beloved because they teach concepts that are age appropriate and the repetitive, rhythmical way that the books are written promotes language learning. That’s what I mean when I say - books have come a long way...

At one, you better believe that your child is learning language. They are developing cognitive and language skills and while it’s wonderful that you are reading to them, because having parents who read to their child is a HUGE predictor if future academic success, WHAT you are reading is also very important. If these books seem “happy” and “nonsense” to you, please consider the fact that they are all written that way for a very good reason...

• Like 1
Pete the Cat was always good...

Pete the Cat is the best!! Especially if you get a chance to listen to the audio version of the book with the singing rhymes... the kids love it! (as do I, it stays in your head all day).

I liked Five Minutes' Peace about the elephant family of Mr and Mrs Large. The pictures in there are wonderful and the stories are so telling of family life.

Postman Pat of course. Alright so he might be a stereotype but the stories are nice and the pictures of the Yorkshire Dales countryside remind me of home.

The Laura Ingalls Wilder books, like Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie. I found them fascinating.

The Allen and Ahlberg Books, such lovely poems and beautiful pics. Peepo is a favourite.

BlindsidedTwice

My son's current favorite is The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson.

He also thinks The Book with No Pictures by B.J. Novak is hilarious. :)

GorillaTheater

My kids' favorites when very young:

"Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown

Absolutely anything by Sandra Boynton

"Spooky Old Tree" by the Berenstains

"Green Eggs and Ham"

When they got a little older, they loved the "Hank the Cow Dog" books.

CautiouslyOptimistic
I recently bought my husbands nieces "I think my bum is broken" so funny!!

That reminded me of another one....Parts by Tedd Arnold. Silly and cute :).

• Like 1

My son loved the series Dog Man, Dav Pilkey.. he also wrote the Captain Underpants books..

These weren't books we read him but books he read himself when he was younger...easy to read and funny...