Why do guys on dating apps ask for Snapchat instead of a number?

Is this a new thing now? I could could care less about snapping photos back and forth or some guy wanting a cleavage shot, whatever happened to asking for a number? Surely in real life, when guys meet women in bars they ask for a number, not Snapchat. Snapchat request seems to be only online? The whole thing is ridiculous. Whatever happened to talking on the phone?

Idk it's so weird.

They always ask for insta or snapchat.

I dont have either. Some of then r good with a number and others disappear lol

I have the same problem... they also asked for kik. I always say nope nada... I tell them I am up for exchanging phone numbers and such after we meet but until then I only have one way to contact me... via an anonymous site.

Actually, I believe the Snapchat trend started with women based on safety concerns. They had concerns about giving out their phone numbers and Snapchat (among other messaging applications) became a safer alternative. Thus, men started asking for what they felt women were more likely to share early on. I know several younger women who get uncomfortable when a new guy asks for their phone number early on.

• Author

The whole social media thing I only reserve it for people I actually know and that I’m friends with, not random guys. I don’t see what the danger is giving a phone number? I mean, if a woman meets a guy at a bar for example, he will ask for a phone number not, “what’s your Snapchat?” It’s silly. In real life, men ask for numbers.

I’m a 90’s kid so I remember the good old days of guys actually asking for a phone number, calling and talking on the phone! I loved talking on the phone and having those conversations before social media existed. What happened to talking on the phone?

Because they're not so much looking to have a real-life relationship as to have someone to masturbate to this evening. Don't send any partial nude shots to anyone! It will mess up your life in more ways than one.

• Like 2
The whole social media thing I only reserve it for people I actually know and that I’m friends with, not random guys.
Snapchat is not social media, it's a messaging service.
I don’t see what the danger is giving a phone number? I mean, if a woman meets a guy at a bar for example, he will ask for a phone number not, “what’s your Snapchat?” It’s silly. In real life, men ask for numbers.
I ask for numbers, but I generally date women around my age (late 30's). If the majority of the women I encountered offered Snapchat (or some other communication method) instead, I would switch to asking for that.
I’m a 90’s kid so I remember the good old days of guys actually asking for a phone number, calling and talking on the phone! I loved talking on the phone and having those conversations before social media existed. What happened to talking on the phone?
The same thing that happened to writing letters and mailing them.
Because they're not so much looking to have a real-life relationship as to have someone to masturbate to this evening. Don't send any partial nude shots to anyone! It will mess up your life in more ways than one.

^^^^^^^ Exactly. And some people just don't care anymore.

• Like 1