Am I Messing Up?

It’s all in how you chose to define “success” and “failure.” And yes, you get to chose the definition.

That is how I would chose think about it. But, that’s just me...

Wish you all best Brenna. Keep posting, you have friends and support here.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

We had about two or three blow up fights/ break ups since my last post and after reading some other advice here I bought the book “Why Does He Do That”. I started reading it and the author kept mentioning talking to the man’s exes. So I had a sense to reach out to his last ex. She has basically been guiding me the last few days how to leave him, and I should be out by Saturday the latest. We are effectively “broken up” sleeping in different rooms, so he is expecting this.

• Like 1
So I had a sense to reach out to his last ex.

Going to guess she's an ex for some pretty valid and compelling reasons.

Good luck with your transition...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author

Speaking with her confirmed all my suspicions about my ex (yup, I actually managed to leave today and didn't wait until Saturday, I took all my clothes and stuff and left the place and left the keys inside and I have no reason to go back there).

She described the exact same experiences and had so much insight that I couldn't ignore it. I was close to the point of a breakup, but I didn't feel the urgency, and she said that I was unsafe, and should leave today. So I did.

Some things in his behavior I had attributed to myself, as I was causing them and she confirmed the exact same behaviors. I saw him in a different light and my feelings for him really changed. As in I actually don't have a boyfriend, or he is not who he is.

It's all new and I am sure I will miss him, but I will look at this thread, when I waiver. You all helped me.

Just seeing this thread. Good news you left!!! Good for YOU!

I experienced what you described for 27 years when I was with my ex husband.

It’s a “special kindof abuse”... be glad you got out!

Never make excuses for others bad behavior - and never stay when it compromises your happiness/principles.

IF my exH newer wife came to me I’m sure her complaints would be the same disrespectful things I experienced. My kids say they argue a LOT... I don’t need to wonder why.

It’s good you left. Block him. He’s bound to try and manipulate you back - every abuser needs a victim - you WERE perfect because you blamed yourself for HIS bad bahavior.

• Like 1
I was close to the point of a breakup, but I didn't feel the urgency, and she said that I was unsafe, and should leave today. So I did.

Good for you!

May I suggest that you continue to learn more about abusive relationships, do more reading or see a counsellor for a few visits. Something allowed you to get with and stay with this man despite the fact that your gut was saying otherwise... I’m sure you’ve learned quite a bit from this experience, it’s always good to learn about yourself because you don’t want to repeat this mistake such that it becomes a pattern of abusive men. Best wishes.

• Author
Just seeing this thread. Good news you left!!! Good for YOU!

I experienced what you described for 27 years when I was with my ex husband.

It’s a “special kindof abuse”... be glad you got out!

Never make excuses for others bad behavior - and never stay when it compromises your happiness/principles.

IF my exH newer wife came to me I’m sure her complaints would be the same disrespectful things I experienced. My kids say they argue a LOT... I don’t need to wonder why.

It’s good you left. Block him. He’s bound to try and manipulate you back - every abuser needs a victim - you WERE perfect because you blamed yourself for HIS bad bahavior.

Thank you for your message and I am so happy you are not in this situation any more. It really can destroy one's confidence. I agree with you and I know he might re-surface. We have broken up before and have had blown out fights that were just as devastating as breakups. Thankfully his ex girlfriend a kind soul has extended her wisdom to me and is going to check in with me periodically.

• Author
Good for you!

May I suggest that you continue to learn more about abusive relationships, do more reading or see a counsellor for a few visits. Something allowed you to get with and stay with this man despite the fact that your gut was saying otherwise... I’m sure you’ve learned quite a bit from this experience, it’s always good to learn about yourself because you don’t want to repeat this mistake such that it becomes a pattern of abusive men. Best wishes.

Thank you for your message, these are very wise and kind words. I had been in therapy before and I had made big strides, but somehow the last couple years and about a year before I met my ex, I slipped into a kind of functional depression and I didn't see my way out. And that's when I met him.

I need to do a lot of maintenance to remain happy and engaged and I slipped up. I am feeling much better and happier already, but I do get lonely in the evenings and my mind starts to bend.

• Author
Did you block him in every area so he can’t contact you?

I did not until I saw your message. I have now.

• Like 1