How many of you would consider Counselling?

Lotsgoingon

I've had web therapy sessions with two counselors and they were striking for how normal these sessions felt.

The first time I did web therapy (via skype) the counselor had moved out of town and his former patients couldn't find a new counselor who took their insurance. So he resumed practicing for his former patients--this time on weekends-via video. I went to an office where there was a secretary and the counselor skyped from home. The professional requirement (of insurance companies, I think) was that one of us (either the client or the counselor) had to be in an office.

I worried the counseling wouldn't work via video. It worked fantastically. Like after two minutes, I didn't think about it. I talked to other clients in the waiting room and they reported the same thing--the video worked fine. Like no difference. And yes, he could read body language ... And I could read his body language as well. This guy was REALLY good.

Maybe we can't view the entire body via video, but we can view enough of the body ... and posture and facial expressions for sure! ... to read the other person. I assume many people had have online video chats or attended video conferences that were more powerful and focused than in-person meetings. I certainly have.

The second time I did the video counseling ... was with another therapist ... during the time I was recovering from surgery and couldn't drive. My therapist used a HIPAA compliant app--I had to download the app and sign in and all of that ... he was in the office. We had some incredibly powerful sessions. Now, was I glad to see him in person when I recovered from the surgery and could drive again? Yes. But ... he and I remarked on how "normal" it felt to talk via video.

In fact, during one video session, I think I let my guard down and revealed my distress more deeply than I would have in person. In person I sometimes would get a "high" hit just from arriving at his office. On the drive to the therapist, I would clear my head and sorta get into a better mood. But on this day for the video conference, I was in my home office ... and put on no face! Great session. BTW: my therapist is not a young guy, and not all that into technology. Still he was blown away by how "normal" our video sessions felt.

I assume a web session could work for couples' counseling. The issue with the couples counseling will be the same as in person. How committed is the couple and the individuals to working through the relationship? How honest are they willing to be? Lots of people go to couples counseling ... because one of the partners doesn't have the confidence to fully stand up to the other and draw a boundary. This person suggests couples counseling ... really thinking the counselor will "side" with them ... and that the counselor will preach to the other partner to change their ways.

That doesn't work.

Investigate the therapist ... find out more ... but you should know something after a few sessions--know if the person is good.

Edited by Lotsgoingon
  • 3 weeks later...

I couldn’t council anyone over distances. I have done advice and offered support but half of what I’ve learned is based off of being directly in front of the patient. Body language, where their eyes are diverting during discussions. If they’re playing with their hands or biting their cheeks. The general feel of the person when they enter.

One of the most skilled practitioners that have helped me could pick people out of a group session and tell they were having issues that weren’t being discussed. Patients used to tease because barb could tell what was going on with someone with no words and barely any signs to even go off of.

Instinct is a lot harder via a tv screen..