If u and your spouse think u have a happy strong marriage...

RecentChange

I feel we have a strong marriage, been together for 18+ years and for the most part, its just easy! We get along great, we enjoy each other.

They make each other their #1 priority. He does for her and she does for him. They are literally each other's best friend and prefer each other's company over anyone including other family.

I think the key to any happy long-term relationship, regardless if you're married or not, is to never stop dating. It's too easy to get comfortable and complacent after a while. The best relationships are the ones who wake up each day with the goal of making their partner feel loved, desired and appreciated. How that looks is up to each couple for themselves.

YES absolutely! He says jump and I say how high, and vice versa. We will bend over backwards for each other - because we love each other, and we are a team. We have each other's backs through thick and thin. We both revel in each other's successes, and both feel the defeats. I want to see him happy, because his happiness makes me happy. Does that make sense?

And we are best friends, by far, there is no one else on this earth I rather spend time with. We go out on "dates" at least once a week. We really enjoy traveling together, and say how much we can't stand it when other friends tag along. Because when its just us, its easy. We are on the same page as to what we want to do - and often that means I tag along while we do something that interests him - and you got it, he happily comes with me for the stuff I enjoy.

We love each other so much, even though I may not be lets say interested in bike riding like he is - but I have made a point to learn a lot about it, and I support him in it (he does the same with my equestrian stuff).

We start every single morning by saying I love you and kissing - its part of our habit before we leave each morning. We usually text each other in the afternoon - just a little "hope you are having a good day! Love you!" note.

We have dinner together each evening, and most nights I fall asleep with my head on his lap while he strokes my hair (to be fair, I usually give him some sort of hand or foot massage each evening as well).

There is touching and kissing every single day. Sex happens a few times a week.

We do have our "private time" mine is out riding, or gardening etc, his its out riding his bike or watching / attending sporting events with friends.

But yeah, he is my best friend by a mile, and I have never met anyone else I get along with so well, see eye to eye on so many things.... Can't imagine life without him.

Another thing I noticed -- we say please & thank you to each other. Even for small things. Appreciation goes a long way.

Yes this is important too. We do it a lot especially around house work. If I get home and notice the bedroom was vacuumed "hey honey, saw you vacuumed and picked up - Thanks! Place looks great!"

Or if he isn't home but mowed the yard earlier "Thanks for mowing! It was hot, you didn't need to do that, but thank you!"

I cook dinner every night - he compliments every meal and thanks me for cooking.

Recognition and appreciation is VERY important. Its all part of not taking each other for granted, which in the end is one of the most important qualities to have.

If you love, appreciate and respect your spouse - things come much easier.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 2

We've been married for 38 years. It wasn't always easy. We had our arguments and fights.

Now we have a great marriage and I think the thing that is overlooked most often is forgiveness. There is no love without forgiveness. Forgiveness just moves so much stuff out of the way.

A nice hug and kiss hello or goodbye, I love you said a few times a day. Laughter is also good medicine.

And frequent sex

• Like 1

YES absolutely! He says jump and I say how high, and vice versa. We will bend over backwards for each other - because we love each other, and we are a team. We have each other's backs through thick and thin. We both revel in each other's successes, and both feel the defeats. I want to see him happy, because his happiness makes me happy. Does that make sense?

You've touched on something important that doesn't get discussed enough. Too many of the posts on here are about right/wrong, relative merit and his vs. hers.

I try to make things important to my wife important to me. For instance, she loves to craft, scrapbook, etc. Not my thing but I still go to 2-3 craft shows a year with her. Same with talent shows on TV (AGT, etc.), wouldn't be my first choice to watch but I sit down with her once a week to see one together. She prioritizes me and my interests in the same way.

Too many people seem locked in a battle to make sure they get theirs. It's much nicer when a partner helps you get it...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

I don't believe you can measure the strength of your marriage until you endure the low points (serious illness, unemployment, extended family problems, etc) and see what you have when you come out on the other side.