Would you choose a doctor/surgeon or yoga/pilates instructor who is obese?

thefooloftheyear
But if I wanted cocktail recipes and mixology tips, alcoholism wouldn't be an exclusionary factor.

Poor analogy....

People generally don't go to gyms or classes to keep or improve what they already are not satisfied with....They look for change.....or to resolve an issue...

To me, anyone who cant keep themselves in shape loses credibility if they are trying to promote any type of fitness or give advice...As someone who has maintained a level of fitness over my life, I get "advice" from these people from time to time....No thanks...I'm good..:laugh:

TFY

• Like 1
stillafool
My primary doctor is obese. I am interested in what he knows, not whether he practices it himself.

Yeah, I once had a gyno who was obese. He was the most gentle one I've ever had and was a very thorough doctor.

• Like 1

People generally don't go to gyms or classes to keep or improve what they already are not satisfied with....They look for change.....or to resolve an issue...

Huh? I go to a tennis cardio group 3X a week, and it's filled with good players in relatively great shape. All of whom are looking to improve on fitness and stroke production. It's been the same for any but a beginner's group in most activities I've pursued...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
amaysngrace

No. I’d go to people who walk the walk rather than talk the talk.

I just wouldn’t see them as competent.

• Like 1
Veronica73
So I was just hoping to get people’s honest opinions on an anonymous forum, though I understand some may not be completely honest for fear of political correctness bashing.

I was being completely honest.

• Like 2
CautiouslyOptimistic
Poor analogy....

To me, anyone who cant keep themselves in shape loses credibility if they are trying to promote any type of fitness or give advice...As someone who has maintained a level of fitness over my life, I get "advice" from these people from time to time....No thanks...I'm good..:laugh:

TFY

I'm thinking of a specific woman I know who has become a "coach" in a small gym I used to go to (until I hurt my back). She is about 50, short and stout, and totally exuberant about what this gym has done for her. So, she became a "coach" after being there for a while so she can share her journey as a plump, short, and overweight menopausal woman who works out religiously. She is an inspiration to a LOT of women even though her body is far from perfect.

• Like 4

Doctors/surgeons need to be dexterous, smart and clever, I do not care about their BMI.

For serious fitness fanatics then yes I guess the yoga/pilates instructor needs to be in good shape to advertise his/her competence, but for people who may be overweight, unfit, self conscious about their body, then someone more "normal" may make them feel better about themselves and keener to learn.

However, being genetically superior in looks/shape does not make anyone a great teacher.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
I'm thinking of a specific woman I know who has become a "coach" in a small gym I used to go to (until I hurt my back). She is about 50, short and stout, and totally exuberant about what this gym has done for her. So, she became a "coach" after being there for a while so she can share her journey as a plump, short, and overweight menopausal woman who works out religiously. She is an inspiration to a LOT of women even though her body is far from perfect.

That's a good point....I am probably not best suited to comment on this...I have a propensity for expecting a lot all the time, as that is generally how I operate my own life, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter that much in the Grand Scheme of life...and the older I get the more evident this fact is, and the harder it is to obtain..;)

TFY

• Like 1
She is an inspiration to a LOT of women even though her body is far from perfect.

Rather than evaluate an instructor on what they know - or how they look - I judge based on what I learn. Don't think the ability to teach is BMI related...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
Garcon1986

Sometimes that person can teach me a lot of knowledge despite the fact their BMI is high. I'm not there to counsel my teacher on better eating habits. I can compartmentalize that chap's obesity and separate it from their teaching skill.

It still doesn't change the fact that an obese gastroenterologist should not still be eating fast foods.

• Like 1

Lots of great doctors and surgeons are obese, so you'd only do yourself a disfavour if you avoid those IMO.

I've never actually seen an obese yoga/pilates instructor, is it physically possible to do all positions if you are literally medically obese? I think it would be like an obese jockey - just not physically possible for the job, even though I don't care if someone is obese.

• Like 1
  • Author

@Elswyth...

I think that might be the concern of some clients: she might not be able to demonstrate as well.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

one of my dad's friends is a Neurosurgeon at Henry Ford Hospital here in the metro Detroit area. He has a huge pot belly and I don't know how he sees the patient on the table (:laugh:). But apparently he is one of the best Neurosurgeons here in Michigan. Go figure!

• Like 1
I think that might be the concern of some clients: she might not be able to demonstrate as well.

Physical demonstration is just one form of instruction. She could be just as effective (maybe more so) having a "star pupil" demonstrate and offering feedback on your attempts to follow and learn...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
Doorstopper

I'm in my early 50s, been obese by BMI standards most of my life, yet still have always worked out fairly regularly. I can't say I'm in great shape, but hardly a couch potato.

I've been doing smallest winner programs at the Y for the last 6 or 7 years. Its a 1 hr group work out with a 30 min personal session with the trainer each week. I have been through virtually every trainer and have seem many come and go. Over the last 3 or 4 years, I have begun to slow a little; had a little back pain, so I gave up on sit-ups and only did crunches. Used to run a half mile before each workout and began to lighten up. Trainers were generally sympathetic, they pushed but not too hard. My weight would drop by 20-30 lbs over 12 weeks and over the summer, I'd put it back on and the cycle would continue over the next session.

About a year ago, I signed up late and the trainer I wanted, had all their slots filled. I got stuck with OLGA (not her real name and I pray to god that she never reads this). She is older than me, a type 2 diabetic, had a heart attack 5 years ago, probably overweight by BMI standards, works out daily now, does all kinds of endurance feats, etc.

She could understand and see that I could do more. Pushed me, harder than anyone else has ever done. I'm now doing sits ups again. My upper body strength has improved so much that I think my dog notices that I can throw the ball much farther. Last summer, I skipped the gym and gained no weight. In the fall she pushed me so hard, I had a stress test and echo-cardiogram because I was getting out of breath. Every test result was great except that my blood pressure medication needed to be reduced, Woo Hoo! Still working on the weight, but I'm starting a 5AM boot camp 3 days a week over the summer.

Anyway, I'm off to the Y to get my ass beat by OLGA. Sometimes you need a parson that knows what you need to go though, because they've been there themselves and knows exactly what your capable of.

• Like 3

Jessamyn Stanley anyone?

https://www.fastcompany.com/40429705/how-this-fat-femme-yoga-instructor-is-reshaping-the-3-trillion-wellness-industry

Yeah, I would. I believe in the Health at Any Size moment (HAES). No one should be shamed for their body, least of all when they are trying to make changes.

As for nurses, there was a good article on this recently. When you spend all your time caring for others, the time to care for yourself becomes minimal. Add into that family, night shift, the only meals you eat are from a vending machine....

So kudos to all the people that make their health and fitness a priority. Not everyone has come around to the idea that self care means eating well and moving often. We should support them to do so - to take the time out. Even if it means someone else is making dinner, preparing lunches, doing the groceries etc.

My PiYo (mixed pilates/yoga class) instructor is obese. She is also my personal trainer in the weight room. Before I knew her, I'll be honest--I judged her size. After I met her, I learned she has lost over 100 pounds and is still a work in progress. That made me appreciate her more, knowing she's put in the hard work to get to where she is. And that's also how she switched careers.

I normally see the clinic PA rather than the MD, and she is overweight. I like how she's down to earth, honest, and knowledgeable, and the kind of doctor you can tell the truth to.

• Like 1

Quite frankly no, I'd prefer someone in normal weight teaching me how to maintain my weight. For the same reason I won't be happy with someone on the other end of the spectrum, underweight or anorexic.

• Like 1
Quite frankly no, I'd prefer someone in normal weight teaching me how to maintain my weight.

Why not? Many of the greatest MLB managers and NFL coaches never made it to the big leagues. Same with tennis, most of the top instructors and coaches never played on the tour.

Knowing how to teach, instruct and motivate is a separate skill, has nothing to do with size...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Yes. A surgeon/ Dr is spending most of their time helping others. As long as they are knowledgeable, I don't see a problem.

Same for yoga/Pilates instructors. Someone can be great at yoga and be overweight. Also, some people make better instructors than practitioners.

• Like 1