Why do people string others along?

Sunlight72
Example (keep in mind I was a teenager coming from a very dysfunctional family. Any love I could get, I'd hold onto it and not let go):

You have your damage, and handled it by clinging to a guy who would repeatedly leave you.

What the hell are people like that even thinking? Why do they do that?...

If they want to go, why not actually go and not torture the other party? Where is the bloody logic in stringing people along?! For years?..

He has his damage, and handled it by grasping onto many people but not offering the vulnerability of getting all his love exclusively from only one person, who could leave him or reject him at any 'unknown' moment.

Neither of you did the healthy thing.

For the same reasons, but I bet very subconsciously.

You each simply chose different tactics.

Edited by Sunlight72

I "string people along" on tinder sometimes because the attention is nice, even if I know I'm not interested in them enough to take it any further. I've never strung someone along in "real life" though, I think that's cruel and I've been on the receiving end of that before.

People will often string others along until they have a better option or until the relationship is so bad that being single is better.

I usually (but not always) string a female along for only 2 to 3 months just to get some nookie and then when she starts arguments with me or criticizes my behavior I dump her.

I don't know why I am the way I am (well actually i'm pretty sure I do) but I can't repeat it here