Disturbing...do you like to watch violent movies?

eleanorrigby

The John Wick franchise is so good. All three of the movies are awesome and to me this is incredible because IME movies usually crap out on the third one. Up until John Wick, I'd always said that the only franchise I'd ever seen that didn't lose the plot on the third movie was Back to the Future. (extended movie universes excluded)

The fight scenes in Wick are the best I've ever seen in a movie

Violent, but it's so pretty.

Anyway if violence is not your thing I can see how Wick would be a bit much.

I've been into horror/violent movies all my life, but there have still been a couple of movies that exhausted my horror/violence/gore capacity, so go slow. :-)

As far as Keanu goes, don't be concerned. As far as I know, he is as nice as he appears. I've never met him, but I worked with a few people who knew/know him and Keanu is good people.

• Like 2
eleanorrigby
I'm going to take a wild guess that one's standing testosterone levels have something to do with how much one enjoys violent shows, etc. I could be wrong.

Damn I must have some mac daddy estrogen flowing in my body to damp down all my testosterone because I'm all about violent movies :laugh:

• Like 2
The only thing that turned my stomach was this episode of Hoarders where a woman was literally pooping in jugs and get a high off of eating fecal contaminated food. That was just nasty.

I don't recall that episode, would love to see it

I don't recall that episode, would love to see it

Look up poop lady on you tube and if you have a weak stomach do not watch it.

RecentChange

Nope, I don’t.

Well, first I have to confess that I rarely watch movies as I do not enjoy them for the most part and find them a waste of time (for me).

That said - I avoid excessive violence, horror, etc. I just do not need that kind of stuff tossing around in my head.

Why clutter my head with terrible things - when I could instead fill it with beautiful things?

That’s my take at least. My husband watched one of those John Wick movies this weekend - while I read a book and worked on a sewing project ignoring the movie.

• Like 1
eleanorrigby
You like foreign movies? A lot of South Korean movies have some very good violent scenes. I like The Man From Nowhere.

I've passed by that movie a few times and thought of downloading it, but I find it difficult to focus when I have to read subtitles, I feel like I miss too much, so there are loads of movies that would be right up my alley if not for the language barrier.

Sounds like that one might be worth the effort though.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I've read tons of True Crime books, seen many documentaries on serial killers. I even have the A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers, and I love gory movies. I can watch surgical procedures on Youtube for hours on end.

I am also a very gentle, soft-spoken nurse, lol.

I am actually really grateful people like you exist. I am someone who can't even believe the TV show "Dr. Pimple Popper exists." It makes me gag just to see the commercials for it. But, someone has to do this gross crap, and I'm glad God made us all different so that some of us are A-OK with it. Thank you :).

• Like 1
eleanorrigby

^^^ I'm one of those people! (I can't believe I'm admitting this here)

Something about watching people purge their bodies of contaminated filth is just satisfying.

It's like attending an exorcism, you just sit in the shadows and root for them to get it out.. get it allllll out.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
^^^ I'm one of those people! (I can't believe I'm admitting this here)

Something about watching people purge their bodies of contaminated filth is just satisfying.

It's like attending an exorcism, you just sit in the shadows and root for them to get it out.. get it allllll out.

Omg....to quote one of my least favorite phrases...."I. Can't. Even."

• Like 2
major_merrick
I'm going to take a wild guess that one's standing testosterone levels have something to do with how much one enjoys violent shows, etc. I could be wrong.

I wonder about that too. I also wonder if watching something violent affects one's hormone levels. For one thing, I've noticed that my response to watching violent battle scenes (not murder, more into the battle stuff) and my response to being around or near actual violence is similar.... It REALLY increases my sex drive afterwards.

I remember back in the day some friends showed me a website called rotten .com. It had some very gory pictures.

I can't watch gory stuff (even GoT gets a bit too much for me sometimes), but violent scenes that don't explicitly show blood and gore is OK for me, albeit not really my preference.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people who enjoy it. It's all a fantasy and nobody is actually being hurt. TV relies a lot on shock value and drama - nobody really wants to watch a movie about that nice couple next door that spends their Sundays gardening and visiting grandma.

I like the level of violence to match the movie. It it's a war film then it's not realistic without some blood and guts but many times implied violence can be just as good if not more soul shaking then if you witnessed the event. Many older movies would go off-screen and all you would hear would be the sound of gunfire or the drop of the guillotine or a shriek suddenly cut off. It was then up to your imagination to generate the images. I find implied violence more effective because I can get numb to watching bodies be brutalized in some films and I just quit caring.

amaysngrace

Law Abiding Citizen was a pretty good movie even though Gerard Butler was severely twisted in it. I still liked seeing his naked butt best of all even though he was getting arrested. :(

There is a movie from the 70s called Cannibal Holocaust that is one of the most disturbing movies I have seen.

in a hockey league with first responders. they loved to 'out gross' each other. some had pictures!!! i will NOT tell what its like to pull a body out of the river.

Back to OP ---

I went to watch John Wick 3. The only reason is because I like Keanu Reeves...I think it's too violent.
so you skipped Wick 2??? the bodies were being stacked like fire wood.

...I don't understand Keanu. He is such a kind person. why he made such movies?
paying the bills like the rest of us. if you watched how the scenes were actually made it loses it 'ickyness'.