Would you call the police on your SO?

SparklingandBroken

They'll certainly take a report But with thousands - or millions, depending on locale - of cars on the road, the options are limited...

Mr. Lucky

unfortunately the license plate # gives the address of the car's owner

I personally would pick my partner up and drive him home. I have no problem offering rides if/when he has too many...

But if he actually gets behind the wheel of a car when he is drunk and it happens again and again, such that he is acting irresponsibly and putting lives at risk - sure, I would call the police. I would also pack my bags and leave the relationship... I have no interest in dating an alcoholic.

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 1
If you are in a committed relationship, you have the obligation to protect your partner. No matter what.

We got robbed once. The thief and his girlfriend had a fight a few weeks later and she reported his thefts. Police checked it out, we got our stuff back. I really don't see that she did anything wrong.

• Like 1
  • Author
SparklingandBroken
If you are in a committed relationship, you have the obligation to protect your partner. No matter what. And that never Never NEVER involves calling the damn cops. The consequences to your partner also affect you, in case you can't figure that one out.

Anybody who would consider calling the cops on their partner for any reason simply doesn't deserve to have a partner. The police aren't your friends - they are there to fine (rob) you, beat you, and take your rights.

That said, you are under no obligation to remain in a relationship with someone who is repeatedly stupid. Driving drunk is stupid.

And what about in the case of DV? You would advise someone NOT to call the cops because of your personal opinions re: police?

And yes, I am aware that if your partner was arrested for DUI that it would affect the spouse, but I was mostly asking for discussion on moral obligation. I work in healthcare and see the other end of what drunk driving does. Was curious about what most people would respond.

major_merrick

Your moral obligation is FIRST to yourself, your household and your partner. Always. If it is them or the rest of society, you pick them. Otherwise, you're disloyal. Where I grew up, being disloyal was about the worst thing that you could be.

As for domestic violence, that falls under the "you're not obligated to continue to live with an idiot" clause. If you can't work it out you can always leave, or (shocker!) fight back. What makes you think the cops won't beat you just as badly as your partner? And they have immunity because of their stinking badges, which makes it much harder to fight them. If you lose, they kill you. If you win, they prosecute you (or come back with more buddies and kill you.) Haven't you seen all the police abuse in the news over the last few years? There's nothing helpful about the police.

I am a very loyal person as long as a person is loyal to me. My ex showed supreme disloyalty to me in every way and when she proved she was a threat to me and my wife I called the cops. She shot at me and drove so was I supposed to find her and then deal with her?

• Like 1
crispytoast

I would not call the police on my partner for driving drunk. But also, if it was regular that she got sh*t wasted out at that bar where I'm not there getting sh*t wasted with her where I can go hey let's take an Uber back together, she wouldn't be my partner very long. I have zero trust for a partner that frequently goes out and gets so drunk that she can't safely control a motor vehicle. That means she also can't safely make responsible personal decisions.

Also, if a partner or family member ever called the cops on me, I would never speak to them again. I already lost 6 months of my life in high school over my parents and a victimless nonviolent offense that had nothing to do with them and that was the only pass they will get. They now know they f*cked up so I forgave them. Information about police brutality and prison industrial complex wasnt as widespread back then.

Edited by crispytoast
. I have zero trust for a partner that frequently goes out and gets so drunk that she can't safely control a motor vehicle. That means she also can't safely make responsible personal decisions.

People do not realize how little alcohol it takes before you cannot safely control a motor vehicle. I cannot do it after 1 drink: by 1, I mean 1.5 oz of hard liquor (a shot) or a 7 oz glass of wine. I have a low tolerance in terms of how alcohol interacts with my blood chemistry. Still I enjoy a glass or two of wine, even the big ones :D but I make sure I don't have to drive. Now that it's summer approximately once a week I will meet a GF / neighbor after work at the clubhouse bar of our community center & have my husband pick us up on his way home. By your standard I "frequently" (once per week) go out without my husband & get "so drunk" I can't control a motor vehicle because <gasp> I probably had 2 glasses of wine, yet I think you would agree I make responsible choices.

A lot of this is about making good choices. In this day & age with so many transportation choices, there is no excuse. Even the most hardcore raging alcoholics I know still take an Uber.

crispytoast

Hmm I didn't think about it like that. Most women I've dated could drink a sailor under the table. I was thinking more if she's out at the pub slamming drinks on the regular. I had an ex that would get sloppy drunk often and it's a huge turn off for me. Even if I were there, I'd be embarrassed that she's stumbling around yelling to everyone in sight.

I can drink a sailor under the table too but I know that 1 drink will cause my BAC to be above a .08, which is the legal limit in my state. So the minute I pick up a drink I put down my car keys & don't pick them back up for at least 8 hours after my last drink.

People are going to drink what they are going to drink. Trying to get somebody to stop drinking is a waste of time. They have to want to stop.

My line in the sand is the ones who drive. I will always drive a drunk home if I'm sober or make other arrangements for them if I'm not. Some people will call that enabling. I think it's protecting the other innocent people in the world who don't need to deal with a drunk person operating 3,000+ pounds of steal at speed.

major_merrick

Back when I was drinking, I'd slam down the drinks and be way too drunk to drive. Usually that meant staying where I was at. I've never lived in a place where Uber or taxis actually existed, or if they did were safe enough to take. Basically, if you can't drive, you better have a friend who can or a place to crash.

I've never really been "borderline" drunk, as in too drunk to drive but not so drunk that I don't KNOW I'm too drunk to drive. I guess I'm a girl of extremes. Nowadays, that's extreme sobriety because of the pregnancies and other stuff I have going on.

Back when my husband would drink, it was at parties at friends' houses. I remember a couple of times when he didn't drive home, but just left his car where he'd been. I always thought that was the right choice, although I'm glad he gave up the alcohol entirely several months ago.

If your partner likes to drink, I'd say the best thing to do is be willing to have the parties at your place, and provide plenty of floor space for those who want to curl up right where they're at. I've been to lots of parties that turned into sleepovers like that.

amaysngrace

If he turned down every other reasonable option and was adamant to get behind the wheel after he’d been drinking himself into drunkenness, then I would call the cops and have no problem with that.

• Like 1
OatsAndHall

If all other attempts to keep them from getting behind the wheel have failed, yes I absolutely would and have. My ex was chit faced drunk and wanted to go out and grab cigarettes. I told her that I would drive as I was sober, she wouldn't give up the keys, hopped in the car and took off. I called the cops on her immediately. She didn't drive very far and managed to avoid being picked up but she certainly got a wake up call when I informed her that I called her in. It's not about teaching them a lesson; it's about keeping them and other people safe.

Nah. My wife doesn't drink and drive but hypothetically if she tried I'd either drive her or drag her sexy ass out of the car and take away the keys myself. The only guy I can think of who was in the right for calling the cops on his wife was John Wayne Bobbit. Handle that stuff yourself.

If the genders are reversed, call a male friend of his instead to go deal with him. Or withhold blowjobs until he shapes up. Calling the cops and getting him charged with a DUI isn't going to help things.