Babysitting Requests from future daughter in law

Mrs._December

Damn...I wish I had had a complete push-over who would have taken my son for me twice a week when he was a baby even though I wasn't working. And I wish I had had the bronze balls to think it was perfectly ok to try to take even MORE advantage of said elderly person and ask her to drive half an hour to come watch my kid while I 'help' someone ELSE make their living.

What's wrong with this woman? No wonder her marriage to your son is failing.

You're already watching your grandson WAY too much for this princess. I'd be telling Miss Thang she's lucky she's already GETTING 2 days a week out of me and she has a better chance of shaking hands with Jesus than she does of getting a 3rd day of you providing curb service and 'on site' babysitting while she wastes even more of her time NOT bringing home a paycheck.

Edited by Mrs._December
  • Like 1
Dandelioness

I didn't think she was taking advantage. She simply asked a yes or no question. They are family. It's quite common for grandparents to look after their grandchildren (for free) and it's up to the individual family to discuss whether or not this is an option.

The daughter-in-law has to work 2 days a week while caring for a 7 MONTH OLD. How sad. Where I'm from, we have up to 18months paid Maternity Leave which I'm so grateful for. It really breaks my heart hearing parents having to send their 6week old to DAYCARE because their laws don't support their rights to care for their own children. It's great that grandparents are able to step in and help out.. allowing us to pay it forward with our children's children. That's what families do for each other, if/when possible.

She wanted to help a senior out with her house duties, as she's unable to do so herself. Nothing "princess" about that. I'd probably ask the daughter-in-law to drive the child to 'my' house instead so I wouldn't have to pay the expense of gas for the sake of a stranger.

If 3 half days per week is too much, I'd suggest she just say so.

Edited by Dandelioness
  • Like 1
Damn...I wish I had had a complete push-over who would have taken my son for me twice a week when he was a baby even though I wasn't working. And I wish I had had the bronze balls to think it was perfectly ok to try to take even MORE advantage of said elderly person and ask her to drive half an hour to come watch my kid while I 'help' someone ELSE make their living.

What's wrong with this woman? No wonder her marriage to your son is failing.

You're already watching your grandson WAY too much for this princess. I'd be telling Miss Thang she's lucky she's already GETTING 2 days a week out of me and she has a better chance of shaking hands with Jesus than she does of getting a 3rd day of you providing curb service and 'on site' babysitting while she wastes even more of her time NOT bringing home a paycheck.

Actually the OP has stated more than once that the mom IS Working during the 2 days of babysitting. I also wouldn't neccesarily call someone who is 66yrs old elderly. It is older and a time of slowing down but not really old. Not sure why so much judgement is being spewed at the mom just for asking. If someone ask to do something I don't want to do, I just politely say no, I don't hate on them just because they asked.

OP you are not obligated to do anything you don't want to do. If you don't have any desire to do extra babysitting then just say no. I don't babysit my grandchildren often because I still work fulltime but when I'm asked my answer isn't based on why I'm being asked, it's based on whether or not I'm free and how I feel. If I am available I do it otherwise I say no. Exactly what the parents are going to be doing while I'm babysitting is really none of my concern.

• Like 1