Happy Lemming
Wife #1 needs to be put in her place.

100% Agree ^^^^

If memory serves Wife #1 is also the one that commented on how large Major's vagina was.

I'm still appalled by that comment.

• Like 2
  • Author
major_merrick

Yeah, #1 is a problem for me. She settled for a while because she was really tired at the end of her pregnancy and immediately after giving birth. Now she's getting her energy back, so the game of "pick on the blonde" begins again. I try really hard to be nice to her and be affectionate with her, but in the end I just get stressed out. I try to fix whatever it is that irritates her, but then she moves to something else.

Sounds like there isn't much of a tan option for me that will work, so I'm just gonna stick with being pale. Better than wrinkles and spots. I know my husband and my girlfriends wouldn't really want me to change anyways, and #4 once said she wished her skin was lighter. I guess nobody gets what they want :laugh:

• Like 2
Wow. Almost makes it seem like the sun is a death sentence. But, I saw a news article today about Earth's disappearing magnetic field and increasing radiation.

I guess I'm kind of stuck being me. If I tried any kind of spray or chemical tan, #1 would laugh me out of the house. I do wonder....if being in the sun gives you cancer, how do so many people go their entire lives working outdoors without sunscreen?

Not all skin cancers are melanoma. The skin cancer my father had just required surgery to remove it. My grandma also had a cancerous spot removed from her face by surgery. Then she needed plastic surgery to repair the damage the first surgery caused. But it wasn't melanoma, hadn't spread and didn't require any treatment beyond surgery.

PhillyLibertyBelle
100% Agree ^^^^

If memory serves Wife #1 is also the one that commented on how large Major's vagina was.

I'm still appalled by that comment.

God I’m indignant on Merrick’s behalf.

Jealousy takes many forms... in many non-Caucasian cultures people wish to be paler. I don’t get it. All skin tones are beautiful. What makes people ugly is ugly behaviour, words and deeds.

Hang in there Merrick

• Like 1
TheFinalWord

I agree with enigma. I prefer fair skin on a woman. I use the word fair instead of pale, because pale has a negative connotation to it. Fair skin looks more feminine. Prettier. Tan skin looks more rugged and masculine to me.

There's a reason they called them "fair maidens" ;)

• Like 2

I don't get the obsession of some Americans with tanning lol.

Sun makes you age too fast. too much Alcohol does that as well!

People in their 20s look 20 years older because of too much sun exposure and alcohol.

Plus, it causes skin problems and some worse cases of cancer.

If you like to look tanned, put some bronzer and that's it!Just don't do it to impress your husband, stop comparing yourself with others.

• Like 1
  • Author
major_merrick

I kind of doubt that alcohol is why I look older....I think stress has something to do with it. Of course, I can't imagine that cigarettes and substance abuse helped my cause when I was younger. I kind of hoped that maybe looking more tan would help me look younger, but I guess it won't.

Pale skin was a sought after commodity at one time. Use what you've got.

We had a friend in her 40's, sun worshipper, had the pool, etc.

Felt bad went to the doctor and it was a melanoma. From the diagnosis she went into hospice a week after and died 3 weeks later.

It was truly shocking at how fast it happened.

CautiouslyOptimistic
i'm brown so I don't have worry about tanning. I can spend as much time in the sun as I want without having to wear sun block. Actually I've never had a sunburn in my life

I know this is an old post, but this morning on GMA they were talking about melanoma. They specifically said brown skinned (well, they said African Americans) are NOT exempt from using sunscreen. Further, it's usually brown skinned folks who fare worse after a melanoma diagnosis because they've waited too long to get it checked.

• Author
major_merrick

I'm curious about how everybody here seems to know folks who have/had melanoma. I've literally never known a person who had it (and discussed it.) And I live and work around a lot of outdoors people. My father in law worked in construction (among other things) and never used sunscreen. No melanoma. Same thing for my GFs' family, and many others.

Of course, knowing my luck I'd probably be the first out of everybody to get it, but still. Seems odd. It would be interesting to see some kind of math on race/class/occupation/location and how that might affect who gets melanoma and who does not. Something tells me sunscreen isn't the only factor.

RecentChange

I haven’t even read all the responses...

Just say no to tanning!

I am not going to humble brag, I am going to straight out brag that most people guess I am at least a decade younger than I am, and practically fall of their chairs when I say I am 40. Then they ask what my secret to young, wrinkle free skin is.

Sunscreen sunscreen hats and sunscreen!!!

I am fair, I don’t tan easily, and my older sister gave me the best advice when I was about 14. Give up on that tanning BS trying to look like your friends, and instead protect your skin, you’ll thank me later.

And boy am I thankful! I am an outdoorsy type, as are many of my long time girlfriends - but holy moly, all of that sun has not been kind to their skin. One is already getting Botox treatments.

And saying that makes it sound like CANCER isn’t reason enough!

LOVE WHO YOU ARE. Quit comparing yourself to the other ladies in the house. That is simply a recipe for unhappiness

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I'm curious about how everybody here seems to know folks who have/had melanoma. I've literally never known a person who had it (and discussed it.) And I live and work around a lot of outdoors people. My father in law worked in construction (among other things) and never used sunscreen. No melanoma. Same thing for my GFs' family, and many others.

Of course, knowing my luck I'd probably be the first out of everybody to get it, but still. Seems odd. It would be interesting to see some kind of math on race/class/occupation/location and how that might affect who gets melanoma and who does not. Something tells me sunscreen isn't the only factor.

4 people that I know of. Only one has died from it. 1 was a college friend. He died maybe 10 years after we graduated. He was such an amazing human. So not fair. Another was a lady I met in a neighborhood I lived in a few years ago. She became a crusader for it after she had her thigh carved up to get rid of it. She never remembered we had met because she had bad "chemo brain." I just looked her up on FB and she is still alive, seems to be doing ok. Third is a friend actually from that same neighborhood, but now she moved out of state. She's around 40, gorgeous Slovakian woman, mom of 3. Last year had melanoma on her scalp :(. She's doing well now. Fourth, teenage daughter of an online friend of mine I've never met (we met through an online infertility support group many moons ago). Hers is on her arm I believe. With the exception of my Slovakian friend, I would say all of them were/are fair skinned and didn't tan well. So, out of all 4 of them, only one was diagnosed after the age of 50.

CautiouslyOptimistic

That is terrible, WB :(. I can see this has struck a really sad nerve with you :(.

RecentChange

As for melanoma.

My uncle - fit runner at the time - came down with a “cough” it was melanoma that internalized, and within 9 months he was dead.

My step mother has had 3 Malignant lesions removed.

My boss has malignant lesions removed regularly.

My best friends sister has a large malignant lesion removed in her 20’s.

The lady I ride horses with had a malignant lesion removed 2 years ago.

Those are the ones I can think off off the top of my head.

I am out riding my horse in the sun several hours a day. It’s sunscreen on my face and upper body, then a long sleeve over that, and a hat for me.

CautiouslyOptimistic

She was a 16 year old high school student on her high school swim/diving team that spent as much time as possible in a pool.

My friend's teen who has it is also a swimmer :(.

I don't know what class has to do with anything at all.

• Author
major_merrick

I'm curious about the race/class/etc. stuff due to my personal experience. I grew up in a poor/working class environment. My husband has worked with a lot of laborers over the years, and is outside a lot. It would seem to me that people putting shingles on roofs all summer or people working in the fields would be at great risk of getting melanoma and would be dying in great numbers, yet I haven't noticed that to be the case. Thus, the thought - why is the sun so deadly to some, but not to others?

I kind of doubt that alcohol is why I look older....I think stress has something to do with it. Of course, I can't imagine that cigarettes and substance abuse helped my cause when I was younger. I kind of hoped that maybe looking more tan would help me look younger, but I guess it won't.

Well it might. Not the tan but the sun. How are your vitD levels? VitD deficiency is pandemic now, we owe it to the sunscreen nazi...

But sun also may make you wrinkle. Dosing is everything.

Why don't you tan artificially (spray tan) to see if you like the look? It will wash out soon and you take no risk but the cost.

Happy Lemming

Sunscreen sunscreen hats and sunscreen!!!

100% agree... I am pale, as well.

Over the weekend, I had to go up on the roof. So I covered every part of my body that I could (including gloves), put on my big bucket hat and slathered on sunscreen for my face and neck. I know my neighbors think I have a screw lose and I have to admit I looked stupid, but I was protected. Got the job done and got back inside, none the worse for wear.

CautiouslyOptimistic
It would seem to me that people putting shingles on roofs all summer or people working in the fields would be at great risk of getting melanoma and would be dying in great numbers, yet I haven't noticed that to be the case.

Do you know if any of them have died of cancer at all? I mean, it's possible some of them did have skin cancer and it was caught too late, metastasized to other parts of the body, and you just didn't know it.

• Author
major_merrick

C-O, I've actually known very few people who died of cancer, or even had cancer. Where I grew up, it was perhaps because people died of less natural causes and more due to accidents, injuries, or foul play. Most people I've known who had cancer had lung cancer from smoking. One girl I grew up with died of lymphoma as a teenager, and another had leukemia but survived. My husband's grandfather died of colon cancer, but that was likely due to alcohol and poor diet.

• Like 1
Garcon1986

More dark skinned people have more melanin which is a natural sunscreen, whose production quantity is encoded in the DNA. This stuff is a natural sunscreen. However, different people have different capabilities to repair UV light related DNA damage, hence the wide variety of susceptibilities to skin cancer. Both African Americans and Caucasians get skin cancer.

I have an olive complexion (Greek) and burn like a lobster. The last time I went to the beach, I was covered head to toe in spf 50 and within an hour, burned to a crisp. :( So much for melanin.

Being outdoors with an activity is one thing but sitting out to tan is for the birds in my opinion. I think all natural complexions are beautiful and fit the overall aesthetic of each individual.

A healthy glow looks great on everyone but intentional tanning probably won't increase your natural beauty MM. Your husband most likely enjoys the outer as well as the inner differences between his wives. ;)

thefooloftheyear

I am not an climatological expert, but I can say for sure that the sun is more intense than it was in my youth...Back then we were out all day all summer long and while I do remember being somewhat "sun fatigued" its not like it is now..

When I am out in the sun, I feel like an egg in a frying pan if I am out there for even just a half hour...Sure, I get that everything is harder to tolerate as we age, but I am in better than average condition for my age and have no vices, so its not just that reason..

Bottom line is anyone is nuts if they want to deliberately expose themselves to it...Its not worth it...If you want to see this first hand go down to Florida and take a look at some of the locals, they look like shrunken head dolls and most aren't even close to the natural old age period of wrinkles..

Think about this as well...Most animals disappear during the summer months during the day and wont bother venturing out, preferring to do their foraging at night or in the early dawn or late afternoon hours..They have more sense than we do..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 3