Should I quit my new job after 3 months? I like the job, but I don't like my boss

I realize the HR-types don't like job hopping. That said a bad manager is THE reason to leave a job - you'll get a bad reference when you do leave, or no reference at all, you could get fired quite easily, your performance reviews will be lacking, your chances for advancement would be severely limited, etc. etc.

If I didn't like my boss I would for sure start applying for other positions, especially 3 months in where you should be in the honeymoon phase.

Run, don’t walk. No job is worth your health. Find another job and resign ASAP. Yes, all jobs are stressful, but not to that extent.

I worked for a woman exactly like you described for 2 years, because the renumeration was exceptionally good. Let me tell you, it won’t get better. Thinking back now, I regret not leaving. That’s 2 years of my youth I wasted being unhappy and constantly in therapy.

I feel it’s unfair that job-hopping is regarded negatively. A short stint on a resume doesn’t necessarily mean there’s an issue with the employee. In many cases, it’s the bosses who are toxic.

• Author

Thank you everyone so much for the advice!! Just a quick update - so I decided to stay, but only for a couple of months OR if a recruiter contacts me (which has been happening on LinkedIn, by the way :) ). The two reasons why I decided to stay is because 1. this is the industry I want to work in - so I figure I'll get some experience to put on my resume, and 2. her head boss really likes me and I think he notices that something is up. He keeps questioning the work that my boss is giving me.

OH and also, just like what another poster had said earlier, my boss still continues to take credit for my work. I created a report for a client of ours. My boss had tweaked a few things, but 95% of the report - the data collection, the analysis, the design, all of that - was my work. And the client came back and said they are taking action using the insights I provided them! :bunny: We have a slack channel where the whole company puts in our "key wins", and my boss decided to take all of the credit and didn't even mention my name. The post received a lot of accolades and people congratulating her as well. :( Not the first time something like this has happened though.

I took a job once that I felt it also necessary to document what the supervisor told me. It was an odd situation. The company had the same employees and most of the smallish crew had been there over 30 years and the most recent hire before me had been there 5 years, so everyone there had total seniority and I had no credibility from being new.

Well, the supervisor was this woman who'd been there 38 years and she was forgetful. It didn't help that the product we were dealing with all kind of looked alike on the surface but had different minute characteristics in manufacturing depending on its purpose, so it was hard to differentiate between one purchase from one client and one from another just from memory. So I began keeping a Word file on everything I did.

So the supervisor came and got a folder I was working on one day and I wrote that in my Word file so that if I needed the file later, I'd know why I couldn't find it. A couple of weeks passed and she asked me for an update on the file. I checked my notes, told her, last I had to do with it, she came and got it from me. She denied that, had completely forgotten it, and was very mad that I would contradict her. I showed her my dated note. That made her even madder and she got rid of me as soon as possible. Yes, she later found the file on her own desk.

So yes, a bad boss can be a reason to move on. This one sounds like she just took over there, so you might give it another month or two to see if she settles down any. But look for a job while you already have one.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Author

Hey everyone! So a bit of an update.

1. Things got worse (not surprisingly). I started to document everything, and when she did the flip flop, I started to show to her (in writing) what she said. After showing it to her, she'll ask me to go outside and "have a talk", where she would put the blame on me once again (newest excuse is I'm too much of a literal thinker).

2. Things escalated to the point where I actually cried at work. I went to HR and asked if they're any other open positions in the company or advice on how to fix things. They told me to show the documentation to her manager and to also have a confidant in the office. As of yesterday, the HR person had asked me if I truly see myself working for my manager - h*ll no I do not lol but I decided to tell them I'll "think about it".

3. My manager also had been taking credit for all of my good work. I wouldn't mind this, but I think she's telling others that I'm bad at what I do. For instance, I would create a powerpoint and if we have a "win", my manager would take all the credit without giving me any recognition. I'm currently undergoing training with another manager, and she keeps showing slides that she claimed my manager made saying "this is the way to do things" when I was the one who made them.

4. So currently applying to jobs, in hopes my situation turns out better.

TLDR; If you're ever in this situation, run. Fast.

• Like 1
For instance, I would create a powerpoint and if we have a "win", my manager would take all the credit without giving me any recognition. I'm currently undergoing training with another manager, and she keeps showing slides that she claimed my manager made saying "this is the way to do things" when I was the one who made them.

That's an easy fix, I had a committee head who used to do the same thing.

Just put your name on each slide and lock that cell so it can't be edited. So your Manager could show it to anyone she wanted, but "Prepared by angelsface200" would come up each time...

Mr. Lucky

I am so sorry you are going through this stressful period. Based on my own past experience with bad bosses.... I say stick it out... keep your head down and don't tell anyone your problems period! Learn to be the biggest brown nose you know how to be. That is the advise I give my kids. Look for another position, network within the org and hopefully you can just move to another department.

Unemployment sucks... I have been out of work for 6 months now and the jaunt before that.... 2 years!

I am happy to say... I start my new job next Tuesday! I hope my new boss turns out to be the best I ever had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
I am so sorry you are going through this stressful period. Based on my own past experience with bad bosses.... I say stick it out... keep your head down and don't tell anyone your problems period! Learn to be the biggest brown nose you know how to be. That is the advise I give my kids. Look for another position, network within the org and hopefully you can just move to another department.

Unemployment sucks... I have been out of work for 6 months now and the jaunt before that.... 2 years!

I am happy to say... I start my new job next Tuesday! I hope my new boss turns out to be the best I ever had.

Congrats! And I hope things turn out well. :)