Was i right to report my co workers ?

I agree that you did right. It may start with a little food and escalate. They might steal the residents things. It happens quite a bit, I believe.

One answer is for the management to leave out good muffins or treats for everyone, including all staff. I know a nursing home that did that.

You'll probably be the type of coworker nobody wants to work with, plus management really doesn't like snitchers, deep down underneath, because it causes paperwork and maybe short staffed, which needs to be replaced, to fill shifts.

Most procedures and policies state that you sort out descepancies with the coworker directly, before escalating it to higher management.

In my opinion, you should have approached them personally first... "Hey guys, you know we're not supposed to be taking the residents' food. I'm just telling you cos i'm watching your back... You know, procedures and policies and all". I'd almost take a bet that these coworkers are immigrant and it sounds like you are not. It is my personal observation that a largely migrant workforce takes liberties and has different standards (mostly lower).

If the industry is short-staffed or struggling to find staff, management might not be happy with you. Innthese instances, staff are better off overlooking minor things like this, in order to keep familiar staff.

Don't you know everything is political? Management really doesn't care about the residents' cereal, they only act because they are bound by the law.

Edited by Soak
  • Like 2
In my opinion, you should have approached them personally first...

You mean like this?

When we tell them they are not supposed to, they just ignore it or don't take it seriously.I even told her that its theft and she just kept walking

Mr. Lucky

You mean like this?

Yeah, okay, fair enough. Sometimes it's in the way that you say it though, as in, the consequences for the person vs. coming across as the organisations 'watch dog', which people may resent you for and then you'll get a reputation.

Working with people is the hardest thing..

Edited by Soak
Working with people is the hardest thing..

Amen. Worked my way through school as a bartender, once had a coworker tell me "if it wasn't for these customers and fellow employees, this job would be easy!"...

Mr. Lucky

You were right to report them. People who steal from the elderly or sick disgust me. Aged care homes are underfunded enough as they are, and I’ve read news articles about how meagre some of the patients’ meals are. They don’t need thieving staff to make matters worse. It’s heartening to hear that there are people like you who do the right thing.