Is being a gamer as a hobby a repellent?

Soulinfected

• Author
Soulinfected

There's been a lot of mixed opinions on this thread. Thanks for all the input. I've come to the conclusion based on this thread that there's a chance it could be a repellent, but most people are open minded.

My boyfriend plays really often. When he’s playing on his PC, I usually do something else, like read or cook. But when he’s playing on his PS4, I watch him and we comment on what’s going on or I help him by being attentive to items/details that he overlooks because he’s playing. I’m not really a gamer, I sometimes play on game... but we do have fun when we’re doing this together. He just had surgery last week and can’t really do anything, so we’ve been doing it a lot lately ahah!

That being said, if gaming was ALL he ever did, I would have a problem with it.

• Like 1

Also, before bed, we often watch gamers on Youtube playing different games. He picks the one I find funny and we laugh together looking at those. It had become part of our routine. I try to ask questions about the games he plays and be interested in them.

• Like 1

TBH I wouldn't date a gamer even tho I am one myself. My preference is beer drinkin car guys and always be that way lol. I like having it as my own hobby for me time. My husband goes outside to tinker on his cars, and I get to play wow...it's a win win. So OP you never know you might find someone that is into doing their own thing, while you game. Space in a relationship is healthy.

Edited by smackie9
  • Like 2

I mean, every single person has played games at some time, but that doesn't make them a "gamer." It's like if you asked someone about themselves and they said "I'm a gambler." As long as it's not a priority in a person's life or their identify, to me, they're not a gamer.

• Author
Soulinfected
I mean, every single person has played games at some time, but that doesn't make them a "gamer." It's like if you asked someone about themselves and they said "I'm a gambler." As long as it's not a priority in a person's life or their identify, to me, they're not a gamer.

Anyone who plays video games regularly is a gamer. If you want to put them all into the "problem" basket then that's your opinion, which just makes you irrational. To be honest the only people I've met who put all gamers into the addiction bucket never provide any evidence to their claims and are usually OK with rotting in front of the TV for the rest of their life. It's the same old predictable "I'm not into it so it's a problem" mindset. If you play video games a couple of hours a night, you're a gamer. But you're still a gamer if you focus on your mission IN life as well as having a social life and keeping yourself healthy.

The "All people who identify as gamers have a problem" statement is an uninformed attack which just makes you look not very smart. Claims are just claims without evidence.

• Like 1

Truth is it is better to date someone who finds games and gamers interesting, rather than try to persuade someone to date you who has an anti-gaming mindset.

Compatibility is important.

Trying to put square pegs into round holes tends to lead to conflict and unhappiness.

• Like 2
  • Author
Soulinfected

I date on a weekly basis while I've been single, so I wouldn't say I have trouble dating. DO I get rejected? yes! But so do you and everyone else.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed rude remarks
  • Like 1
Shining One

Soulinfected, what age range are you dating? I've found that women over a certain age are generally intolerant of gamers and younger women range from more tolerant to active gamers themselves. Of course, there are exceptions.

• Author
Soulinfected
Soulinfected, what age range are you dating? I've found that women over a certain age are generally intolerant of gamers and younger women range from more tolerant to active gamers themselves. Of course, there are exceptions.

In thirties or late twenties. You're probably correct there - in my experience most women haven't minded, especially my ex girlfriends who I'm on friendly terms with. There's just a recent date who reacted negativity, so I wanted to ask the question here as a social experiment.

It seems the thread starter got the answers they needed, thread closed so it doesn't go downhill from here.

Thanks

• Like 2