Wife mad, got better paying job but it isn't working out.

Just remember that your wife could also be looking for herself a job with insurance. If she's doing housekeeping, she can do things far less difficult and I don't know where you live but right now in the US, we have more jobs than people, and she should try getting one with benefits herself!

I’m trying to figure out why you’d have to work 3 jobs to make $45k/yr when you have a degree. Where do you live - in a third world country?

um, I suggest you actually search the job market and see how bad it is. MBAs are not the "gold" they once were.

Wat I don't understand is why a man with an MBA is working for a "social services" company.

Op, if you really are desperate, why not join the army? You'd join at officer rank with an MBA and have excellent benefits.Health insurance, life insurance and more.

Divorce your negative, nagging wife, quit the stupid job, move very far way. Start over.

Oh what a nag she is! How DARE she expect to have health insurance! Is she out of her mind? Perhaps she should just crawl away now, lest she drag him down even further.:laugh::p

It sounds like OP's wife continues to tell him what a mistake he made on a regular basis. In my book that's nagging.

You have the conversation once, maybe twice, make your displeasure clear, and then move on to help be part of the solution whether or not it was your "mistake". As in she could be searching for a job for herself that offers healthcare.

What I don't understand is why you need health insurance to get an MRI etc. IAren't those things covered? It's not like it's a cosmetic procedure.

Oh what a nag she is! How DARE she expect to have health insurance! Is she out of her mind? Perhaps she should just crawl away now, lest she drag him down even further.:laugh::p

I think her point is that it shouldn't be entirely on the shoulders of the OP to see that his wife has health insurance.

edit: went back and read another of OP's threads and see that his wife is a high school dropout, in which case, yeah, it will probably be hard for her to find a job that has health insurance. Tough spot to be in, but honestly if I were the wife, I would not feel comfortable being entirely dependent on him for insurance.

Edited by Blanco
  • Like 1

I bet she could get a call center job or something like that that has insurance. I bet some nursing home jobs have insurance and they are forced to hire all kinds of people, including ex-cons to fill those slots.

What I don't understand is why you need health insurance to get an MRI etc. IAren't those things covered? It's not like it's a cosmetic procedure.

Ah, now I understand.

You're American ( I think)

BettyDraper
I bet she could get a call center job or something like that that has insurance. I bet some nursing home jobs have insurance and they are forced to hire all kinds of people, including ex-cons to fill those slots.

I was in the call centre industry for years. There were different tiers of call centres which required varying levels of education and experience.

To obtain a salaried position with health benefits, a high school diploma and at least 1 year of telephone customer service experience was the bare minimum.

BettyDraper
I think her point is that it shouldn't be entirely on the shoulders of the OP to see that his wife has health insurance.

edit: went back and read another of OP's threads and see that his wife is a high school dropout, in which case, yeah, it will probably be hard for her to find a job that has health insurance. Tough spot to be in, but honestly if I were the wife, I would not feel comfortable being entirely dependent on him for insurance.

I wonder if the OP's wife is interested in obtaining her GED.

I know that isn't an immediate concern but a GED could be helpful in the long run.

I was in the call centre industry for years. There were different tiers of call centres which required varying levels of education and experience.

To obtain a salaried position with health benefits, a high school diploma and at least 1 year of telephone customer service experience was the bare minimum.

I had a temp call center job once that had health insurance for the duration.

Where I live, in the Rust Belt, minimum wage is $9.45 and cost of living is fairly low. Dirt cheap compared to places on the coasts. A bit more expensive compared to places in the south. Just to give you an idea.

Typical retail jobs (grocery stores, department stores, gamer shops, that kind of thing) start at around $11.50. The larger chain retail companies do offer benefits. Perhaps your wife could work as a stock person or cashier.

Local hospitals and hotels are always looking for housekeeping help. They pay $14 and up on average and most offer benefits. Perhaps your wife could take her cleaning experience and move over to a larger company or to a hospital system to make more money with benefits.

For you,

Warehouse jobs tend to start at $15.00, more with previous warehouse experience or hi-lo certification. They also typically offer benefits.

The local plastics plant will hire anyone with any degree who can pass a drug test and is willing to work 12 hr shifts 3 days on, 3 days off, with a rotating 4th day. Their starting pay is at $18.00 with benefits and time and a half for overtime, which is guaranteed at least every other week.

The local steel mills are the same. If you have a degree, can pass a drug test, and are willing to do physical work, you're in. Nice pay, nicer benefits.

My friend has his Bachelors in Liberal Arts and works as a teacher for a temp service making about $36k a year. If he took a few classes in order to get certified as a teacher he'd be a permanent hire and make more money with better benefits.

I have another friend, PhD in Bio-Chem, who is also working as a teacher. He couldn't find a job in his field, so he adapted and found fulfilling work.

There are professional tutoring services popping up all over who'd hire a MBA in a minute. Again, good pay and benefits.

My DH makes about $45-$52k a year as a truck driver. His training cost $6,000 and took 2 weeks.

Point is, you have a degree and have shown the ability to be taught by virtue of having that degree. You have worked warehouse, so you're not afraid of physical labor and being blue collar. There are tons of options to make good money with benefits that you haven't investigated by your account here.

Think outside the box.

Also, think about living in a different box. If there's no jobs where you are, move. Go somewhere with a more lively and diverse economy. That way, if one job doesn't work out, there are other jobs to be had.

ETA: Fast food. I know, sounds horrid. However, many of our local restaurants hire people with degrees to be managers. They spend a few months training, learning how to run the store and do each job within the store, and then they're assigned a store to manage with a decent salary and benefits. Usually around $32k, but that's not too bad.

Really, man, think outside the box. Check into local manufacturing, warehouse, teaching/tutoring services, etc. You can do better. You can!

Edited by MJJean

op,

if you wife has developmental or intellectual delays, she may be considered disabled. I don't know the regulations where you live, but here, workplaces are required to offer reasonable accommodation to an employee with a disability.

That might make it a bit easier for your wife to least least gain some experience in a different field than cleaning. That might put her foot on the ladder to something better.

Alternatively, there may be work online she could do, and you as well.With your education, you could do everything from TESL ( teaching english as a second language) to offering freelance content creation in a field you know well. There's even online tutoring services that are looking for well educated individuals.

BettyDraper
I had a temp call center job once that had health insurance for the duration.

A temp call center job pales in comparison to many years of experience in that particular industry.

Besides, it doesn't make sense to give benefits to a temporary employee so your situation is obviously an outlier.