My boss has me working 80-100 hours a week. Is this excessive?

Yeah I don't buy an average of 120+ hours for anyone. It's impossible.

No it isn't you have 2 people posting on this thread that have done it and one of those is currently doing it.. I gave up those hrs in my mid 30's.. now I'm just 50-60 hrs a week 5 days a week, and on top of that when I was working up to 120hrs a week I would also work up to 54 hrs without sleep once or twice a week too...

I don't have any known mental health issues and have a business that employs many and has for 40 years..

Just because you don't or want to do it doesn't mean others can't or won't..

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying these claims from a couple of you about working 120+ hours per week for years. The impact that would have on your mental and physical health would be substantial. You would also have no time for anything, or anyone, but work and sleep. Insufficient sleep, no less.

Not true with me.. I did those hours all my 20's and half way thru my 30's and then cut back to 60-70 hrs a week and now do 50-60..

So I did those hours for 15 years..

as far as having no time for anything.. well duh... I gave up dating for the most part in my 20's for a successful business and had no social life till I stopped doing it

RecentChange

I don’t understand why anyone would want to work 100-120 whatever over the top hours....

My father taught me to work to live, never live to work. Life work balance you know?

Is that how you want to live your life? Your one shot on this earth? Toil day and night so that someone else can profit?

Where is the time for joy? For new experiences. For love, for travel, for simply enjoying the beauty and nature in the world?

No thank you. No one lays on their death bed and says I wish I spent more time working.

OP - do other people in this operation have the same quotas? Are they needing to work these excessive hours to get them done?

Personally I would be looking for a new job - I don’t think any job is worth wasting your life away - especially if it’s so someone else can profit off of your labor.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 3
I don’t understand why anyone would want to work 100-120 whatever over the top hours....

I didn't have a choice.. my company at the time had signed a 5 year computer lease for a computer system that was the first of it's type in the US and the 2nd in the world and the lease payment was 54k a month and the company who sold us the equipment didn't have anybody who could run it and train us so we had to figure it out.. the bleeding edge as it were.., computers in the mid 80's aren't what they are today, all were huge mainframes that weighed tons and took up a lot of square feet and were very specialized

It was sink or swim.. my Brother and I chose to swim... and it was a good thing we did...

I think most people including the OP is in the sink or swim.. I think he is missing his balance between work and home since he works from home and it is killing him.

He needs to learn how to put a gap between them to gain some of the balance back.

eleanorrigby

Personally I would be looking for a new job - I don’t think any job is worth wasting your life away - especially if it’s so someone else can profit off of your labor.

Agreed. I would never work hours like that unless they were for my own business or unless I was extremely passionate about what I was doing.

Don’t let your job juice you out like that, it’s not worth it.

Put the work away after 8 hours and go outside, spring is almost here, it’s beautiful, and you deserve enough hours in the day to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Get out of this arrangement!!

It will wear you down in the long term,

I am guessing with all the hours you are working that you have a bit of money put together,

so get out of this arrangement,

I would also question the whole working from home scenario especially at this intensity,

you need some separation of home and work and this 24/7 work scenario is ridiculous.

I actually would suggest that you abandon the work from home, and go and work in a workplace for a while,

giving you home time free of work,

I think you might be happier long term.