Working with people who have college degrees vs those who never went to college?

I've worked with tertiary educated people who are so incompetent I can't believe they got through university, and high school drop outs who have more nous than many university educated people I know. Level of education does not dictate how intelligent a person is, though it does dictate what jobs they can apply for and fulfill satisfactorily in many industries and professions. Likewise I know people who have travelled the world yet remain ignorant and judgmental, and people who have never left the small town they grew up in who are very worldly wise and charitable of outlook.

It simply depends on the individual. You don't need a college degree to observe the world around you and have an informed opinion on it.

Happy Lemming
But when it comes to the job, the decision-making and the professional issues in the office, sometimes people without professional education overstep I think because they don’t understand the principles and reasons for the hierarchy.

If I could expand upon your post... I agree and don't think the (non college educated) individuals understand the logic involved with some the decisions being made either.

College teaches you to think in a different way and to utilize logic in that thinking process.

Just my two cents...

If I could expand upon your post... I agree and don't think the (non college educated) individuals understand the logic involved with some the decisions being made either.

College teaches you to think in a different way and to utilize logic in that thinking process.

Just my two cents...

Yeah, and if they resist once it's explained- or worse yet, argue about it, though that's a personality issue not an education issue- you can't afford to keep them. It's only happened 3 times in 25 years for me, but a jaw-dropper each time.

thefooloftheyear

I certainly didn't go to Princeton....but my accountant did...:p (true!)

I have clients that run the gamut from HS dropouts and convicted felons, to high powered CEO's, surgeons, etc...The common thread is that most of them are hugely successful in their own right....

There is no "superior", in my eyes anyway...they all bring a different skill set that is impressive in its own right...

There are career students with multiple degrees that can't operate a motor vehicle properly while there are others with limited education that soar above everyone else..

Also, don't discount those that bypassed college, because quite frankly it was a waste of time and money for them...Kinda like Bill Gates...;)

TFY