Friends setting me up with a guy on Valentine's. How to look forward to it?

Hopeful30

mortensorchid

Well I must ask a few other questions outside of the obvious. The obvious is that this is a strange situation to begin with - a double date, happening on a high pressure day like Valentine's Day, the distance, the time, being on a weeknight rather than a weekend. If you feel that you are not in the right group, or perhaps with "a bad crowd" as they say, you should not be with them to begin with. It's strange, you can find yourself drifting into one so easily and when you realize that you are in one it's like "Wow, how did this happen?"

I would suggest that you look for a new group to be part of in general. However, with this particular situation, I would tell the parties in question that this is not a good night for you because it's a weeknight and can you rain check. If they don't agree, that's your sign you don't need them.

• Like 1
Ha! That's a great idea if I loved food lol I'm not a foodie. In fact, if I had the option to never eat but still be healthy, I would do it. For me eating is a chore.

Not with this guy. This guy is friends with people who I would never associate with normally (I worked with them, that's why we met). If he was a guy who associated with my older, more grown up friends who are sophisticated and quality people, then I would be comfortable. The previous guy these friends set me up with was very low quality (my friends themselves have very low standards in this regard). He kept 'accidentally' touching my butt while we were standing in a crowded arena. I felt like a cheap prostitute whose body is all men care about (common among physically attractive women unfortunately). I know this isn't a reflection on me, but you can see why I'm not looking forward to meeting the next guy these people set me up with. The only reason I'm agreeing is on the off-chance he's actually normal. My mom has set me up on dates too, but they were all the loser sons of desperate moms who want their boys to find quality women (such as myself, no arrogance intended).

Originally we all wanted to meet at 8pm, but this restaurant is very popular and that's the only time they could get a reservation. I looked up the restaurant, nothing fancy but a decent venue. As it's Valentine's day, I'm not surprised reservations were all booked up.

Ok, I see. The restaurant is busy. Have you decided what you will do?

10pm is still late though. Could you cancel and then see the guy for coffee on another date? That'll take off some pressure.

• Author
Ok, I see. The restaurant is busy. Have you decided what you will do?

10pm is still late though. Could you cancel and then see the guy for coffee on another date? That'll take off some pressure.

Hey!

Well actually we changed the schedule a little bit. We are meeting at a friends house a few hours earlier, which works much better for me. My friends are good people are understood that a 10pm reservation is late for me as I have early mornings (they get to sleep in as they don't work).

• Like 1

I wouldn't let anyone set me up on a date on Valentine's day--that's just sad.

I'd rather go for the upcoming weekend--Vday is over, expectations are tamped down

some_username1
Eh, just as well. The guy cancelled.

Soooooooooooooo I guess it's just me and my weed then :love:

And after all that! Looks like you called it right OP. I had the same happen to me once, a cancellation after friends were going to set me up and it annoyed me no end because i had already travelled to my friends before I found out she had cancelled. Good job you didn't make the mistake I did which was to go out anyway and play 3rd wheel- not fun at all. Better luck next time....

• Like 1