Major home renovations together

• Author

In a lot of ways - much of the stressors of renovation doesn’t or shouldn’t apply to us because my husband is a trained carpenter and we have very good friends that are electricians. There aren’t surprises hiding in walls and such - he already knows the wiring schematics and such and the wall we are removing isn’t load bearing, we just need to have our friend re-route the electric that is in it.

He is already planning on taking out the old sub-flooring and replacing it and putting down some other newer type for the ceramic flooring we will install.

Basically we are converting a kitchen/dining room into a great BIG kitchen instead. And then finishing our semi-finished basement (well two rooms in it) to create a family room in one area and turn the massive empty laundry room area into a more productive space by installing build in shelves for pantry space, a walk in closet system and a large island for storage/laundry folding, etc

We are replacing the furnace (have an HVAC guy already we trust) and also replacing the old siding with new (have our exterior guy that replaced all our windows to do that)

It’s a lot at once...but we made the decision to remodel vs. sell and move because we are within a few years of this house being paid off, in a desirable neighborhood and a great school district.

We will remodel here and also pick up a small “shore house” instead of moving into a bigger primary house. We have been debating which way to go for a few years and finally decided. So time to start the reno! Furnace/siding is step 1.

One project at a time.

Since your husband is doing the work, you will have to learn to bite your tongue sometimes. You will not be able to criticize the work or the contractor & he will be tired from working all day then doing the remodel in his spare time. Lavish the praise. Help where you can. Clean without complaint. . .even the dust, even the tools left lying around etc.

In a lot of ways - much of the stressors of renovation doesn’t or shouldn’t apply to us because my husband is a trained carpenter and we have very good friends that are electricians. There aren’t surprises hiding in walls and such - he already knows the wiring schematics and such and the wall we are removing isn’t load bearing, we just need to have our friend re-route the electric that is in it.

He is already planning on taking out the old sub-flooring and replacing it and putting down some other newer type for the ceramic flooring we will install.

Remodeling = stressful. Having husband and "friends" do the work? Potentially apocalyptic. Keep us posted, hope it goes well. I keep thinking of the example of the cobbler's children...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah...he’s a perfectionist too when it comes to this stuff so I’m sure I’m going to be biting my tongue a lot over the next months.

• Like 1