Lately I’ve been focused on one thing : calorie deficit. I use MyFitnessPal app to track what I eat and the calories burned through exercice. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week (starting slow to make sure I keep it up instead of trying to do to much too fast). I usually do 20-30 minutes cardio and 30-40 minutes strength training. I also have my Fitbit and try to do 10 000 steps a day.

As for the food, I try to buy mostly un transformed food (meat, veggies, fruits, grains, etc.) and I meal prep on Sunday. I make all my lunches for the week, so that I’m not tempted to eat out (I don’t want to waste food). I also plan my snacks so I’m not hungry during the day (fruit and tbsp of peanut butter for morning snack, and veggies + hummus for afternoon snack).

Doing this for a month, and I lost close to 10 pounds. I do sometimes eat a little junk (like yesterday I ate 2 oreos, and last week, for supper my boyfriend and I eat hot dogs and poutine for dinner). I try not to see food as « bad » or « good » but rather « nutritious » and « not so nutritious », and I eat mostly the first category and allow myself some of the second.

• Like 1

For me, tracking food has helped.

But also key is drinking water. Lots of it. Minimum 64 0z, but better guideline is half your weight in pounds in oz (supposedly). Water helps your body break down fat. Just set 64 oz as your minimum and try for more. Carbonated stuff should be avoided, try limit caffeine to about 300mg/day.

I used to use myfitnesspal but am on a different plan now, but recommend my fitnesspal.

I am down ~65 pounds from 2017, and trending downward again.

Stew Smith also has a decent 'office workout' you can do in a cubicle, but even just walking 30 minutes every other day can help a lot.

pureinheart
There’s a kind of genius behind the diet. It’s better than fasting because eating tiny amounts causes your body to work to digest food. It’s basically 5 bites of anything you want for lunch and the same for dinner. The book explains everything really well.

I used to, and still do at times, eat like this due to blood sugar issues... it worked great and I felt better. Also I try not to eat after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, that works really good too.

• Like 1
Romantic_Antics

I am down ~65 pounds from 2017, and trending downward again.

That's a tremendous accomplishment. Good for you!

• Like 1
That's a tremendous accomplishment. Good for you!

Thanks, but unfortunately much of it was due to struggling to eat and gastric distress during my wife's A, while I started a gym membership. I have been able to keep it trending down mostly, so thats something.

I guess its my silver lining.

I used to, and still do at times, eat like this due to blood sugar issues... it worked great and I felt better. Also I try not to eat after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, that works really good too.

I wish I had the mental strength to not eat after 4. I’m the hungriest later in the day, bc that’s when work is done, and I feel relaxed. Meh.

• Like 1
BettyDraper

Weight loss is mostly about diet. You cannot outrun a bad diet.

Committing to a low carb diet helped me lose 20 pounds. I have also recently become a vegetarian and I have begun to take extended water fasts. Fasting is controversial but it can reset your metabolism, help you kick cravings and food addiction, and provide psychological well being by embracing your willpower. Fasting is perfectly safe for those who are overweight and especially individuals who have a lot of body fat.

I drink 4 quarts of water per day whether I am fasting or not. I rarely drink juice or pop.

• Like 2
pureinheart
I wish I had the mental strength to not eat after 4. I’m the hungriest later in the day, bc that’s when work is done, and I feel relaxed. Meh.

Last year I did really good and some days could stop eating at 1 or 2- this year not happening and I have to eat high caloric foods now because it's just too much lol ... still losing though, but it's very, very slow...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
oceanblue12

I have always had a high metabolism and never struggled with

my weight but I have many friends who have. What I noticed

is that once they started their weight loss journey that simply

would never give the process enough TIME. If results were

seen quickly, they seemed to give up.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
oceanblue12

I think that people often unrealistic expectations as far as weight loss and being fit are concerned. Some are genetically predisposed to having weight issues while others aren't. Like I mentioned before, being consistent in whatever plan you have is key. I had the opposite issue for many years, keeping my playing weight on.

stillafool
Weight loss is mostly about diet. You cannot outrun a bad diet.

Committing to a low carb diet helped me lose 20 pounds. I have also recently become a vegetarian and I have begun to take extended water fasts. Fasting is controversial but it can reset your metabolism, help you kick cravings and food addiction, and provide psychological well being by embracing your willpower. Fasting is perfectly safe for those who are overweight and especially individuals who have a lot of body fat.

I drink 4 quarts of water per day whether I am fasting or not. I rarely drink juice or pop.

It also reduces joint pain. Fasting has a lot of benefits.