My mom befriended my old H.S bully ?

Doseofreality

So is it her personal FB account or the University’s FB account that she posted the picture on? I’m still not clear on that.

Doesn't really matter. I mean, she can't discriminate against him and has to congratulate all students, I guess, but she certainly doesn't need to make a big deal out of it knowing it offends her daughter.

Well if it’s the school’s FB account and one of her students won a course-related award then it’s an appropriate picture and should have no bearing on her personal life.

If it’s her own FB account then that’s inappropriate not to mention completely thoughtless of her child’s feelings.

Edited by amaysngrace

If someone at the school took it and it's on the school FB page, then suck it up. It's quite normal to have teachers and successful students in the same picture

• Author
Doseofreality
So is it her personal FB account or the University’s FB account that she posted the picture on? I’m still not clear on that.

Personal account

Yea, she has no business befriending her students. She needs to save that stuff for retirement.

I’d gently remind her that even though you’re both adults now it feels like it just happened yesterday because being bullied isn’t just something you get over.

Did she ever come to your defense when this was going on? I know you said she knew about it, did she ever try to do anything about it?

• Author
Doseofreality
Yea, she has no business befriending her students. She needs to save that stuff for retirement.

I’d gently remind her that even though you’re both adults now it feels like it just happened yesterday because being bullied isn’t just something you get over.

Did she ever come to your defense when this was going on? I know you said she knew about it, did she ever try to do anything about it?

Yes back then

• 3 weeks later...

I can't relate to these feelings. I was bullied quite badly in elementary school and middle school. However, I was fortunate to have met some of my bullies later on and saw how much they changed - for the better.

There comes a point in life where you have to forgive others who have wronged you. Not just for them, but for you as well. It is a bitter feeling to hold onto the hatred they made you experience in the past.

I also can't say that I understand not wanting two people to be friends, even if you dislike one of those people. It would be wonderful if you could celebrate the happiness they both experience, even if it's difficult.

Edited by Leafeon