Working in a job below your education level

I don't work at a job below my education level but rather, I work at a job outside my acquired degree. I think self-study really is key. In graduated with an English degree (completely useless now I think about it) but while I was studying, I was also learning about digital marketing.

Now I work for a website builder similar to wix or jimdo and the pay is very good.

Because I have skills in digital, the opportunities are knocking on my door.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
I just finished graduate school, but I've realized I don't want to pursue any jobs in that line of work. I had thoughts of this during school, but I pushed them aside and wanted to finish what I started. I have a great job right now. I work 10 days a month and make good money. Nothing I'll become wealthy from, but I've been able to squirrel away a good bit for retirement. I can also work overtime at any point if I need extra money. I also have really good benefits, and I can get a lot of time off for vacation if I want it. Mostly, I love my quality of life. I have so many days off that I can pursue other hobbies and travel when I want to. Those things are very important to me.

My decision is made to stay at this job, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. How did it turn out for you? Did you regret it?

As others have said... quality of life is more important (to some) than wealth. My current job, I travel... and I really don't like being away from home. BUT... when I am home... I don't have to go to an office. I get to be HOME. (just need a phone, and computer handy if something comes up)

Work to live or live to work?

Received my degree in Biology, ended up in the restaurant/club business ..........................

Mr. Lucky

That's funny. I think we are very similar. I also have a Bio degree (along with a few others) but wound up in the F&B world.

I also have a Bio degree (along with a few others) but wound up in the F&B world.

I feel for you. I've made all my kids work in restaurants when they were teenagers for two reasons -

- it's a crash-course in human nature

- they'll be smart enough to do something else

Mr. Lucky

I'm lucky in an unlucky sort of way. I'm disabled and work part-time, I'm living the life! I work for a chiropractor so I don't feel like I'm not using my brain or any of the skills I've acquired though my degree is in Housing Studies (go figure I live with mom at the moment). That's the only thing I'm working to change. Excellent insurance, money to live. In fact I'm only allowed to make so much but I never did get a job in my field and make more now than I did working FT. It sucks that I screwed up my mind, and am now forever in treatment and therapy. But there's a bonus side to it. And I'm living the best life I can be.