Am I being unreasonable?

• Author
...But what I've learned to do to live with myself and not NEED to clean as often is not mess things up.

Yes, I find it quite frustrating that the way he does things unnecessarily makes more mess & work. I try teaching things like - if you peel and cut an onion on a plate it's easy to then bin the rubbish, whereas if you do it on the bench it's more work to pick up all the little scraps, plus you (or rather I) have to clean the bench. It's annoying because it's just pointless and stupid. But he either doesn't care or can't learn. Sigh.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's input. My plan is to take on more of the jobs, particularly cooking & washing up (the mess that bugs me the most).

Perhaps when he doesn't feel like he's doing too much he'll be more receptive to working on the worst of his habits. And in the meantime keep reminding myself that I have it pretty good.

Perhaps when he doesn't feel like he's doing too much he'll be more receptive to working on the worst of his habits.

You do realize he has the same list of the "worst of (your) habits", right?

Keeping score isn't the answer simply because different people prioritize different things. Keep your view big picture and you'll have fewer disagreements and more harmony...

Mr. Lucky

Yes, I find it quite frustrating that the way he does things unnecessarily makes more mess & work. I try teaching things like - if you peel and cut an onion on a plate it's easy to then bin the rubbish, whereas if you do it on the bench it's more work to pick up all the little scraps, plus you (or rather I) have to clean the bench. It's annoying because it's just pointless and stupid. But he either doesn't care or can't learn. Sigh.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's input. My plan is to take on more of the jobs, particularly cooking & washing up (the mess that bugs me the most).

Perhaps when he doesn't feel like he's doing too much he'll be more receptive to working on the worst of his habits. And in the meantime keep reminding myself that I have it pretty good.

To be fair, lots of people don't cut onions on a plate... ;)

It's good that you'll take on some of the jobs. Also, I suggest that rather than one person cooking and the other washing up, you talk to him about splitting the days instead. Half of the time you cook and wash up after yourself, half of the time he cooks and washes up after himself. Saves the arguments.

• Author
To be fair, lots of people don't cut onions on a plate... ;)

Do those people leave the onion scraps on the bench for days too?