Almost Adult daughter hates my fiance

Thank you for elaborating Gaeta. I think our own experiences really color perception, I know that I empathize with OP as a widow and having a difficult daughter. Chances are both of us are correct to some degree.

I would never suggest OP to allow any romantic relationship come between yourself and your child. I would not do that and I don't think any reasonable and loving parent would.

Perhaps it's time to be more assertive VAG and have conversations with both of them separately. Most of the time, compromise is possible but will only be facilitated with a lot of open communication.

This is your family, it's worth the effort.

Buying a house with a man that your daughter hates wasn’t a good decision IMO.

Is there a prenuptial agreement in place that protects your assets if the relationship doesn’t work out? You said you just bought the house together in the Fall and by Thanksgiving he told your teenage daughter to get out of it. What’s to think about? He’s a controlling jerk that is interfering with your relationship with your daughter. She probably won’t respect him or you for staying with him.

You said he wasn’t easy to live with but that he and your daughter are way too much alike. She is a teenage girl struggling with the loss of her dad dying of cancer and being in college away from the only parent she has left and her mom buying a house, moving in with and planning to marry a man she hates. What problems, besides your daughter is he struggling with? If she was completely out of your lives, would he be easier to live with? I doubt it.

Edited by nittygritty