Is incessant talking a disorder?

I suggest sitting to talk... but make sure it is in a constructive way.

What do you mean by constructive? Is there any way that would have made it easy for you to hear? I feel like it's a tricky thing to broach and is always going to come off as criticism and be hurtful, so how do we make it constructive and less of an 'attack'? I think this woman is already on the defensive in the past when people mentioned it.

• Author

Yes, she’s very defensive about any level of criticism and rarely admits to any of her faults. Not very self-aware but she thinks she is. This makes her extremely difficult to talk to. Her son has mentioned it several times while I was there and her comeback is that we have done those things too. I told her that yes we do on occasion but she makes an Olympic sport out of it. Her son nearly fell over laughing when I said that. He gets very frustrated with her; has told me that he has literally been on the phone with her where he has said absolutely nothing the entire time because she’s talking the whole time, even asking him questions that he never gets a chance to answer. As you can guess, it’s an alienating behavior.

I think she suspects that her son was talking to me about her yesterday because she’s been more quiet than usual. I’m sure that’ll all pass and she’ll be back to her old self in no time.

For the person who asked if she was always like this, I have to say that I never noticed it until the last 10 yrs or so. Now that I think about it, that’s right around the time that our parents passed away and she left her marriage of over 20 years and moved out-of-State. I’ll have to ask her son if this behavior is a new thing or not. I really can’t be sure.

As far as it getting worse, her son is the one who pointed that out to me. Someone else asked about her volume, she’s sometimes loud, sometimes not. I could interrupt her and sometimes I do because she often completely misses the point of something someone says and goes off on some tangent that has nothing to do with the initial conversation. But the truth is, conversations start to feel like a battle and it wears me out.