Was I wrong to ask about pay?

I was curious as well! I looked it up and I believe it is the UK version of direct deposit.

I see, thanks

It may not be in your contract about not discussing pay or money but that doesn't make it a good idea to do it. As an employer it often causes problems in the ranks and a problem for management to deal with.

We have rental property and understand that pay schedule and rent due dates don't line up and gladly work with a good tenant. Don't be afraid to talk to your landlord in the future.

• Author
It may not be in your contract about not discussing pay or money but that doesn't make it a good idea to do it. As an employer it often causes problems in the ranks and a problem for management to deal with.

We have rental property and understand that pay schedule and rent due dates don't line up and gladly work with a good tenant. Don't be afraid to talk to your landlord in the future.

We don’t have ‘ranks’ though. We are all paid the same. So it’s a bit of a different situation and we all work closely together and support each other. There is no dog eat dog. Although I do note what you say and I will avoid it from now on.

I don’t think that I should have to ask my landlord for extensions. That’s not how it should work is it? I want a job with stability and security - I don’t want to be worrying that maybe the business can’t afford to employ me. And this is a thriving business. And the council isn’t going to let me pay council tax late - in my council it is collected on the 1st of every month.

healing light

I have no idea why people are all over you about this.

You had to talk to your boss. You rely on your income. This should have been spelled out very clearly in your contract or at some point shortly after the hiring process. It's your boss's responsibility to have a set schedule for payments. I would have asked much sooner about it. I think it was completely inappropriate of her to get defensive and angry about it--a huge red flag. That tells me that she's triggered around money and doesn't have her **** together with her staff.

I would keep the door open to other jobs if you don't receive your payments on a set schedule without having to sniff around her office.

And, yes, legally you are allowed to talk to co-workers about pay. I don't think your question was unreasonable just to get a barometer of when you would be paid. I think it's incredibly unprofessional that your boss doesn't have a set pay day for everyone. I wouldn't see this as a matter of favoritism, I would see this as a really poor reflection on your boss and their organization for dispersing payments in an unorganized fashion. After being at a job over a month, no one should ever have to wonder when their pay is coming.

• Like 3

alphamale - BACS = Bankers Automated Clearing Services.

In UK it's a way of transferring money from one a/c to another :)