What languages should I teach my daughter?

major_merrick

How will she learn a 3rd language though?

Will they have a tutor while she’s still a toddler?

If none of the parents (or the roommates that live with them) speak that 3rd language - how will that be done? Just curious. Even if the mother speaks broken Russian (I think that’s what she mentioned), i would refrain from that. And a tutor that young? Or are we talking older child, and adding a third language later, in school?

• Like 1
How will she learn a 3rd language though?

Will they have a tutor while she’s still a toddler?

If none of the parents (or the roommates that live with them) speak that 3rd language - how will that be done? Just curious. Even if the mother speaks broken Russian (I think that’s what she mentioned), i would refrain from that. And a tutor that young? Or are we talking older child, and adding a third language later, in school?

^^^ This. It takes a lot of hard work if she can be *truly* bilingual in English and Spanish. Why not just let her pick additional language(s) to learn when she gets older?

• Like 1
You're missing the point here.

OP's child will speak English and Spanish, she is looking for a 3rd language. Of course the entire world revolves around English, I am not debating that. We're offering suggestion for a good 3rd language.

Large plane over the head....

I know.

What about one of the island languages of Tonga?

I love French.

My mother is from Germany and her mother, my grandmother, lived with us for the better part of 15 years. I took German in school and college and studied for a semester.

1. Most Germans speak English and agree it will probably die in a 100 or so years.

2. It helped my English grammar better than any English class.

3. I worked at Lufthansa for a few years during college. That was a pretty fun job.

ETA: My children know very little German. Their father is a fluent Spanish speaker and they know a little Spanish, but not much.

• 1 month later...