Why the first thing people want to know is your age?

that's not a reliable indicator. some people die over 100, while some die very young. some look 20 years younger than their age, while some could look 20 yrs older.

well, I am consistently being considered 10-20 years younger than my age by people. like I said, the director asked if I am younger or older than someone who is 32. (actually he could find out as my boss if he really wants to). That makes me want to laugh...god only know how much older I am than that person. I only said older. I didn't want to say much much older. so he won't dig further.

Ha yeah, natural variation is big. But still would you date eg 70 yo in good shape? I bet answer is no if you’re 40-50 or younger. Ask yourself for the reasons and then you know what I mean...

• Author
Ha yeah, natural variation is big. But still would you date eg 70 yo in good shape? I bet answer is no if you’re 40-50 or younger. Ask yourself for the reasons and then you know what I mean...

Yes, we are both right and wrong.

Yes, we are both right and wrong.

Indeed:) So maybe middle ground - don’t worry about age unless we have to. I’m too focused on data sometimes and life has more.

I think we (maybe me but other people too) make artificial timelines - oh need to have this job/ man/ money by age xx which in the end of the day is dumb. We think others have the same timeline in mind and they may not.

My best friend is 45 years older than me, her BF is almost 30 years younger than her, my BF is 14 years older than me... all works swimmingly. Not because of age but despite age. Ha just contradicted my own initial statement:)

How did you meet your elderly best friend? :laugh:

Indeed:) So maybe middle ground - don’t worry about age unless we have to. I’m too focused on data sometimes and life has more.

I think we (maybe me but other people too) make artificial timelines - oh need to have this job/ man/ money by age xx which in the end of the day is dumb. We think others have the same timeline in mind and they may not.

My best friend is 45 years older than me, her BF is almost 30 years younger than her, my BF is 14 years older than me... all works swimmingly. Not because of age but despite age. Ha just contradicted my own initial statement:)

Long story - another friend introduced us because in that time I needed to rent a room, I was hiding from a crazy ex :D So my other friend said they are a bit of a weird couple but I should not comment lol... this was over 6 years ago and stayed friends ever since.

Long story - another friend introduced us because in that time I needed to rent a room, I was hiding from a crazy ex :D So my other friend said they are a bit of a weird couple but I should not comment lol... this was over 6 years ago and stayed friends ever since.

But doesn’t she play mother to you? :laugh:

But doesn’t she play mother to you? :laugh:

Lol yeah especially on holidays and such. But on the other side I’m way more uptight than her and she tend to stick to younger people (we’re both in college town - plenty of their activities open to public), so things even out:D

Why? Conversation fodder. I kinda chuckled last night while sitting in 3A on the flight home listening to all the chatter around me and age and occupation were at the top of the list. Even funnier the chatter sounded like a dating meetup and all these people apparently were married, to others.

Heck I thought the grandfather behind me was going to drag his decades younger date off to the lav the way he was pouring it on. Name-dropping, trips to China, Japan, India, you name it. I mean, this went on from wheels-up to wheels-down. I thought they'd need a cigarette or something.

OTOH, one must respect age, social status and reproductive success. Society has taught us that. So, when someone asks you your age, great opportunity to have some fun. Or, failing that and a dry honest disclosure, try the Dear Abby method....'why do you ask?' Then listen. Perhaps start a poll....

I am 47 yrs old. I could care less who knows my age. I don't know why some people feel embaressed by it. I have gotten as low as 24 and as high as 36. I am a Black Male. I shave my head and I am clean cut.

I was born in March 1971. I don't really think I have aged that much. Most people put me in my early 30's. I did have a 20 yr old tell me 6 weeks ago that I look 27.

• Like 1
So this week I sat with 2 group of people for lunch on different day. They all want to know how old I am. and they will ask in different ways like when did you come to this country? how old were you when you finish school in your home country. and the boss of my boss will ask if I my ex boss is older or younger than me(that's actually a compliment as I am actually at least 10 yrs older than the ex boss?) after I refuse to tell.

None of this is them necessarily wanting to pry into your age. I see it as general conversation and wanting to know more about you. Yes, the answers may imply your age, but it's more about them being interested in who you are and your life experiences.

I think you're taking friendly questions, reading too much into them and turning them into issues which don't exist.

• Like 1
  • Author
None of this is them necessarily wanting to pry into your age. I see it as general conversation and wanting to know more about you. Yes, the answers may imply your age, but it's more about them being interested in who you are and your life experiences.

I think you're taking friendly questions, reading too much into them and turning them into issues which don't exist.

That may very well be the case. or not. I don't know. I am not talking about their motivations.

I am just talking about how this topic bothers me regardless their motivations. I have personal issues with the topic.

• Author
I am 47 yrs old. I could care less who knows my age. I don't know why some people feel embaressed by it. I have gotten as low as 24 and as high as 36. I am a Black Male. I shave my head and I am clean cut.

I was born in March 1971. I don't really think I have aged that much. Most people put me in my early 30's. I did have a 20 yr old tell me 6 weeks ago that I look 27.

Of course, you care less, because you are a male. Richard Gere just become a father at the age of 69. Try that with a woman.

Life is not fair. huge gender inequality in this and that regard.

wow, you beat me. no one thinks I am 24 now. mostly early 30's. I heard the black don't crack joke. so it's no kidding.

That may very well be the case. or not. I don't know. I am not talking about their motivations.

I am just talking about how this topic bothers me regardless their motivations. I have personal issues with the topic.

Good that you're aware it's a personal issue for you. Problem is, you're demonising other people for normal conversation and probably contributing to alienating yourself from others. When dealing with a personal issue, I find it more helpful to come in from the angle of "I know they are doing nothing wrong, but I have this reaction which does me no good. How do I manage my reactions so that I get a better outcome in life?"

Of course, you care less, because you are a male. Richard Gere just become a father at the age of 69. Try that with a woman.

Life is not fair. huge gender inequality in this and that regard.

wow, you beat me. no one thinks I am 24 now. mostly early 30's. I heard the black don't crack joke. so it's no kidding.

I am a woman and was born in 1967. I also have no issue with people knowing my age. If my friends didn't know my age, they certainly got a reminder when I had my 50th birthday party last year. It's not a "man" thing.

I hate being asked my age. I didn't mind it when I was in my twenties though. Healthcare clinics do this all the time, need to know your birthdate for their records. very annoying!

Tell them "old enough to know better" or "just the right age" or another snappy answer and keep repeating this. That will shut them up.

It is rude to ask a ladies age and not so polite with men either.

I guess that is a bit unusual. I can only think that you may look very young for your age and maybe a bit childlike in appearance? Maybe the way you look and the kinds of things you are doing in life with a career, for example, don't tie-up with the age you appear to others. This would throw people and they would be curious about your age as you are an adult. I don't usually get people asking my age but I don't mind telling them either if they want to know.

Edited by spiderowl
  • 3 weeks later...

It is rude to ask a ladies age and not so polite with men either.

Lucky. I don't see it as being rude. I just don't see it. I had a waitress flirting with me. I asked her age in a playful way. She is 20 turning 21. I guessed it right. She thought I was 27.

I was going to ask her out, but I feel the age gap may be to wide. When she is my age. I am 72.

Well , l like the just the right age answer , think l'll try and remember that , strain my poor brain :bunny:

Hate people asking me too.

OP if it bothers you that much when they ask just tell them "I don't feel comfortable telling you that" and change the subject. They aren't trying to be rude they just want to know your experience level so they will know what to talk to you about.

When people meet for the first time or are striking up conversations with co-workers they want to build a picture, find some common connection. They just want to find something to speak about.

They are not asking your age to beat you up with it.

It is really no big deal.

Once it is kinda obvious how old you are, ie old, people stop asking.

You will then be asking them

How old do you think I am?

Sixty?

No, eighty...

Wow, really? ... You don't look a day over sixty... well done!

• Like 2
  • Author
Springsummer

Lucky. I don't see it as being rude. I just don't see it. I had a waitress flirting with me. I asked her age in a playful way. She is 20 turning 21. I guessed it right. She thought I was 27.

I was going to ask her out, but I feel the age gap may be to wide. When she is my age. I am 72.

I don't want to shock people. once an 19 yr hit on me and thought I was around 25 a few years ago. when I fact I was more than twice his age. so I never told him my age.

I am not as accomplished as I want to be in my age, so I do't want to tell either.