References when applying for jobs

This is a difficult situation, and I'm not sure what I'd do. I think it's safer to give no reference than a reference that won't reflect well on you. Some people don't call references; they just verify employment dates with HR. I think your plan to say so be it and rely on your interviewing skills sounds like the best plan if you truly think it's bad to give them as a reference.

• Like 1

I was thinking more about this today after my interview. I was thinking about the deficiencies in my resume and how we are all usually lacking something when we apply for jobs. At some point, you just have to roll the dice and hope what you have is enough. If it's not enough, so be it, and move on to the next interview. I honestly believe that a lot of people don't even call references. I know I've been asked to be a reference for several people and have never been called. I have also had people I've given as references say they haven't been called.

Why don’t you use references from your former jobs? I mean, if you’re job searching, it’s risky anyway to use people at your current job as a reference. I would never trust people it to disclose what I was doing.