Would you ever rent your college aged child a luxury, high rise apartment?

xxgreen20

• Author
People with money raise their kids and their kids get used to money, so this is what he's doing. I know what you mean. I mean, would be nice to teach a kid to earn his way, but we don't know he's not also imparting infinite financial wisdom to the kid. I mean, no place in Manhattan is cheap, so if you're sending your kid to school in Manhattan, they're going to be living well if they're at all close to school.

Seriously, if you compare the possible negative outcome her to the possible negative outcome of the parents who lets their kid live at home instead of moving out and supporting themselves, it's one and the same outcome. The latter is done very day these days. I'm sure the dad has some sort of employment and education plan for the son. Unlike the parent who never kicks their kid out to support himself.

The ironic part is that he doesn't go to school in Manhattan. He goes to St. John's in Queens.

Hey, I never said I was jealous or doing nothing with my life. I am also in college. I just think it is ridiculous and excessive that his father felt he needed a place like this and decided to just hand it to him. I can go over whenever I want, and I do, but I think it's a lot different than if he paid for it himself with his money from work.

But he has likely lived in a big manson with luxurious amenities with his parents and siblings before college. So for him living in a “small” apartment is probably a downgrade already.

The ironic part is that he doesn't go to school in Manhattan. He goes to St. John's in Queens.

It’s not a good idea to be judgmental to your friends.

• Like 1
Hey, I never said I was jealous or doing nothing with my life. I am also in college. I just think it is ridiculous and excessive that his father felt he needed a place like this and decided to just hand it to him. I can go over whenever I want, and I do, but I think it's a lot different than if he paid for it himself with his money from work.

Don't you think it's unhealthy for you to let this bother you so much? I mean, like I said, I wouldn't do that with my kid if I had one. But if I saw someone else doing it, I'd just shrug. Do you really think it's worth THIS much of your headspace?

• Like 1
  • Author
Don't you think it's unhealthy for you to let this bother you so much? I mean, like I said, I wouldn't do that with my kid if I had one. But if I saw someone else doing it, I'd just shrug. Do you really think it's worth THIS much of your headspace?

No, it really isn't. And I do have an awesome place to hang out now. I just was curious what other people thought.

• Like 1

Enjoy it OP!

I grew up with modest means.... But I had a number of very wealthy friends, which meant I got to live vicariously through them. Drove rare sports cars, used to house sit a sixteen million dollar mansion, rode their horses etc, it was great.

Sure sometimes I would be feel jealous about how much was handed to them while I worked my butt off.... But I rather know them and enjoy their wealth.

• Like 1
But I rather know them and enjoy their wealth.

Amen. I invited a friend in college to go skiing with us, we piled 6 in a car and the same in our cheap hotel room, ramen for lunch and hot dogs for dinner.

He gave me a reciprocal invite later in the season. We took off in his family's private plane, flew straight into Vail and stayed in his parent's 3,000 sf "cabin" next to the lifts.

It was nothing to him, I was gobsmacked the entire weekend. First time I really understood there was a different world out there...

Mr. Lucky

fieldoflavender

A lot of people would rather work for their wealth rather than just taking it handed down.

Of course you have to decide if that works for you in the friendship. I think I might be able to be friends with someone like that - but only if they didn't act entitled. Otherwise it's a no-go.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

I've bought both my girls their homes. Both are on farms we own that will become theirs when we're gone.

The youngest walked out of school at the end of the day on her 16th birthday to a brand new jacked up Chevy truck. 7" lift kit, 35's etc. 54k

Safest vehicle around here. We lost our son in a wreck, we're not losing the little girl.

If I had the money & my child was going to school in the NYC metro area, sure I'd rent the nice apartment. I know a lot of people who rent or buy awesome apartments for their college kids in The City. Many times the parents use the apartment as their pied-a-terre in the City. It's not that uncommon.