Toxic home life is killing me

• Author

Again, no divorce, no point. Helps no one and cuts benefits in the future. If that puts a burden on her, then, if I am gone, the pressure will fall to her kids. Neither of us has any family, to speak of.

My checks are sacrosanct, totally secure from her...I did see an attorney years ago about that.

I have no savings, investments, etc left. She does.

Be really stupid to try, I get half of her money, she uses the other half to buy me out?

She cannot afford this place, alimony is not possible (not sure even allowed here). She can not touch my money. Way too much maintenance on a place this size. Utilities for multiple buildings, insurance, mowing, etc.

I am tax exempt, a divorce would mean she would have to pay personal and real estate taxes. So a sale of the home is going to take place, clear the debts, free me once again.

Well, sorry it turned into an unpleasant marathon. You guys should have divorced decades ago. File for divorce. There's not a lot she can take now and if she's been working, she might even have to pay you some. The kids are old enough. There is no reason to put yourself through the daily aggravation. If you divorce, you will still be without a woman probably, although you never know, but you won't have to be annoyed day in and day out with your situation. You will have freedom and free will. I know someone who lived in Equador. Get ready to eat chicken every single day and nothing else. And it's not that cheap there either. I think you should move wherever has the most people who are your friends or family you enjoy and stay here where the kids can see you.

I don't know why she didn't file for divorce since she's been so blunt about her feelings, but I imagine she's gotten what she wanted out of the union. But you haven't. Time to move on. I feel bad for you with all your aches and pains. You need to stay near good medical care. Good luck.

• Author

Thanks Peraph,

I would have left 25 years ago, if she had been honest about the differences between us. I am not a mind reader, just a stupid old man that fell for a pretty young girl...who may have been a monster or became one with the fertility treatments.

My health is perfect. EC has great hospitals, been there once.

Got sick first night in Cuenca. Called manager, he called DR. Dr called me...Dr made house call...Dr took family to ER in his car.

Dr stayed and interpreted for us.

They hit my Visa card because I had no insurance, was foreigner...gringo prices.......Hospital $93, Dr. with house call...$90, they called a taxi for us...with tip, 4 people..$3. Socialized medicine is fine by me, Great hospital, beautiful nurses...an Ecudorean would have paid only $30 for the house call.

• Author

I spent 3 weeks in Ecuador last summer. I made friends, have priced condos and beachfront homes. Have been offered a groundfloor beachfront 3 bed, 2 bath condo, all bills paid, free wifi, free landline (over 65, law), free DirecTV.....$500/mo.

I can eat 3 meals a day at different restaurants, have maid service, and do it on SS. My other check will provide the money to travel.

The "medicare" is 18% of your stated income for admission, but hospital is free.

Over 65, travel is half price, taxes are half-price, Movies, soccer games, airfare for round-trip from EC is half-price.

Pretty sure I will not be alone too long.

They hit my Visa card because I had no insurance, was foreigner...gringo prices.......Hospital $93, Dr. with house call...$90, they called a taxi for us...with tip, 4 people..$3. Socialized medicine is fine by me, Great hospital, beautiful nurses...an Ecudorean would have paid only $30 for the house call.

Just out of morbid curiosity did you get an estimate on the castration?

I spent 3 weeks in Ecuador last summer. I made friends, have priced condos and beachfront homes. Have been offered a groundfloor beachfront 3 bed, 2 bath condo, all bills paid, free wifi, free landline (over 65, law), free DirecTV.....$500/mo.

I can eat 3 meals a day at different restaurants, have maid service, and do it on SS. My other check will provide the money to travel.

The "medicare" is 18% of your stated income for admission, but hospital is free.

Over 65, travel is half price, taxes are half-price, Movies, soccer games, airfare for round-trip from EC is half-price.

Pretty sure I will not be alone too long.

Sounds really nice! How exciting. What about your kids? Will you be able to visit them fairly often, or them visit you? I guess there’s always FaceTime and things like that. Anyway, it sounds stellar!

• Author

Hope to be able to bring one of the twins at a time to visit during the old alternating holidays routine of separated parents.

My son thinks it would be a cool date-getter for spring break: " hey, let's visit my Dad on the beach in Ecuador"".

I will probably stay gone, no desire to come back. Kids and grands can come visit...really cheap travel if you break it up. Fly to Mexico, stay a week or so, fly on to Guatemala, same, then EC. Lots to see on the way.

Thanks to all who have responded. Your comments help. Just needed to vent a bit, I suppose. I was looking for flaws in my idea, but it seems relatively secure.

The light at the end of the tunnel...getting brighter..just hope it ain't a train.

• Like 1
The light at the end of the tunnel...getting brighter..just hope it ain't a train.

Or the scope of a doctor trying to castrate you.

• Like 1
Thanks Peraph,

I would have left 25 years ago, if she had been honest about the differences between us. I am not a mind reader, just a stupid old man that fell for a pretty young girl...who may have been a monster or became one with the fertility treatments.

My health is perfect. EC has great hospitals, been there once.

Got sick first night in Cuenca. Called manager, he called DR. Dr called me...Dr made house call...Dr took family to ER in his car.

Dr stayed and interpreted for us.

Ohhhh, beautiful nurses. You better get your walking papers first. It probably would be a lot cheaper to get in-home care there.