Colleagues prone to tears

• Author
It really sounds like whenever the focus can shift to this problem in a few weeks, they need to put down in writing the tasks like the list you made. It needs to come from their boss and be the Bible. If they're not following it, they are subject to negative review.

Yeah, and thanks for reading that lot Peraph!

The FA is due to be finding our the process very soon.

It was to be this last week but the FA was too busy trying to help the FD.

I intend to have a conversation with the FA to state the current, previous (which was also a shambles) and future process so that he gets straight out info rather than what will happen with the APM which will be basically a wingefest.

Just now all he knows from the APM is wingefest, no details, no process.

We have another meeting coming up to review the last month end and today I spent writing my notes for it.

There's one or two things that have impact which are learning curves for the FD and I am happy to help and cover things.

My notes though - they all point back to the APM and there is simply no way around that.

She needs to buck up and her team need to also.

Leaving the apprentice out then you look at the APM's assistant (APM sub) and she has two different sets of complaints about life in her team.

One is team based with APM present - fully backing her.

The other is she cannot get anything out of her manager.

Unfortunately though she is the biggest crier and the one who asked about crying as a tool to manipulate- - but actually now I understand it better.

She can't be open at all.

Too much loyalty to her useless manager but also there are things she knows we need to be doing and can't get anything out of her manager.

Trouble is, give APM sub anything new and it results in tears - she is the one who cried over margin calculations and noise, chat, the leaving presentation...

We need to openly begin kicking off because there is no other war.

Things need to be vocalised and witnessed IMO.

We have not been afforded that previously due to the previous FD.

It needs doing. No matter what tears ensue.

Like you said earlier - tears need to be ignored.

I don't know what else to do with them.

PS. Reviews haven't happened since 2009.

I did have one in 2008 but then the previous manager shot me down - she since got sacked in a very nice way and got a huge pay off from the old FD.

2009 he ripped her appraisal up and interviewed me and saw what I could do so kept me on. My job changed beyond compare.

Hopefully reviews will start this year with a new FD in place.

Edited by GemmaUK

My feeling is even though you have a little empathy for the crier, she's been ruined already. You can't have someone who deals with things that way. I just hope they clean house once they see what is going on. Honestly, the criers will be the most obvious ones they will see that need to go because they're obviously not handling their job well, so I hope they're not blinded by that and think their boss was doing the best she could held back only by her criers.

• Like 1
  • Author

The APM and the criers all believe they are doing the best job they can.

This is enforced by APM suggesting FD and FA are Bodge-it and Bodge-it.

I have heard APM openly exclaim that I am at fault for that customer ledger being in a total mess.

I am coding invoices as a favour but all else is not my responsibility and she knows that.

She hasn't allocated a payment to an invoice since March. It's now August.

• Author
I would definitely rat her out for that.

Oh definitely!!!

In fact, my vent from yesterday has led to a much more accurate re-write of debrief notes for our next meeting.

There is so much to try to remember - work wise and incidents wise.

Everything I have and all of the issues all relate back to the APM and her managing of her team in one way or another.

I'm not making anything personal at all so I have even found a way to rat her out (love that term :)) which is entirely non-personal. I recalled that the previous month the AP assistant also complained about me not having coded the project invoices by when they wanted them in week 2 of the finance period so all I need to do is direct that question to the FD in the form of 'prioritise me' which will open a can of worms - but should (??) avoid tears!!

I only agreed to code the dratted invoices as a favour as none of the AP team were doing anything about them and actually there is no reason at all why the APM cannot code them herself. There is nothing different about them to any other invoice she codes for the same exact type of resource we are purchasing.

She just doesn't want to is all it is. Never did - which is why I started doing it - because she told me she was just sitting on them.

She also just doesn't want a paperless system.

Doesn't want to complete tasks to make her own work easier so leaves things half finished.

Her list of 'doesn't want to' is long...

Her list of issues blaming everyone else and their cat is even longer...

Thanks Peraph, I really do appreciate you taking the time to read. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Our second team meeting never happened - we couldn't pin the AP team down to a time.

APM was on holiday Mon & Tues so the AP Sub & Apprentice ran out of things to do by Tuesday morning.

When the APM returned it took 10 hours for her and the Sub to do a payment run - which should take one person 2 hours maximum.

They barely got any invoices posted this week - which should have been their busiest week of the month posting to our accounts system.

There's been one bout of tears and several tantrums this week too.

The worst tantrum was from the APM who was asked for an invoice, she tried various methods of blaming others for it's disappearance including NG, the Managing Director, the Finance Director,, one of the other teams within our company and then the FA found it on the APM's desk.

Apparently though, according to the APM the team are totally up to date, we will no doubt find out next week with reporting deadlines looming.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe these people need to ask for time off to sort out their emotional problems. That place sounds like a crying fest. I don't know how you stand it. I wonder what would happen if men broke into tears every time they weren't happy about something. Would that be okay?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...