using different pics to what you actually look like

LeaGreenLad88

When l was on a date site l had a little saying in my head like , wait for it , bingo,

lf she had 5 or 10 pics and the first one was really nice , just keep on clicking andddddd there it is , bingo. !!!!

Suddenly she's 15 yrs older 15kg heavier and you couldn't even recognize the person from the cover pic.

l mean we all get older and lose looks or change, but l really just couldn't see the point of putting in a pic so different from who you really are.

• Like 1
I met a guy who put someone else's pic on his profile, not even the same race! Not all people online lie, my pics were accurate and unaltered.

You aren't shallow, I would be upset if someone lied about anything on their profile.

I once had a tinder date who put up someone else's pic but it turned out he was hot af anyway. I have no idea why he did it. We dated for a few months and he was stark raving mad. lol

I have also had two different men lie to me recently about their height while standing right next to me, as if what they told me was going to somehow change how tall they seemed to me.

I've done a lot of OLD, tho, and only on a couple of occassions found that the person was unrecognizable from the pics.

thefooloftheyear

Most of the women I know have pics on their social media that look nothing like them in real life..

And these are the ones that are in happy marriages/relationships...I can't imagine what the one's who are on the prowl do...I guess they pull out all the stops...I dunno...

No...Not shallow...She misrepresented herself...I kinda feel for women, though...Most guys worth a shyt pretty much dismiss overweight and physically unattractive women...Guys don't really have the same level of scrutiny over appearance..But then I don't know what the point is to play a bait and switch game..

Bear in mind though...Most people(man or woman) won't deliberately pick the worst pic of themselves to show the world..So I guess some of this is just to be expected, even under the most benign conditions...

I also like what D0nnivan said...Maybe rather than see the discrepancy and just run, be objective about it and keep an open mind...Who knows, maybe she winds up being what you were looking for anyway...

TFY

• Like 1
Unhappy_Nerd

Meh, as others have said, pics don't tell the whole story. Te person in motion isn't the same as the freeze frame of a photo.

I had a date with a girl I met on Tinder yesterday, I think her photo's were mostly accurate...but in reality there were two main differences, both good and bad. Her face was much prettier in person, but it was also apparent that she was quite a bit heavier.

I still enjoyed our chat time, and kept her phone number. I'm pretty sure we're going to friend zone each other- the words "platonic relationship" have been spoken, lol. But the point remains that the photos, even when recent and accurate don't substitute for a real life meeting.

• Like 1

Once I met a man that said right off the bat: But you look much taller in your pictures!! I said what do you mean I look much taller my profile says 5'3'' so you're meeting a 5'3'' woman!. He replied but the picture of you in front of your fireplace you look like at least 5'8''...........seriously? So even though my profile said 5'3'' this man only saw what he wanted to see a tall woman over 5'8''. He felt he had been fooled lol.

• Like 1

You're not shallow. Physical attraction is at least part of what you want for dating. If you want a bowling partner, that's different!

I had one experience like that. To be frank, we were both looking for a hookup. I got there and.......yikes!!!!! I couldn't. I felt really horrible and I know she was hurt. Lesson........get at least one body pic! I'm no fitness model, but I did not misrepresent!

• Like 1
I remember when this crap all started back in the day. First, ladies used to just take a bunch of pics and then keep the very best ones. My GF will literally take 100 selfies before she decides on one. Then you had people using old pics from back before they gained weight. And then, people started using those filters that make them look younger, prettier, etc. Nowadays, I see people I know posting pics online where they look younger, thinner, prettier, everything all in one. Some of these pics look absolutely nothing like the girl in the photo. It's ridiculous.

If you still decide to meet her, be prepared for her to look even worse in person than she does in her newest, more natural pics she sent you.

"Worse in Person," I always liked that name for a band.

You know, nutty as it seems, there are people out there who don't even have a full-length mirror and still squeeze into the same clothes they wore in high school busting at the seams and still think they look like they used to look -- and men are even worse than women about that. I've heard so many guys on forums say they were 40 but still looked about the same as 25. Please.

I know someone who doesn't have a mirror and she got all wrapped up (early days) on an online role-playing game and was, as they all do, acting the empress on there at her age (old) and some guy got interested and she never once thought about taking a current pic and sending it to him. She sent him a 30 year old picture! I guess it's how she still thinks of herself. No wonder she hates to go try on clothes in the dressing room. So she got so distracted and obsessed with this situation that she nearly lost her home and neglected her pet and her clients were calling me because she went MIA. It was nuts. It was only a couple or three years later she confessed what happened.

I guess in her mind, this guy was the answer to her prayers or something and a way to new life where she didn't need a home and work -- either that or she was just that delusional. Anyway, what happened is next thing she knows, another guy who's friends with that guy on the game comments on the game that he guessed she was a little heavier than her photo, huh? Well, she didn't show that guy anything, so she knew it came from the guy she was involved with through the game. And the only way he'd have known is he drove by and saw her. She thought she might have seen him one day. But you know, it could also have been a private investigator doing it for him. She was crushed.

All I said was: So you didn't send him a photo of yourself now that you're fat??? And she made some comment as if it shouldn't matter. Lord. She did learn her lesson though. But seriously, she avoids seeing herself.

On that note, though I'm not looking, I have occasionally had guys get interested, and right away, I tell them I'm old and huge fat. I use those words. And I have had guys refuse to believe it. And I am NOT sending any fat pics to anyone because I don't want them out there and am not looking. So I am sending no pics online. I do keep old, old photos of myself on a blog and in a storage, but I will actually go in there and write the year date on there so no one can say anything about it. I did have someone once ask me "Why does it say 1978," though.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 1
I'veseenbetterlol
I once had a tinder date who put up someone else's pic but it turned out he was hot af anyway. I have no idea why he did it. We dated for a few months and he was stark raving mad. lol

I have also had two different men lie to me recently about their height while standing right next to me, as if what they told me was going to somehow change how tall they seemed to me.

I've done a lot of OLD, tho, and only on a couple of occassions found that the person was unrecognizable from the pics.

To me lying is lying, I don't care how attractive the guy ends up being. I'm extremely wary of people lying.

mortensorchid

People lie. They just do, especially in OLD whether it's about their ages or appearances. It's been common practice for people to put up old or altered photos of themselves because that's how we want to be. Most models are also airbrushed, I hear some models actually have cellulite but you would never know because all the images we see of them are airbrushed or filtered. But I digress ...

Why do they lie? I think they are ashamed of how they are now, but I think they are being ridiculous if they think that they are going to somehow lie and get away with it. Like that football player with the fake gf who was actually a man who was pretending to be a woman because he wanted to imagine himself in a pretend relationship with him. (Google it) And when all situations pointed to the meeting ... You have to face the other eventually with your actual appearance and ... Be afraid of being caught in the lie.

If it happens, I am sorry. But it's what it is.

Eternal Sunshine

This is exactly why I have insisted on meeting ASAP when I did OLD. 8 times out of 10, guy lied about his height and looks much older and much worse in person. Regardless of the “connection”, if looks are unsatisfactory in person I’m not going to go further - why waste time.

• Like 1

Well , what struck me as weird too was also that 2 out of 3 women would say right there on their page how important physical attraction was,

But then they use old pics or no body shots but 5 face shots, 2 of the dog and one with a beer , yaknow .

l remember one chick had about 5 face shots and then one of , wait for it , her feet , yep her feet, that's it. And of course the importance of physical attraction was all over her page

Weird people on that online stuff.

Edited by Chilli
  • Like 1

I've had some pretty nice dates, actually, compared to most here it seems. Only my first ex was a bit shorter than he estimated... >-> But we were in a LDR so I was hooked by then!

Everyone else always looked like their photos. When I started OLD, I put up my ugliest photos (awkward angles, bad lighting) to always be able to impress a guy when I meet in person. Then my friends commented that, not only did I look bad on those photos, but some were so bad that I didn't look the same! So I stopped and put up some pretty photos.

Mind you, the only time I didn't look exactly the same as my photos was when it was a heat wave here and my cheeks would be red, so I wouldn't date on heat wave days to not feel self-conscious about the first impressions. Otherwise, I've always been told that I look like my photos and am gorgeous... My tip is, use the same makeup (if you use any) on dates as in photos and definitely show some full-body ones!

I put one up with me bowling and it showcases my big butt. :p That way, I figure it'll filter out the guys that want a skinny girl.

I would say, for sure, if someone lies about their photos, dump their ass in a second. Too bad for them- they should learn...

• Like 1
mortensorchid

Interesting side note to this story: This is not a new phenomena. Twenty years ago, I went to Egypt (an epic experience, but that's for another thread) and saw statues in museums of gods and the phaorahs. All of the statues of the phaorahs, if you have ever noticed, look very much the same. They are all young, thin and cute. They showed us some other, rarely seen statues of common people - they are bald, not so muscular, and have middle aged spreads around the middle. And a mummy also had a painted face on it - of a man who was young, cute and had a full head of hair. This is because that is how he wanted to look in the afterlife; and, how the phaorahs wanted the people to THINK they looked, even if the common people never once saw the man himself in the flesh.

So it's not like it's new. People have been lying since the beginning of time about their appearances. We just have a different means of technology to do so.

• Like 1