husband duped / not paying attention

LOL my fridge is full ... primarily with Diet Coke. If there is food in there, means I have guest/s that night :D Cooking is reserved to impress people, for me a pint of ice cream for dinner is heaven. Sure my niece would think poor auntie is starving :D

I just checked my fridge. It's full, but with...

- Four tubs of cold pressed avo

- A tub of greek yogurt

- A few punnets of berries, other fruits

- Lots of different drinks. Non-alch, beer, wine...

- Few types of cheese

- Various spreads and jams

- Bread (yes, we keep this in the fridge)

- Eggs (yes, yes...)

Not much that we can cook with, haha. We usually cook only 1-2x/week nowadays, since food delivery in this city is so convenient, affordable, and lots of options. We did cook a lot more often when we lived in a small town and I was only working part-time, though. Now that I'm working full-time, honestly I can't be arsed most of the time. The SO is actually a really good cook, but he just doesn't have the time to do it on weekdays due to his work hours, and weekends (if he's not working) are date nights.

No, he disrespected her!

No, not at all. While his reaction was out of line, so was the entire situation to begin with. This is not a marriatge between equals, not how adults interact with one another.

The problem here is, she's frankly speaking looking down on him and clearly showing this. You are doing the same. It's not even that you don't seem to notice, you just think it's your "right" and "how things should be" as "the better".

Hilariously enough. This is more often than not a consequence of Dunning-Krueger Syndrome. At least the whole treating other people like incompetent children and believing one superior to them.

• Author
No, not at all. While his reaction was out of line, so was the entire situation to begin with. This is not a marriatge between equals, not how adults interact with one another.

The problem here is, she's frankly speaking looking down on him and clearly showing this. You are doing the same. It's not even that you don't seem to notice, you just think it's your "right" and "how things should be" as "the better".

Hilariously enough. This is more often than not a consequence of Dunning-Krueger Syndrome. At least the whole treating other people like incompetent children and believing one superior to them.

Thanks for the laugh. I enjoyed the arm chair psychology that missed the mark by miles. I am not condescending, especially to my husband. I do give clear precise instructions. Doing so is part of being an effective communicator. I don't expect him to read my mind & then go off when his psychic abilities fail me.

But let me as you this: what should I have done?

1. Not asked my husband to go to the store so we had nothing to eat?

2. Not done my job, in favor of going to the store, so we had no money? We live in a place where unfortunately grocery stores close at 9 pm. So leaving my house at 7 a.m. but not getting home until after 10 p.m. left

me with no time to shop. Similarly paying up to $50 extra per order to have somebody else shop for me & pick it up or have it delivered also defeats the idea of a budget. I don't know about you, but where I'm from money doesn't grow on trees.

3. Not given him a list or the circular so he could have bought whatever he wanted, even if that also resulted in us not having nutritious meals? I really had no interest in eating cereal, PB&J, or frozen food all week. The two weeks before we had take out A LOT which was wearing thing on the wallet.

You may think it's condescending but I think it's ridiculous that a grown man doesn't know that whole chicken breaks are different from pre-cut organic chicken fillets when even the color of the packaging was different -- yellow vs. green.

But for him to snap at me in an angry tone, saying the store is at fault continues to make no sense.

Try to remember, I didn't scream "You bought the wrong thing, you idiot." I said, "Why did you buy the more expensive pre-cut organic fillets when I asked you for the whole chicken breasts that were on sale?" In your world it seems I'm not allowed to ask questions. I'm just supposed to say thank you because he went to the store, regardless of what he came home with. Would your answer be the same if all he bought were frozen chicken tenders, chips & beer?

• Like 3

What I can’t understand is how anyone can be unable to go grocery shopping at your husbands age.

I’m dumb founded. Has he ever been shopping anywhere? If so, he should know how to look for the things on the list.

• Like 3
Happy Lemming
I do give clear precise instructions.

If I could expand upon your post... For me, it seems my grocery store tries to do a subtle "bait and switch". They have this great sale item, but they put it towards the top and back of the meat shelf. They put the expensive cuts up front and lower to catch the eye of the shopper. Sometimes I have to ask the Grocery Store butcher where is "this particular" cut of meat/poultry that is on sale $.99/pound. So having the circular and the picture is advantageous, so the butcher can see exactly what I want to purchase. If they are sold out, sometimes they will substitute a different meat at that sale price vs. losing a sale.

I've also been trying these new "digital coupon" that you load to your frequent shopper card. They have their own problems when you try to use them. Lately, I've been printing out my digital coupons and taking them with me, so when the check out clerk wants to argue about the price of something, I whip out my printout. It seems the old "clip it out of the Sunday paper" coupons are becoming a thing of the past.

• Author

Happy Lemming I think that the store's tactic of making the more expensive stuff more accessible played a part in it.

I'm just trying to figure out why Maraud3r keeps making me the bad guy in all of this? Since he or she is so insistent that I'm wrong I would like to know what his / her solution would have been.

BettyDraper
How on earth cooking is a basic life skill :D?? It’s a hobby no more no less, since one can buy anything cooked/ near cooked.

Imposing your hobby on your partner is just... controlling at best. You know, fast food is much cheaper than any home cooked crap nowadays, it’s not like one depends on their cooking spouse.

Cooking is a life skill because buying cooked items and frozen items becomes expensive. Being unable or unwilling to cook shows a lack of responsibility and maturity. Most people have families with children at some point so cooking becomes a necessity at that point due to cost.

Being able to cook, clean and grocery shop are all basic tasks of adulthood.

As for the OP, I don’t believe that it’s unreasonable to expect a spouse to be able to follow basic instructions. Perhaps spouses who do not wish to be treated like children should behave like adults. An intelligent grown person should be able to follow a grocery list unless he cannot read. Unfortunately, it’s quite common for men to be clueless about domestic tasks because most men are coddled by parents and then wives when it comes to such matters. I don’t understand why men’s incompetence in this area is laughed off. I find it hard to respect adults who cannot be trusted with simple everyday tasks.

While I believe that respect and appreciation are extremely important to men, it is not helpful to tiptoe around men’s emotions to protect their egos. This creates an unhealthy imbalance in a marriage. Lashing out for no good reason is unbecoming for an adult. Constructive criticism is necessary even if it doesn’t always feel good.

• Like 5
BettyDraper
Thanks for the laugh. I enjoyed the arm chair psychology that missed the mark by miles. I am not condescending, especially to my husband. I do give clear precise instructions. Doing so is part of being an effective communicator. I don't expect him to read my mind & then go off when his psychic abilities fail me.

But let me as you this: what should I have done?

1. Not asked my husband to go to the store so we had nothing to eat?

2. Not done my job, in favor of going to the store, so we had no money? We live in a place where unfortunately grocery stores close at 9 pm. So leaving my house at 7 a.m. but not getting home until after 10 p.m. left

me with no time to shop. Similarly paying up to $50 extra per order to have somebody else shop for me & pick it up or have it delivered also defeats the idea of a budget. I don't know about you, but where I'm from money doesn't grow on trees.

3. Not given him a list or the circular so he could have bought whatever he wanted, even if that also resulted in us not having nutritious meals? I really had no interest in eating cereal, PB&J, or frozen food all week. The two weeks before we had take out A LOT which was wearing thing on the wallet.

You may think it's condescending but I think it's ridiculous that a grown man doesn't know that whole chicken breaks are different from pre-cut organic chicken fillets when even the color of the packaging was different -- yellow vs. green.

But for him to snap at me in an angry tone, saying the store is at fault continues to make no sense.

Try to remember, I didn't scream "You bought the wrong thing, you idiot." I said, "Why did you buy the more expensive pre-cut organic fillets when I asked you for the whole chicken breasts that were on sale?" In your world it seems I'm not allowed to ask questions. I'm just supposed to say thank you because he went to the store, regardless of what he came home with. Would your answer be the same if all he bought were frozen chicken tenders, chips & beer?

Some people think that wives should never voice any negative opinions in a marriage. They think that husbands’ egos are more important. A real man would be able to handle a justified negative reaction to his behavior, provided that the reaction was measured and calm.

• Like 3
BettyDraper
My sister swears her husband does this with washing dishes. She never complains about the dirty dishes she pulls out of the cupboards, though. :lmao: It's like a power struggle.

I've witnessed men doing the same because they would rather be lazy and play video games or watch sports. I think that behavior is rather pathetic and childish. We all have duties in life. Being helpful to our spouses is one of them if we don't want resentment to poison our marriages.

Women are usually socialized to be caregivers so we put the comfort of others ahead of ourselves. We also excuse immaturity and incompetence from men. Men are not typically socialized to think of others so selfish behavior becomes the norm for them until they are alerted to it. A close friend of mine has a husband who wants another child. They have a 5 year old. My friend refuses to have another baby because her husband barely helps with their first child. How someone can ask about having another baby while doing nothing to help his spouse is beyond me. It's just so selfish. My friend had the flu recently and her husband actually asked her to get out of bed and make taco salad for him. :eek: There was no consideration for the fact that my friend was ill.

The point I am making is that wives need to stop coddling husbands and set firm boundaries. That's the only way marriages will become more equitable in terms of chores and childrearing.

• Like 4

Who said superior? He was being incompetent after clear instructions.

Why are you making clear excuses for inadequate performance?

She should be able to question him reasonably after he failed miserably... and she wasn't being mean - he was inadequate and he knew it... to the point of being defensive.

• Like 1
Thanks for the laugh.

Same right back to you. I was mostly addressing S2B and her take on the situation/attitude rather than yours. Yours never came off anywhere near as extreme and aggressive albeit slightly leaning into a certain direction.

Some people think that wives should never voice any negative opinions in a marriage. They think that husbands’ egos are more important. A real man would be able to handle a justified negative reaction to his behavior, provided that the reaction was measured and calm.

Who are those some people? Because that's certain not me. So stating this in your response to her response to me seems, odd. My problem isn't with criticism or voicing opinions. It's with the approach taken here which moves very far out of the boundaries of how two adults, two adults in a relationship of equals should interact with one another.

Because it's approaching the opposite of what you said here, a relationship where the wife acts more like the mother and authority figure who has to deal with the unruly and childish husband.

@dOnnivain, I think your reaction to his anger is very normal! You have every reason to react negatively. There is nothing wrong with you and the answer is for your husband to better handle his emotions, not for you to get a thicker skin.

It cracks me up to see people posting that he is being baby-fied because of her requests to grocery shop with lists and pictures; actually, he should be held accountable for his immature angry outbursts. As a grown up he should have enough ego control to handle this without going off on the OP.

Re shopping lists: everyone has strengths and weaknesses. I realize that you were in a pinch, but I would try to do the shopping as often as possible. My H will blow our entire week's budget on a single meal if I send him out. It is just is what it is. I pick my battles. There are things that are very easy for him to do and I will never be able to them adequately, let alone well.

Who said superior? He was being incompetent after clear instructions.

Why are you making clear excuses for inadequate performance?

She should be able to question him reasonably after he failed miserably... and she wasn't being mean - he was inadequate and he knew it... to the point of being defensive.

He didn't fail or perform inadequately. Was is he, her employee? He went to the store and brought back the right protein, just not in the format, the quantity or at the price she wanted.

Heck, that's minor. So minor that I think most people would do as she did and simply point it out (hey, why did you buy this instead of the cheaper kind) or roll with it. And yes, have a few nights of pasta that week, which is not a punishment. Who the heck doesn't like pasta?

It's too bad he felt criticized when she pointed it out - and that might speak to some undercurrent between them. At the same time, it's now all sorted, so what are we even arguing about?

• Like 1
My gut still says he did it on purpose by acting like a child.

Since he's incapable of simple tasks - take him and hold his hand through it like he is a child.

Seriously a grown man who can't grocery shop? He is spoiled and acting like a brat.

My kids did better when they were 10 years old.

Quit spoiling him. I stand by my suggestion of VERY simple meals (3 this week) since he didn't buy enough for the six meals you planned.

Or... let him return to the market and spend next to nothing to plan AND cook three meals himself. Does he cook often?

Good Lord! Do people really treat their spouses this way? You sound so punitive and retaliatory. So the OP's husband sucks at grocery shopping. Big freaking deal! Can you do every single thing that your husband does? Equally as well as he does it?

The OP's husband went grocery shopping and screwed it up. That doesn't mean he needs to be treated like a child or that his wife should impose some sort of punitive consequences on him. In my last longterm relationship my SO did the bulk of the cooking because he loved to cook and he was better at than me. But when he worked late and couldn't do it then I did it. If I messed something up or didn't prepare something as he liked he never said a word. I would be the one to call attention to my mistakes and he would make me feel better by pointing out all the things I did well.

God help him if he treated me like you are suggesting the OP treat her husband.

"Well this chicken isn't cooked right. You must be doing this on purpose, guess I'm going to have to hold your hand like a child and teach you the right way to cook. Meanwhile, you can eat rice and beans for the next 3 days because I don't have time to cook" Oh, HELL TO THE NO!!

That is not a healthy adult way for people to treat each other. I can only imagine the kind of problems that kind of behaviour would lead to in a marriage, If one person is screwing up on purpose just to be passive aggressive then that is a much bigger and different problem and requires counselling. Not being treated like a child or being punished.

Betty I am pretty sure the price is not much different. What people don't include in the cooking costs is, on top of price of groceries is 1) gas/electricity used, 2) water/detergents for dishwashing 3) cookware (very expensive!)/ cookware wear&tear 4) time (that can be used to make money e.g. with longer working hours).

It is the same with owning a car vs ubering around. I've done both and can say for sure I spend more owning a car vs using car shares and my car is brand new so needs minimal maintenance. Imagine an old one that needs repairs every other day...

Cleaning - it is maaaaybe still cheaper to DIY although this is also arguable if you include the cost of your own time.

Just nowadays services become a hobby not a necessity. Almost nobody nowadays sews their own clothes because the confection is so cheap. Same thing will happen with cooking sooner than later.

That's why it's a bit mind boggling when people talk about a 'burden' of house chores, husband/wife responsibilities etc. It's a want not a need.

Cooking is a life skill because buying cooked items and frozen items becomes expensive. Being unable or unwilling to cook shows a lack of responsibility and maturity. Most people have families with children at some point so cooking becomes a necessity at that point due to cost.

Being able to cook, clean and grocery shop are all basic tasks of adulthood.

As for the OP, I don’t believe that it’s unreasonable to expect a spouse to be able to follow basic instructions. Perhaps spouses who do not wish to be treated like children should behave like adults. An intelligent grown person should be able to follow a grocery list unless he cannot read. Unfortunately, it’s quite common for men to be clueless about domestic tasks because most men are coddled by parents and then wives when it comes to such matters. I don’t understand why men’s incompetence in this area is laughed off. I find it hard to respect adults who cannot be trusted with simple everyday tasks.

While I believe that respect and appreciation are extremely important to men, it is not helpful to tiptoe around men’s emotions to protect their egos. This creates an unhealthy imbalance in a marriage. Lashing out for no good reason is unbecoming for an adult. Constructive criticism is necessary even if it doesn’t always feel good.

• Like 1

It's not a gender thing. If a man reacted in S2B's manner towards his wife who came back from the hardware store with the wrong item ("cold showers for the next 3 days for you!!!" :rolleyes:), I'd tell her to seriously reconsider her marriage, too. (The OP's reaction was fine IMO, and she and her H seem to have worked it out, so I see no issue there)

• Like 4

LOL my list is about the same sans the alcoholic stuff. I though everybody keeps their bread in the fridge? I've been doing that since I start living alone.

convenient, affordable, and lots of options - that's the thing - with prices dropping grocery shopping/cooking is no longer a necessity. I'm sure with the hidden costs (utilities, cookware, time etc) it is 9/10 times MORE expensive to make a home dish than buy one.

The whole aspect of splitting 'chores' between spouses boggles my mind. There is nearly nothing to be done in a family without kids besides hobby things like home repairs or cooking or gardening (yup, I enjoy home repairs- I don't NEED to do it but it's fun to do it like in the olden days instead of hiring a handyman). Nothing essential that takes substantial amount of time I mean.

I just checked my fridge. It's full, but with...

- Four tubs of cold pressed avo

- A tub of greek yogurt

- A few punnets of berries, other fruits

- Lots of different drinks. Non-alch, beer, wine...

- Few types of cheese

- Various spreads and jams

- Bread (yes, we keep this in the fridge)

- Eggs (yes, yes...)

Not much that we can cook with, haha. We usually cook only 1-2x/week nowadays, since food delivery in this city is so convenient, affordable, and lots of options. We did cook a lot more often when we lived in a small town and I was only working part-time, though. Now that I'm working full-time, honestly I can't be arsed most of the time. The SO is actually a really good cook, but he just doesn't have the time to do it on weekdays due to his work hours, and weekends (if he's not working) are date nights.

Betty I am pretty sure the price is not much different. What people don't include in the cooking costs is, on top of price of groceries is 1) gas/electricity used, 2) water/detergents for dishwashing 3) cookware (very expensive!)/ cookware wear&tear 4) time (that can be used to make money e.g. with longer working hours).

I actually did the math here - we'd save $10-15 by cooking, compared to eating at an affordable hole-in-the-wall place. However, it'd take about an hour for prep + cooking + dishes + cleanup, not counting extra time for groceries/inventory. Personally, I don't find $10/hr to be a good salary... :p

Although, I'd say that it isn't just about the money. Some people like to be able to know exactly what goes into their food, or sometimes there aren't many affordable food options close by, etc etc. Even money-wise, it's not necessarily easy for everyone to be able to pick up additional side income, so there may not be the option of working for the extra cash (it's easy in my field, but not in all fields). That's all completely understandable.

There can be joy in cooking (and then eating) together, too, if a couple has the time and inclination.

• Like 2

convenient, affordable, and lots of options - that's the thing - with prices dropping grocery shopping/cooking is no longer a necessity. I'm sure with the hidden costs (utilities, cookware, time etc) it is 9/10 times MORE expensive to make a home dish than buy one.

Really depends on where you live. IME this is true in the big cities, not really true in most other places. We once lived in a tiny town where literally the only affordable options were fast food and terrible greasy faux-Asian food (I say faux-Asian because authentic Asian food is nothing like that). You better believe we cooked a lot there, lol...

• Like 1

I agree with your analysis and it can definitely be a bonding experience to cook and then eat together. Even I (someone who's totally content with ice cream dinners :D) start doing it for bonding purposes.

But here people say D0n's husband is incompetent and lacking life skills?! C''mon. There was an issue and it was his anger management, provoked or not... But not 'life skills'.

On a side note, I'm not that sure that eating home is healthier either. The lack of proper QC of food prep is a big thing to underestimate...

I actually did the math here - we'd save $10-15 by cooking, compared to eating at an affordable hole-in-the-wall place. However, it'd take about an hour for prep + cooking + dishes + cleanup, not counting extra time for groceries/inventory. Personally, I don't find $10/hr to be a good salary... :p

Although, I'd say that it isn't just about the money. Some people like to be able to know exactly what goes into their food, or sometimes there aren't many affordable food options close by, etc etc. Even money-wise, it's not necessarily easy for everyone to be able to pick up additional side income, so there may not be the option of working for the extra cash (it's easy in my field, but not in all fields). That's all completely understandable.

There can be joy in cooking (and then eating) together, too, if a couple has the time and inclination.

To add, I’m not sure how this “following her to the grocery store so that he can teach him” is going to work. Next time, just send him a snapshot of the coupon and he can ask the people working there: “Where can I find this chicken/steak that is currently on sale?”

This.

My husband is a major DIY'er. I can't tell you how many times he's been in the middle of a project, under a car, whatever, and needs X part. He's not going to stop in the middle of the project to run to the hardware or auto parts store, so off I go, completely out of my element. And I always ask for help so I don't bring home the wrong item (granted, you can make any chicken breast work but can't substitute a 3/4" pipe when 1/2" is needed). Point being, that's what the workers are there for and if he isn't sure, he needs to step up and ask. It may only be $10 this trip, but add up $10 on all the trips in a month and that's a bill you could've paid.

• Like 1
BettyDraper
I agree with your analysis and it can definitely be a bonding experience to cook and then eat together. Even I (someone who's totally content with ice cream dinners :D) start doing it for bonding purposes.

But here people say D0n's husband is incompetent and lacking life skills?! C''mon. There was an issue and it was his anger management, provoked or not... But not 'life skills'.

On a side note, I'm not that sure that eating home is healthier either. The lack of proper QC of food prep is a big thing to underestimate...

All of the costs of cooking you mentioned are completely irrelevant because you would have used the time, money, and utilities saved for other tasks. I find your explanation funny. I’m sure you’re not sitting at work thinking “I saved 34.65 minutes by buying my meals. Now I can stay at work for that amount of time!” Also, your argument about taking the time to earn more money doesn’t make sense for those who are not paid hourly.

When you eat at restaurants or buy prepared meals at supermarkets, you have no idea which ingredients are in your food. Cooking at home means that you have the opportunity to see exactly which ingredients are in your meals.

Reading comprehension and being able to follow clear instructions are both necessary skills needed to survive in the world. So is being able to nourish yourself by buying and preparing food. I don’t think these concepts are difficult to grasp.

Edited by BettyDraper
  • Like 3

When I bought my home I decided to step up my cooking game and buy the necessary equipment. I don’t even want to think of how much money I spent on pots and pans, if I had to buy the appliances it would have been 10x worse. Having a functional kitchen comes with HUGE upfront cost that people forget about?

The utilities used for cooking you’d use for what else? It’s an added expense.

For ingredients you’re right, I still believe getting the proper QC that quality food facilities provide (any actually, they’ll get closed otherwise) offsets the potential health benefit of home cooking.

For time, I’m personally not paid hourly but leaving 2 hours earlier each day to do ‘chores at home’ is sure going to have an effect on my pay by simply not getting promoted because if not getting things done...

Anyway, both positions are valid life choices, the only time I see it as an issue is if two spouses / family members have vastly different idea of which choice is ‘better’... and poke each other for it...

All of the costs of cooking you mentioned are completely irrelevant because you would have used the time, money, and utilities saved for other tasks. I find your explanation funny. I’m sure you’re not sitting at work thinking “I saved 34.65 minutes by buying my meals. Now I can stay at work for that amount of time!” Also, your argument about taking the time to earn more money doesn’t make sense for those who are not paid hourly.

When you eat at restaurants or buy prepared meals at supermarkets, you have no idea which ingredients are in your food. Cooking at home means that you have the opportunity to see exactly which ingredients are in your meals.

Reading comprehension and being able to follow clear instructions are both necessary skills needed to survive in the world. So is being able to nourish yourself by buying and preparing food. I don’t think these concepts are difficult to grasp.

***Moderator's Note***

Let's swing the posts back to the topic please and let's also not post insults disguised as advice.

Thread starter, if you would like this thread closed then alert on a post and we will do so, thanks

Robert