I am glad you got the treatment promptly. FYI if you think you've been bit by a tick you bring the bug to the doctor with you. They can analyze it to confirm if the bug carries Lyme disease or not.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Its amazing how in this day in age, there aren't many lyme literate doctors out there. The regular tests you get at these doctors aren't even 100% accurate. sad. I am even surprised that there isn't a vaccine for lyme. I do a lot of fishing in the woods and I stay away from certain areas. sucks that I cannot enjoy my passion bc of ticks.

If I wanted to get tested and get a more accurate result, I would order a kit straight from IGENEX. They seem to be the leader. I have done tons of research on this stuff.

And If I were to get sick, I would go straight to IV antibiotics, IV glutathione and IV vitamin C in a high dose. A very high dose right in the blood stream.

• Author
amaysngrace

To update, I feel fine and the tick bite looks just like any other bug bite would at this time.

I only did one round of very strong antibiotics and no tests were done because I went just four days after being bit so it was too soon. I don't think I need to do anything further since my doctor told me I only have to follow up if there's a problem.

No problem :)

• Like 1
Doorstopper

You probably got doxycycline. You can't normally get Lyme disease from an instant tick byte. Lyme transmission is only about 10% after a tick has been attached for 24 hrs so transmission just from a bite, is close to zero. I'm surprised they didn't tell you this.

Here's something to remember though. If you the to the Dr. within 72 hrs of the bite, a single dose of doxycyclene is sufficient. I learned this one the hard way the last time when the Dr said "Since your pretty sure it was only on 24 hrs, it's better off to wait and see rather than give you the antibiotic".

I have had Lyme disease and was hospitalized will Bell's palsy and meningitis because of it. Fortunately, hospitalization was, only til they found out exactly what was wrong, recovery was quick (4-6 weeks) and I have had no lasting effects whatsoever. I spent 30 days on a self administered doxcyclyene IV.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

I'm glad your body fought it but it sure sounds like you went through hell to get well.

I wasn't prescribed that med you mentioned because I'm a beach goer and it interacts badly with the sun so he put me on a stronger version of a penicillin, I believe it was.

I took it faithfully for ten days and I'm usually opposed to antibiotics but in this instance the benefits outweighed the risk to my immune system. I had developed a reaction caused by infection within days so better safe than sorry.

• Like 1
Doorstopper
I'm glad your body fought it but it sure sounds like you went through hell to get well.

I wasn't prescribed that med you mentioned because I'm a beach goer and it interacts badly with the sun so he put me on a stronger version of a penicillin, I believe it was.

I took it faithfully for ten days and I'm usually opposed to antibiotics but in this instance the benefits outweighed the risk to my immune system. I had developed a reaction caused by infection within days so better safe than sorry.

It was even worse, at least emotionally.

I had no Bull's eye and it started with just a little eye pain about a week before the Bell's Palsy set it. I went to my Dr. in Boston who sent me to Mass Eye and Ear ER. They sent me home saying it might be optic neuritis but we don't know why your vision is so good. If you google Optic neuritis, its often a precursor to MS. They scheduled me for a MRI and I was thinking I might have MS.

A day after the MRI, The Bell's Palsy starts , I go back to the ER, Its July 3rd so they send me to Mass General (next door) do another MRI (to compare), spinal tap, lots of blood and send out for about 100 tests. There were a couple of indications that it might be Lyme (I had a fever a month before) but the weren't sure. After 3 days of alternating, anti-virals and antibiotics the Lyme test finally come back.

I did get to see the July 4 Flyover of the Esplanade by the Air force from a 17th floor room overlooking the Charles river. That was pretty cool.

Anyway, Its good to hear that you're fine.

• Like 1
  • Author
amaysngrace

I did get to see the July 4 Flyover of the Esplanade by the Air force from a 17th floor room overlooking the Charles river. That was pretty cool.

soooo.....worth! :)

• Author
amaysngrace
amysgrace

So how are you feeling? Did everything dissipate?

I'm fine thanks! :)

There's one little spot where you can see where it bit me but other than that I'm good.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I had Lyme from a Lyme carrying deer tick some 30 years ago, huge red bullseye rash with a horrible yeasty centre. Ended up in a fever ward having febrile fits and very, very ill. It hadn't been identified back then, so I wasn't treated properly. Since then, I have had serious health issues, I am disabled due to a connective tissue disease and autoimmune disorders. My immunologist thinks the tick bite and the severity of my reaction to it might have triggered my autoimmune system to go bonkers.

I am now in a wheelchair most of the time and am medically retired, I went from a super fit, gym every day person to not being able to walk very far. My reaction is rare, a lot of people think tick bite automatically means Lyme, not so, but they should always be treated with antibiotics. Sounds like yours isn't Lyme, you will know if you have Lyme. Hope all is good x

I think it depends on the type of tick...some are worse than others....like dogs it also depends on immunity levels and how run down we are.....

i got bit by a tick as a child a...bad one...not just bit though it feasted not found in my hair for i don't know how long it was behind my ear and i had waist length hair...and we lived in the bush...literally.....all around us and a dirt road to our place.... sweet livin...:0) but the ticks were paralysis ticks...big mothers...cow ticks

anyway

i woke up one morning blind in one eye with it swollen shut unable to open and half my face black and swollen mum took me to the docs after finding and removing the swollen tick..... the doc told mum the effects from the tick would wear off,gave me some kind of horse needle....not much else he could do.... and i was sent home....my face returned eventually.........took a while....

same with my border collie found abad tick...paralysis tick....the vet gave my dog antivenom and kept overnight and i was told to watch him when he came home...because he could have a heart attack if he exerted himself... he walked funny for about two weeks...he is fine now

the poison goes through your system anyway amay... and it depends on how healthy you are i guess to kick through it....the antibiotics should help you i hope the bump and pus goes away soon......xo...deb