Is it possible to believe your partner will change?

believe or not

DrReplyInRhymes
he lost all of his money and assets over 12 years ago with a business failure (white collar crime)... but he has been working ever since; however, he can't be picky about the jobs and therefore, hasn't earned a great deal. The current job is stable but doesn't pay much, but with social security he brings home about $4,000/month (before tax). He still has 2 years left on his car loan $350/month and regular expenses like part b (he has medicare).

$4k a month is plenty of money to live, especially if you are frugal.

What's the problem?

Holy cow $4K a month, what's the problem? Most people living on pension get $800/month around here.

frustrated728

all true statements above. But then why couldn't he pay for some of the larger credit card bills from his checking account - instead he used the trust $ and why didn't he set up a savings account if he really had extra money. At this point, he has about $3,500 in checking and another pay check in a few weeks but then will need to pay rent, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that can he be trusted to not overspend now that he has some $ and save it because he can surely use it ($30K isn't enough for retirement even with social security).

I'm confused by your username changing mid thread.

You say you've dated 5 years yet your other thread said recently you've dated one year.

You've not been invited to family gatherings - he has not invited you to meet his friends.

He doesn't buy you gifts anymore and doesn't take you on trips.

He doesn't tell you he loves you anymore.

You said he's a doctor - why isn't he earning more if he's working 6 days a week? What does he spend all his money on? Why can't he buy you flowers, gifts or a trip like he promised?

Do NOT sell your house. Do not move with him.

You see him one night a week at your home - does he take you OUT on planned dates? He's not making effort! He could be seeing someone else. Pop in to his place unexpected sometime. Surprise him. Have you ever been to his home?

Something isn't right with this guy. He has little money and doesn't do anything to appreciate you - yet he works 6 days a week? Things don't add up!

Just end it - any other man will spend time with you.

This guy promised you a lot at the beginning but hasn't done anything of what he said.

Just date other men... most men will treat you right - this guy isn't doing that.

Edited by S2B
I'm confused by your username changing mid thread.

You say you've dated 5 years yet your other thread said recently you've dated one year.

It's clearly one person posting contradictory information under two different accounts and forgot which one to use. "Believe it or Not". I chose not.

all true statements above. But then why couldn't he pay for some of the larger credit card bills from his checking account - instead he used the trust $ and why didn't he set up a savings account if he really had extra money. At this point, he has about $3,500 in checking and another pay check in a few weeks but then will need to pay rent, etc.

My bf of almost 5 years has had a history of lies, not to hurt anyone because he is a sensitive guy but I think his ego gets in the way and maybe due to denial.
Edited by Adiron