Do you think she took my joke wrong?

Heathsummesun

Versacehottie
This^^^^. Doesn't matter if you had been sarcastic with her before...people can turn ugly with insecurity or "butt hurtness" showing their true colours.

Yeah, it comes off super transparent. No laughing emoji would be enough really that someone couldn't see through the "joke".

Versacehottie
The painting comment, perfectly fine. The comment in your OP, very likely to come across as an underlying subtext of being a bit put out.

Can you see the difference between the two?

Reality check here - if you're going to frequently make comments which could easily be taken the wrong way or interpreted as passive aggressive, expect a lot of girls to be put off by it, not necessarily because of a single comment, but by the prospect of it happening again and again in future, and causing communication barriers or arguments in a future relationship. Some people just don't want that sort of drama, or to be second guessing your motivations

This^^^^ 100%. The painting joke is ok. The OP joke reflects insecurity issues (which actually in context the painting joke, while fine, foreshadowed). Both of them and a reluctance to genuinely apologize reflects a chip on your shoulder (and honestly neither was particularly funny TBH). Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you but you seemed genuinely baffled so hopefully the dissection will help you understand how other people might view it.Good luck

Yet you created an account and posted specifically about this issue, so on some level you realize what you did (and it wasn't just "literally trying to be funny."

^^^This. All. Day. Long.

Yep--on some level you're worried you messed up, OP.

I'm sarcastic, too, but when someone I've barely known 2 months is telling me that they should be more important than my job would cause me to take a huge step backwards and observe.

• Like 2

I'm not going to analyze your joke, or ponder what on what you really meant. It's possible that you really just meant to send her a light hearted funny text. The thing is that you have to be really careful about jokes and especially sarcasm through texts. I myself have wrote something out to someone that I meant to be funny, only to delete it because upon reading it back I realized that the humour wasn't translating to text very well and could be taken the wrong way.

If you really want to find out where you stand with this girl now, stop texting her. Pick up the phone and have an actual conversation. Say, hey I hope you didn't take my sarcastic text seriously, I was just teasing you.

• Like 1

First of all sarcasm doesn’t translate well in text if you don’t know the person very well yet and haven’t established your communication style and inside jokes.

Also, timing is important. It could have been funny if you would have said something like this immediately and then made it obvious that it’s a joke and say sweet dreams and call it a day. This way you would have teased her a bit but still demonstrate that you respect her time. If you come back to the exchange next day it just feels contrived.

Advice for the future - being spontaneous is great but don’t ask women out in the last minute with short notice. It just feels like you’re bored and haven’t got anything better to do and they are your last option. Put some effort into a date, it makes a lot of difference.

• Like 1
Really? I mean.

Wow

I'm a sarcastic person. i was literally tryng to be funny. I'm not mad at all about this

Women see right through these "Only joking" guys. If it comes out of your mouth, first the thought was in your brain.

• Like 1
about 2 months. i mean i've been sarcastic with her before

she discussed us going to a paint night, and i told her i suck at painting so i expect her to totally talk crap about my painting and that i wouldnt admit hers is better than mine and she laughed

That was self-deprecating. This wasn't.

Many people won't tolerate passive-aggressive sarcasm at all, but even the ones who will are going to get sick of it long-term. It's predictable.

Edited by preraph

Too much worked into this story, he should have said let's make it a "rain check for another night for pizza" Honey you get your needed rest for the night" Good night!

That's it no need to make this into some sort of joke the girl was already in bed and ready to get up for work.. We men make it hard or even worst when we put our huge mouth into adding in more that doesn't need to be added.. Lesson learn a lesson gain.

First call was last minute and might have been a booty call. This leaves a bad impression if she wasn't looking for a booty call and expects a little respect for her time sufficient that you would plan ahead, giving advance notice. The text sounded like something a PUA would say, that of falsely puffing themselves up.

Sounds like a three strike ghosting unless she's letting you stew for awhile to fix the error of your ways.