Should I listen to other people when they say don't direct my first feature film?

bathtub-row
Okay thanks, I have no idea what my chance of success is, but I feel really anxious to do it, and have this now or never mentality about it, cause the more I keep putting it off, the more I regret it, and sick of working in a career I have hated all my life in comparison and want to get out.

I could try exhausting all other possibilities first, but I would like to finally achieve this goal and do not want to take years at finding other ways though, cause I feel I am getting too anxious about it and want to get it done as well, instead of keep putting it off. I don't think anyone in Hollywood would invest in a newcomer, but I suppose I could try.

Then go for it!!!

• Like 1
  • Author
Oh, hai Mark.

OP, you get one life and you have to live it the way you want. Now I'm not saying that means you should run right out and start this project. I'm saying that when you do make a final decision it should be based on what you feel and think, not on what others say.

You know that in taking this risk you could go on to become successful in the industry, or you could end up with literally nothing. No house, no money, no career. You might even go bankrupt.If you lose everything will you be able to live with that? Will you be able to emotionally and mentally bounce back and still be a relatively happy stable person? Some people can bounce back from anything life throws at them. Nothing can keep them down and they move on from failure easily. Other people are never the same after a huge setback. They become bitter, cynical and angry at the whole world.

So on the off chance that your endeavour does not become a smashing success and you end up with even less than you have now, can you live with that?

I'd probably be angry at the world, and probably think, "what was I thinking"... but I am angry now, for not doing it and keep putting it off, out of fear, or maybe it's out of logic and fear is good... but I keep regretting putting it off as well.

DrReplyInRhymes

Go for it and learn from your mistakes, let them hate,

People will always object grand ideas in fear of fate,

You know how many people told Ben Franklin how crazy he was?

Yet he's probably one of the most influential people, oh the ironic buzz!

It's very unlikely you will even come close breaking even on this film because you have no way to distribute it. I used to be in the business end of the music business. Sure, anyone can go into the studio and record music, but if you have no connections or interested parties and aren't tied into the distribution end of it, it will just be something like a portfolio for you to send to future investors.

• Author

Yeah I worry about that too, but not sure what else to do but try because unlike Hollywood, distributors do not want to sign a contract saying they will release the film before it's finished.

In my filmmaking world, you have to make the movie first and then distributors take a look and decide after unfortunately. So not sure how to get prior distribution agreement therefore.

As for some sort of compromise, I am not sure if there are any at this point. Or how do other independent films like say The Blair Witch Project, as mentioned before, get distribution deals, before the movie was finished, and all the money was spent?

As for some sort of compromise, I am not sure if there are any at this point. Or how do other independent films like say The Blair Witch Project, as mentioned before, get distribution deals, before the movie was finished, and all the money was spent?

Blair Witch was picked up for distribution after its success at Sundance. Same with Clerks and many other independent movies.

There are a ton of articles, interviews, and books out there about how different independent films got made. You should probably do some reading and research to see what strategy might work for you.

• Author

Okay thanks. That's the thing though, the movie has to get picked up later, rather than having a prior distribution agreement, before it's made, like in Hollywood, or something like that.

What I could do is make the movie, and use it to show investors my work, but then hopefully when the investors see it, they will say, "Hey this movie of yours is good too, let's distribute that one as well".

Or something like that hopefully.