Damaged Goods (Moved to GRD)

• Author
Thing is, "crippling anxiety" as you term it in your opening post is not a small matter. To me, crippling anxiety would describe a person who cannot leave the house or hold a job."

I still have my job waiting for my return, but I could barely leave the house for a long time. I'm much better now, but it's taken nearly 8 months to get to this point. I'll likely be off work for another month yet but I'm almost better.

I've just been sitting here wondering how it'll be out there once I am... there's such a stigma attached to anything like this no matter to what degree.

• Author
Just want to comment on that. I don't know if she's narcissistic and that she wants to sabotage you but she's not being a great sister, and probably cares more about saving face in society and looking good than genuinely do something to help (eg visit and do things with you). I hurt to say I experienced something similar (eg asking a family member to go to the movies with me and they said 'no' with a completely blank look, and later when visitors were over they said 'I'll be back soon, we could go to the movies later' with a really fake face of concern. Of course they were back later and we didn't go anywhere).

yes, she is a narcissist. She has a history of bad behaviour, not just with me. And none of her kids are allowed to have anything to do with me just because she doesn't like me, herself. No, she doesn't want anyone else to like me, either.

• Author
The worst part of going through this kind of illness is that some people you thought cared about you the most, will avoid you, treat you with contempt and even go out of their way to be disrespectful. Even if you just try to talk about nice things and laugh a bit. And in situations like these you realize that most people don't have much genuine kindness and compassion for other people.

/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is very true, and yes, it was the most painful part of my whole ordeal to realize this. I had an experience with a now former friend these past few months who was shockingly callous toward me.

And I was called 'Damaged Goods' by someone else which is what prompted my post.

Thing is, "crippling anxiety" as you term it in your opening post is not a small matter. To me, crippling anxiety would describe a person who cannot leave the house or hold a job."

I still have my job waiting for my return, but I could barely leave the house for a long time. I'm much better now, but it's taken nearly 8 months to get to this point. I'll likely be off work for another month yet but I'm almost better.

I've just been sitting here wondering how it'll be out there once I am... there's such a stigma attached to anything like this no matter to what degree.

Wow, you're making such progress! Well done you.

I would like to think that there's no stigma in overcoming anxiety. Or even in having still mild anxiety. At least, I can't imagine it.

You say that you feel like the whole town knows thanks to your sister. I think that sometimes when we feel like a beacon for some reason or other, the truth is that most wouldn't bother gossiping about whatever is going on. Rumours being shared far and wide are usually reserved for more scandalous gossip.

It really depends what the problem was but indeed I’d tend to stay away for people with emotional/psychological problems unfortunately.

If I were young and wanted children I’d not knowingly marry someone with bipolar or something else that is inherited .

• Author

You say that you feel like the whole town knows thanks to your sister. I think that sometimes when we feel like a beacon for some reason or other, the truth is that most wouldn't bother gossiping about whatever is going on. Rumours being shared far and wide are usually reserved for more scandalous gossip.

Before I moved back to town she went after her ex husbands sister who is my age and my friend and tried to ruin her life... turn everyone in town against her and all over one small perceived insult. She is cold and cruel and arrogant, and I would even say evil.

I'm a tad uneasy about what I have to face when I start living again. I only have one 'friend' at least, via fb and he's one of the guys I like... lately he seems to be cooling off and I'm afraid it's because I'm not well in possible conjunctions to my sister's rumors. It's causing me more anxiety, really, when it's the last thing I need right now.