No Guns on Bumble

SevenCity

This reminds of a discussion forum pulling my profile picture years ago. It was just gone one day. When I inquired, I was told that it was removed because it glorified violence. The picture was the silhouette of a rock band. I guess guitars looked too much like guns. :D

But in either case, Bumble doesn't have a market-dominating position. You can always vote with your feet.

heavenonearth
I remember when 'colored bathrooms' were a policy too. ;)

I respect the company's right to be as discriminatory and discriminating as they choose under the law. Gun owners who like displaying their weapons or are shown using them are not a protected class. Jessie Duff, or any similar professional shooter, would have a hard time showing off what she does as a profession on Bumble. That's OK. They are free to censor content they choose to and reject people whom don't fit their image of what the site promotes. Guns are apparently 'bad'. OK, cool.

Did you just compare institutional racism to not being allowed to parade your gun collection on a dating app?

Good lord....

• Like 4

Sounds good. What is the problem?

Of course it makes me feel unsafe to see photos of someone on a dating app posing with a gun. Hello??

Also, the uniforms well, bad career move imo to put work photo on a dating site

• Like 2

Do you post pictures of you with guns? If you do, and now you can’t you may get more matches. Just saying. Many girlfriends of mine get turned off by those pictures and since it’s just a random guy I can easily swipe left on, I do.

But I do it with other kinds of profiles too (without guns.) anyway. I’m extremely judgemental on dating apps, and why shouldnt I be? I usually have so many matches and I gotta weed out many.

Do you post pictures of you with guns? If you do, and now you can’t you may get more matches. [...]

Well, his goal may be to find somebody who is accepting of his gun ownership. That would almost be a given if somebody responds to such a profile picture.

P.S.: But then I wouldn't look on Bumble, which is probably another question.

Well, his goal may be to find somebody who is accepting of his gun ownership. That would almost be a given if somebody responds to such a profile picture.

P.S.: But then I wouldn't look on Bumble, which is probably another question.

It makes sense, but maybe he can just list it on his profile mentioning his hobbies? This is just MY personal preference but I don’t date men with guns kept at their homes, so I do agree that he needs to share that information just so he won’t waste anybody’s time.

losangelena

Here's an idea: instead of posting a photo with your gun, you can state, with words, that you're a gun enthusiast in your profile? Sends the same message, no?

• Like 4
Here's an idea: instead of posting a photo with your gun, you can state, with words, that you're a gun enthusiast in your profile? Sends the same message, no?

To be perfectly honest, I would choose a dating site with a different background where the chances of talking to women with a conservative or libertarian worldview is higher. I don't think Bumble is that place.

• Like 3
losangelena
To be perfectly honest, I would choose a dating site with a different background where the chances of talking to women with a conservative or libertarian worldview is higher. I don't think Bumble is that place.

That sounds completely reasonable to me. I'm not conservative, so I do t know specifically, but I would bet that there are definitely dating sites that cater to those who are. I mean, there are dating sites for Jewish people and Christian people and fat people and kinky people, so why not? I'd figure that gun ownership is like any other niche—gotta find your tribe, so to speak.

This is exactly why firearm hobbyists want to be able to post pics where they are holding their gun. We don't want to waste our time checking out or talking to women who are gonna want to swipe no just based on our hobby. Posting that gun range pic weeds out ladies like you and your friends. So, while taking away our firearm pics may give us more superficial matches, those matches aren't the ones we want anyway. A lot of women don't like and or are afraid of firearms, but the ladies that do like them, love them, and they really love the men that share their hobby.

Mmm if they want a woman who is into guns, bumble isn’t the place to look. It’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. I’m pretty SURE there are better ways to find other gun loving people. I wouldn’t go on tinder to find a Christian virgin.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough
That sounds completely reasonable to me. I'm not conservative, so I do t know specifically, but I would bet that there are definitely dating sites that cater to those who are. I mean, there are dating sites for Jewish people and Christian people and fat people and kinky people, so why not? I'd figure that gun ownership is like any other niche—gotta find your tribe, so to speak.

Conservative dating sites probably attract less women who are willing to ask guys out first though, like the way Bumble is set up

But maybe not

Conservative dating sites probably attract less women who are willing to ask guys out first though, like the way Bumble is set up

But maybe not

No, the Bumble concept is pretty unique. But I would assume that if you're an old-fashioned guy you wouldn't mind asking out women. I actually see it as an advantage that the guy is generally expected to make the first move.

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm somewhat concerned about the company just removing the pictures without doing anything else. I mean, if I was single and dating around, and someone had photos of them posing with their gun, I would want to see it. Because it would tell me, "Run! Run! Abort mission!". If the pictures had simply been quietly removed, I would never have known.

Either ban the account completely, or leave the picture alone IMO.

• Like 2
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm somewhat concerned about the company just removing the pictures without doing anything else. I mean, if I was single and dating around, and someone had photos of them posing with their gun, I would want to see it. Because it would tell me, "Run! Run! Abort mission!". If the pictures had simply been quietly removed, I would never have known.

Either ban the account completely, or leave the picture alone IMO.

Agreed.

There are really two aspects to this:

a) You may have paid for the service. Changing the conditions of the service without prior warning is something I would consider it a poor business practice.

b) Whether somebody has a gun hobby is vital information. I don't really see the difference between saying you're into guns and posting a picture. In either case, a customer should want to know about this. Hiding it doesn't really solve anything. (Banning an account would fall into the same category IMHO, as customers simply wouldn't disclose this information.)

Edited by CptInsano
Agreed.

There are really two aspects to this:

a) You may have paid for the service. Changing the conditions of the service without prior warning is something I would consider it a poor business practice.

b) Whether somebody has a gun hobby is vital information. I don't really see the difference between saying you're into guns and posting a picture. In either case, a customer should want to know about this. Hiding it doesn't really solve anything. (Banning an account would fall into the same category IMHO, as customers simply wouldn't disclose this information.)

I think those users will be much more likely to move on to a different platform rather than hide the information.

But yeah, I agree that it's vital information and I would much rather it be left up.

• Like 1
I was swiping away and got a profile on Bumble for one of their "ads". It stated that Bumble is now removing profiles with photos of firearms to foster "customer safety". They encouraged users to report any profiles which contained firearms. You will apparently get a pass if you are uniform.

Are singles so afraid now that a picture of a guy or girl with their gun puts them in danger?

I would have thought shirtless bathroom selfies would have had more opposition...or Trump supporters.

Will they remove the instrument used to kill people from profiles after every attack? No more planes/box cutters after 911? No more pressure cookers after the Boston marathon bombing? No more trucks after the Berline, NY and Stockholm attacks?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to remove references to all the people who failed to stop the killer and ignored repeated warnings? Like the FBI, school officials, local police, etc? What about the policy of not charging the future murderer with a felony preventing him from buying a gun because of politicians fears over a "school-to-prison pipeline". Rather than charge people committing violence in schools they just ignore it so the kids don't get a record that keeps them from going to college. Take a look at the genius "Collaborative Agreement on School Discipline".

• Like 1
lana-banana

Gun ownership in and of itself is not a form of protected political expression. It's their right to ban photos of guns just the same way some sites prohibit baby pictures for avatars or how news sites can ban anonymous commenters. People who are so pathologically obsessed with firearms as to be unable to display themselves without one can make their own platform, or maybe try to be a little less triggered.

Frankly, I think sites ought to ban all shirtless selfies and bikini pics.

• Like 1
Gun ownership in and of itself is not a form of protected political expression. [...]

I think that the ownership of an item is not necessarily an expression, period. Somebody advocating gun ownership is a form of expression that would fall under the 1st amendment. But that doesn't extend to private property. So, Bumble can set the rules as long as they stay within the boundaries of the law, just as I don't have to tolerate protesters on my front lawn.

Unless you're a Bumble customer your opinion matters very little.

• Like 1
Redguitar35
I was swiping away and got a profile on Bumble for one of their "ads". It stated that Bumble is now removing profiles with photos of firearms to foster "customer safety". They encouraged users to report any profiles which contained firearms. You will apparently get a pass if you are uniform.

Are singles so afraid now that a picture of a guy or girl with their gun puts them in danger?

I would have thought shirtless bathroom selfies would have had more opposition...or Trump supporters.

I live in a fairly conservative state where it is not uncommon to see women posing with rifles or at a firing range. To be honest with you, I swipe left in those women. I was raised to think guns were a vice like drugs, gambling, and prostitution and that’s where I stand on them. I will not agree to sex with a woman who is into then, and apparently Bumble thinks most of their users view it that way.

Where I live it's quite uncommon to post pictures with guns....so this whole thread is really weird for me. I'll probably never understand this "right to bear arms" thing...

If you post pictures with guns most people in my country will assume you're violent and keep away from you.

If you're in a military position or a police officer you're risking your job by posing like that...

• Like 2
heavenonearth
Where I live it's quite uncommon to post pictures with guns....so this whole thread is really weird for me. I'll probably never understand this "right to bear arms" thing...

If you post pictures with guns most people in my country will assume you're violent and keep away from you.

If you're in a military position or a police officer you're risking your job by posing like that...

Yep. Same here in the Netherlands. I have actually never seen a photo of someone with a gun. And I have swiped around a lot on dating apps!

• Like 1
  • Author
Sounds good. What is the problem?

Of course it makes me feel unsafe to see photos of someone on a dating app posing with a gun. Hello??

Also, the uniforms well, bad career move imo to put work photo on a dating site

Hello!

This is what I don't get. What makes you feel unsafe?

You are aware that a picture of a gun doesn't shoot real bullets, right?

• Like 1
  • Author
I live in a fairly conservative state where it is not uncommon to see women posing with rifles or at a firing range. To be honest with you, I swipe left in those women. I was raised to think guns were a vice like drugs, gambling, and prostitution and that’s where I stand on them. I will not agree to sex with a woman who is into then, and apparently Bumble thinks most of their users view it that way.

Funny, I would do better where you live and you would do better in my state.

Hello!

This is what I don't get. What makes you feel unsafe?

You are aware that a picture of a gun doesn't shoot real bullets, right?

It's like primitive man being afraid of fire. They don't really understand it.

Nobody should give bumble their business if this is what they choose to do. Even if you don't like guns. It's wrong on many levels.