Simple dinner recipes anyone?

salparadise
Oh I LOVE cooking, and could give you an endless list of suggestions.

My first recommendation - Buy Ye a copy of the Joy of Cooking.

Its an oldie, but a goodie - and the best part is that its not just a book of recipes, it teaches TECHNIQUE. Once you understand HOW to cook, you really do not need recipes...

I wholeheartedly agree that you should own a copy of The Joy of Cooking. However, do not march into B&N and buy a new one. You want the 6th edition, published in 1975. This was the last edition before the screwed it up by trying to modernize it, removed valuable content and replaced the wonderful, traditional illustrations. Google it you need to know more, but the 1975 edition is the one. Ebay is probably the best place to get it.

And my recommendation for your second cookbook is James Beard's American Cookery. You know James, right? And no, he didn't have a TV show, although if someone referred to him as the Walter Cronkite of food I'd say that's an apt description. He explains the traditions, who, what, how, where things originated and evolved. It's important stuff. Otherwise, you might as well stick with what's printed on the back of cans and packages. Buy it first and ask questions later.

• Like 3
Interstellar

This looks simple to make and delicious. I’ll probably try it myself.

Instant ramen Cacio e Pepe

Edited by Interstellar
  • Like 1
Happy Lemming

Fry up some liver and onions...

Slice then carmelize the onions (first) in vegetable oil, put them in another dish and keep warm in oven on low. Add a little butter to the pan that you just used, season liver with a dash of salt and pepper, then cook liver (medium to medium high heat), until internal temperature reaches 160 Degrees (F).

If you want to add a starch (instant mashed potatoes)... If you want to add a vegetable, open a can of pickled beets (heat in microwave-safe dish).

Simple, easy clean up, not too many ingredients, and liver is fairly cheap.

YUMMY!!

• Like 2
todreaminblue
Fry up some liver and onions...

Slice then carmelize the onions (first) in vegetable oil, put them in another dish and keep warm in oven on low. Add a little butter to the pan that you just used, season liver with a dash of salt and pepper, then cook liver (medium to medium high heat), until internal temperature reaches 160 Degrees (F).

If you want to add a starch (instant mashed potatoes)... If you want to add a vegetable, open a can of pickled beets (heat in microwave-safe dish).

Simple, easy clean up, not too many ingredients, and liver is fairly cheap.

YUMMY!!

lambs fry and bacon with homemade gravy from the bacon pan was one of the first dishes i learned from my mum io cook who was taught by her mum who was taught by her mum...its really one of my faves...thinly sliced just pinkness lambs liver, caramelized onions and just brown bacon rashers in a pan fried gravy..

shivers.....havent cooked this in ages..

just with those oven bake dinner rolls perfection on plate......deb..

• Like 2

I love to make stuffed chicken breasts, use boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Split the breast to make a pocket, fill with whatever takes your fancy, I use sundried tomatoes (chopped) and cheese, or basil pesto and cheese, or mushroom and cheese. Then wrap them with streaky bacon this will help to stop the cheese escaping and keeps the chicken from drying out and bake in the oven at 180c (356f) for 45mins-1hr depending on size, turn over halfway through cooking.

Serve with veges, or salad of your choice. I usually bake potatoes in the microwave, and lightly boil broccoli, cauli, corn or spinach.

• Like 3

salparadise

The Joy of Cooking (any edition) and everything by James Beard are intimidating. If you didn't start out with somebody who knows what they are doing by your side, you need more simple stuff with pictures. Thanks for letting me know the 1975 edition has pictures.

Watching the Food Channel, especially Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals and Sandra Lee's Semi-HomeMade made cooking more accessible & less intimidating. I also found some solace in Dump Dinners. None of them are about being a chef or making pretty food. They are about getting dinner on the table in less than 4 hours with very little prep time required.

Another internet feature I found helpful is when you tell the site what ingredients you have & it tells you how to make a meal out of what is on hand. Check out all recipes, myfridgefood and recipematcher

You have to learn to crawl before you can run.

• Like 2

Donnivain, I think I've only really liked one RR recipe, but it's one of my faves and very easy. It's her Hot Pepper Chicken Under a Brick It is made with olive oil, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, chicken with skin on, and banana peppers. It takes 30 minutes start to finish. https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/hot-pepper-chicken-under-a-brick

Now, don't buy all that salad stuff listed in the ingredients. That's just her making the plate pretty. What I listed above is the actual chicken. I use a nonstick skillet covered with foil and then an iron skillet on top with bricks inside the iron skillet. This comes out very juicy and kind of burnt looking. It's easiest with skin-on thighs, all one height. You'll have to pour a lot of juice off before serving. Then always top with a squirt of the banana pepper juice right before eating, and you can microwave to warm up leftovers and then brighten it up with the squirt of juice. Making myself hungry. It's good with something like cole slaw.

• Like 1
Another internet feature I found helpful is when you tell the site what ingredients you have & it tells you how to make a meal out of what is on hand.

what if all you have on hand is an old shoelace and a half eaten jar of queso?

• Like 3
RecentChange
I wholeheartedly agree that you should own a copy of The Joy of Cooking. However, do not march into B&N and buy a new one. You want the 6th edition, published in 1975. This was the last edition before the screwed it up by trying to modernize it, removed valuable content and replaced the wonderful, traditional illustrations.

salparadise

The Joy of Cooking (any edition) and everything by James Beard are intimidating. If you didn't start out with somebody who knows what they are doing by your side, you need more simple stuff with pictures. Thanks for letting me know the 1975 edition has pictures.

You have to learn to crawl before you can run.

Ah yes, the 1975 version is the one I grew up on - never bothered with the newer versions! While I did have a great chef at my side (my mom!) I read this one often - as young as 10 and found it pretty accessible.

And while I agree you have to learn to crawl before you can run - its about fundamentals, the foundation on which your skills will be developed.

Kinda like telling a kid to go learn how to swing a bat, verses showing them the CORRECT way to swing a bat from the start, so that they can develop their own feel.

No Go strikes me as a very bright person, who has an apatite for details, so I think a book like the Joy of Cooking will serve her well. Its not the short cut to becoming a good cook, but it is a wonderful foundation to start your journey from.

• Like 3

The good thing about Joy of Cooking is it will tell you how to boil an egg. But it goes from that basic to more complicated. I honestly don't use many recipes from it, but I pull it out anytime I roast something to get the minutes per pound info. My mom got it for me and inscribed something in it about knowing I'd want to know how to cook a goat's head.

I like the old 70s Better Homes Cookbook for basic stuff like meatloaf, beef stroganoff, etc.

A lot of new cookbooks, the recipes aren't even tested and tasted.

• Like 3
todreaminblue

there was this paperback book i had for budget commonsense cookery it had everything from stirred custard to elaborate meals and simple meals......there was this recipe for canned ham and pantry cheddar cheese parcels ...shallow fried in bread crumbs served with salad..poor man's versions. it was a womens weekly limited edition and i lost it...:0(...cannot find it anywhere i went nuts trying to find it for a couple of months...now i have the desire to look again....for this cookbook...deb

• Like 1
what if all you have on hand is an old shoelace and a half eaten jar of queso?

You order a pizza or other delivery. You could also try one of those home delivery meal services. lol

• Like 2
RecentChange

A lot of new cookbooks, the recipes aren't even tested and tasted.

Speaking of which.

America's Test Kitchen

Another great resource. They DO test recipes, all sorts of recipes, and techniques and equipment.

Great instructional videos - highly recommended.

• Like 2
  • Author

Wow LS friends! This is a gem thread, so many great suggestions!

I am determined to go through them and will do in the coming weeks - test alone, then impress my guy:) He's actually already impressed I'm even trying - since he was very aware of my old dinner habits:D

I ordered Joy of Cooking! To answer some of the questions: I do have an oven, in the moment I don't own a cast iron pan and casserole dish but took notes what to look for, so my kitchen will also experience an upgrade:)

On a side note.... it is too funny how when the right people come along in our lives they bring out sides of us that we haven't yet expressed. I always considered myself an eat-to-survive type of person and my kitchen was therefore pristine (unused :lmao:) But I realize cooking, making, creating things actually generates happiness on its own. Ok, distracting too much but back to the thread - it's awesome and will keep me busy beyond one dinner :D

• Like 5

I am determined to go through them and will do in the coming weeks - test alone, then impress my guy:) He's actually already impressed I'm even trying - since he was very aware of my old dinner habits:D

I ordered Joy of Cooking! To answer some of the questions: I do have an oven, in the moment I don't own a cast iron pan and casserole dish but took notes what to look for, so my kitchen will also experience an upgrade:)

On a side note.... it is too funny how when the right people come along in our lives they bring out sides of us that we haven't yet expressed. I always considered myself an eat-to-survive type of person and my kitchen was therefore pristine (unused :lmao:) But I realize cooking, making, creating things actually generates happiness on its own. Ok, distracting too much but back to the thread - it's awesome and will keep me busy beyond one dinner :D

cooking is a form of art No_Go

• Like 2
todreaminblue

it really does bring happiness no go i dont know if its in the creation or have some appreciate your efforts to show them love with food.....

i went to this camp when i was a teen and we had to cook a meal and none of the girls knew anything to cook with what was there ...none of them really hung out with me some of them really quite ...disliked me... bullied me ........so i looked in the cupboard and the fridge....and i made a meal....it was pretty simple an egg fried rice with loads of veggies and i made it for twenty....they looked at me differently after ..told me it was delicious and thanked me....

i find the joy in cooking... in the creation...but more so the sharing and bonding that i feel that good food cooked with love provides an intimacy....

food cooked with love....wins hearts.......refreshes body and spirit with all that is good about breaking bread together....its a coming together ....and its perfect happiness....smilin....so wish i had food to cook...lol....i would so cook up a storm...im a noodles girl this week ..i paid my bills ...yay..my granddaughter said to me the other day ....nanna how come your noodles and toast are so good you cook them the best..(noodles canned soup and toast is all i have)...and i told her...i cook them with all the love i have for you.....and she smiled.........deb.....

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 3
Happy Lemming

Do you have a crock pot or slow cooker??

For me, I can put a chuck roast or pork roast in the slow cooker in the morning, pick up my girlfriend, spend the day with her and when we get to my house. All I have to do is throw a quick salad together, throw a couple potatoes in the microwave and I'm done.

The main course has been slow cooking all day, just serve.

I've also found slow cookers to be fairly inexpensive. Buy the biggest one you can find, you'll end up cooking quite a few different dishes with it.

• Like 3
RecentChange
I always considered myself an eat-to-survive type of person and my kitchen was therefore pristine (unused :lmao:) But I realize cooking, making, creating things actually generates happiness on its own. Ok, distracting too much but back to the thread - it's awesome and will keep me busy beyond one dinner :D

Oh totally!

I don't cook because I want to eat something delicious (I can go to a restaurant for that! :lmao:)

I cook, because I enjoy the process. I enjoy learning new things (which I am doing constantly cooking). I enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done (okay, and I may feel like having a hissy fit if it's a failure :laugh: )

And most of all... I love feeding people. Putting a great meal down on the table. Seeing the satisfaction and joy I can bring them.

I love it when my husband brings a bunch of his single friends over - I get to make a real home cooked meal for them all - and basically share my love.

I am not much of a "nester" and do not do much mothering, but I love filling bellies and putting a smile on faces.

I often tell a story about a time I helped my good friend host a community dinner.... In a tiny remote ranching town. Made enough to feed an army - and as I was manning the grill - and old rancher came up and asked my friend "Mike, is this your lady?" - Mike responds with a belly laugh, and "no just a good friend". Old rancher checks out the spread on the table, the steaks grilling over mesquite, and declares "well, this here is a valuable woman!"

What can I say, it's a valuable skill! ;)

• Like 2
RecentChange
i love love this thread......deb

I love your post above! You are always so good at conveying emotions - and you hit the nail on the head in regards to the satisfaction and intimacy cooking with love brings.

To me it's very much like a hand made card. It's something personal, something I made for them. I will cater to my guest's taste (rather than my own), and create something for them that they can enjoy.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 2
todreaminblue
I love your post above! You are always so good at conveying emotions - and you hit the nail on the head in regards to the satisfaction and intimacy cooking with love brings.

To me it's very much like a hand made card. It's something personal, something I made for them. I will cater to my guest's taste (rather than my own), and create something for them that they can enjoy.

me too recentchange....i cater for my guests or family....:0)...i try to know them well enough to know what they love if they have allergies etc and i cook it for them....i was devastated one time i invited a friend to dinner and i found out after cooking a feast i thought she would love...she couldnt eat it because of food intolerances...i couldnt eat it myself....i didnt enjoy it...at all..deb

• Like 2
Speaking of which.

America's Test Kitchen

Another great resource. They DO test recipes, all sorts of recipes, and techniques and equipment.

Great instructional videos - highly recommended.

Haven't tried that one. Someone got me the Culinary Arts cookbook some years ago and it looked so promising, but come down to it, I wasn't tempted by much in it.

• Like 2
RecentChange

I haven't purchased their book - but their videos are very helpful. So is their website.

I miss the full PBS line up. Julia Childs, Jacque Pepin, Yan Can Cook, and America's test kitchen shows (which they still have).

• Like 2

I still don't own a real slow cooker, but I make do with a 5 qt. dutch oven with thick stainless steel (I find the ceramic ones far too heavy for comfort). I amended this pot roast recipe for a Dutch Oven. It is really the best tasting easiest one I've ever had, though you don't put vegs in with it.

So not to violate a copyright in case there is one, just google Mississippi Pot Roast to get the simple list of ingredients, but then I advise not to use the slow cooker but to make these changes instead so it's not mush.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mississippi+pot+roast&oq=mississippi+pot+roast&aqs=chrome..69i57.5072j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

325 degrees F oven or electric turkey roaster

Brown 3.5 salt and peppered chuck roast in 1 T oil in a Dutch Oven (5 qt).

On top of it put the ingredients listed for the recipe.

Put foil between the lid of the dutch oven and the pan so it's a tight fit (like it would be in a slow cooker!) Put Dutch oven in oven or in a big electric roaster.

Leave for 5 hours but check once midway through just to be sure the foil is keeping the juices high on the roast. This will come out exactly right if you get that size roast. You can use the juice as is to just moisten roast (which is very moist already) or you can add just a tiny bit of cornstarch per the box instructions to thicken for gravy. This roast is so dark brown and rich and good when it comes out.

this way it's sliceable but yet very tender.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 2
I don't know if you want it or not, but I finally had time to type it out (portions are a little vague, I admit):

Start with the roux, melting either lard or bacon grease in a pan, then adding flour and stirring continuously (it tends to burn) until it's golden brown (or maybe a little darker) with a not-quite-pudding-like consistency.

Next, add a bunch (a couple of cups each, maybe) of diced celery, diced green pepper, and diced onions. Also 3 or 4 minced garlic cloves. Cook for 10 minutes or so. Dump the mess in the crock pot. Add chicken broth and/or beef broth.

Add a pound or so of andouille sausage or homemade deer sausage. Cook a pound or so of chicken in the pan you just vacated and add it (you don't necessarily have to cook it first, but I do). Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and tabasco sauce to taste.

Cook all damn day. About an hour before it's time to eat, crank up the heat and add a pound or so of sliced okra. About a half-hour before, add a pound of shrimp (make sure your pot isboiling at this point), a teaspoon or so of file powder, and parsley.

Serve over rice, and cry because it's so good.

For the Aussies online, I've looked up file powder and you can find it here GUMBO FILE POWDER (Sassafras Leaf) 10g - Herbie's Spices

Their curry spice mix and garam masala is also to die for

• Like 4