How do I get over this facial scar of mine?

• Author
Just Write

Bumping this old thread to let everyone know I had the scar removed by a cosmetic surgeon three weeks ago. While it's still healing and very much looks it, I'm already happy with the results. I now have what looks like a scar, as opposed to the round mass of tissue protruding from my forehead that it was before. Checkup tomorrow, where I imagine the doctor will tell me it will only improve from here on out, but again, I'm already pleased with the results.

Moral of the story: If you have something that's nagging at you and you can fix it, fix it. I waited over two years to do something about this, hoping I would get over it, but I never did. So glad I finally mustered up the courage to just have the surgery done.

Also worth mentioning: I ended up going with a different cosmetic surgeon than the one I first consulted with a year-and-a-half ago. This doctor was extremely reassuring, to the point that not once did I doubt he was going to make it look better. So as far as operations go, definitely seek out a second opinion.

Anyhoo, wanted to thank everyone again for their words of encouragement and support. I really appreciate it. And I feel so much better about myself now!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Women are so into makeup and friendly with it that you should just conceal it for now and see if it doesn't get better over time. There is nothing wrong with telling a woman "I have a scar right here that I put concealer on until it looks better." Women have no stigma with makeup! They won't care.

But there is an art to using concealer. If the scar is raised, then you put concealer one tone darker than your normal face in the middle of it and use a cosmetic brush to feather it out over just the scar and blend it. Being one shade darker makes it look more recessed and not like a hump.

If the scar is actually a pit, then you use concealer one shade lighter and do the same to make it appear it comes up more even with the skin. You don't need to put the concealer anywhere else on the face and always must blend it properly.

• 3 weeks later...

May I suggest Dermapen or PRP treatments? They are affordable but they can take months to come to effect (fading and filling). It is worth the wait and the results are excellent.

I had pretty bad scarring from cystic acne and was fed up with people seeing the scars and not my face. The pity was so annoying. Now the scarring is much less prominent and I hardly wear makeup.

I know this is your story but in my own way, I understand how you feel. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

OP, do you know what kind of scar you had? If it's keloid, it will grow back. Consult with your doc for preventative options.

OP has been gone a couple of months so we'll shut this one down. Thanks to everyone who replied.