Ladies, would you date someone who’s much younger than you?

FilterCoffee

Eternal Sunshine

I am in late 30s and would probably give a shot (but not take it seriously) with anyone >25 if I felt that spark. Not on OLD though, my lower age limit is 35. But then again, I’m not looking for marriage and children. If I was, I would be stricter.

• Like 1

Theoretically if I was in my mid 30s and single, it might not be an issue for me. It's his personality that matters, not the age, so an uncharacteristically mature 20+ yo should be fine. :)

Realistically I have never dated anyone younger. However, that could be because I've been in an LTR since my early 20s... if I'd gone significantly younger at that time, I would've been robbing the cradle! :lmao:

• Like 1

I almost refused to date my fiancee because of his age (mid-thirties), he is the only younger man I have ever been with.

Then I realized I may need someone to push my wheelchair one day...I smartened up and said ok. :cool:

I love this man and am looking forward to the rest of my life with him.

I would say as others have, that it's about the individual and compatibility, as with all successful relationships.

Good luck!

• Like 5

I would up to 10 years younger but only if he’s sure that he does not want children. If he seems unsure or on the fence or has a “I’ll go along with whatever” attitude, I won’t date him.

• Like 3

It's unfortunate that this can still be a controversial issue for some. To find that person you have a special connection with, that spending your life with is absolutely right, and then to pass on that because you can't get yourself comfortable with the fact they're x/y years older or younger than you, it would be a tragedy. A life not lived. :(

As a guy who never craved kids of my own I'm very glad my fiance overcame her initial hesitation to embrace what we have. Because we're incredible together. :bunny:

• Like 6

I once had an affair with a friend of mine who was an older woman, but it wasn’t that much of an age difference. I think she was 32 and I was 28 or 29. I really liked her, but of course she was married and eventually she cut things off. I still think about her from time to time. That’s really my only experience with someone older. Every one of my partners has been younger than me, and I kinda like it that way. Older women tend to have too much baggage such as kids, divorced (sorry) and even messing with someone around my own age is pushing it. Someone I hooked up with a few times recently had two kids, so even if I was interested in relationships, she wouldn’t be a candidate.

• Like 1

I'm 28 so a younger guy for me would still be a teenager or in his early 20's :D where I live, men still consider themselves very young at 28 - many of them still study, party and change partners. So I guess dating an even younger guy would be a disaster...

But if I met someone incredibly mature at a younger age, sure, I'd date him :)

• Like 1
I once had an affair with a friend of mine who was an older woman, but it wasn’t that much of an age difference. I think she was 32 and I was 28 or 29. I really liked her, but of course she was married and eventually she cut things off. I still think about her from time to time. That’s really my only experience with someone older. Every one of my partners has been younger than me, and I kinda like it that way. Older women tend to have too much baggage such as kids, divorced (sorry) and even messing with someone around my own age is pushing it. Someone I hooked up with a few times recently had two kids, so even if I was interested in relationships, she wouldn’t be a candidate.

On the other hand, I can see the plus side of dating an older woman. As they approach their 30s, these women’s looks have faded somewhat, ours is a culture where women 27 and up are not considered in their prime, they have to compete with younger women, and so they may be a bit humbler and easier to deal with than younger ones.

Edited by Redguitar35
As they approach their 30s, these women’s looks have faded somewhat, ours is a culture where women 27 and up are not considered in their prime

That’s not even close to true.

• Like 7
Michelle ma Belle
On the other hand, I can see the plus side of dating an older woman. As they approach their 30s, these women’s looks have faded somewhat, ours is a culture where women 27 and up are not considered in their prime, they have to compete with younger women, and so they may be a bit humbler and easier to deal with than younger ones.

WTF? :rolleyes:

Where the hell do you live?

I'm 49 and have never been busier dealing with the attention and affection of men of all ages and ethnicity.

As for 'competing' with younger women, I don't feel that at all. You can't compare oranges to apples.

Men like what they like, just as women do. I've never had a problem meeting men or getting dates at any age but particularly since I jumped back into the dating pool when I entered my 40's.

If anything, I'm the one who is uber discerning about who I spend my time with now more than ever.

Your comment is very insulting to women everywhere.

• Like 6
WTF? :rolleyes:

Where the hell do you live?

I'm 49 and have never been busier dealing with the attention and affection of men of all ages and ethnicity.

As for 'competing' with younger women, I don't feel that at all. You can't compare oranges to apples.

Men like what they like, just as women do. I've never had a problem meeting men or getting dates at any age but particularly since I jumped back into the dating pool when I entered my 40's.

If anything, I'm the one who is uber discerning about who I spend my time with now more than ever.

Your comment is very insulting to women everywhere.

Bingo. I know a lot of women who are more attractive in their 40’s than they were in their 20’s.

• Like 5
Bingo. I know a lot of women who are more attractive in their 40’s than they were in their 20’s.

It’s not that common.

• Author

Wow! Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it when people take the time and share some of their stories. It's been illuminating to say the least.

I am looking to marry and have children someday, so as far as long-term potential is concerned I'm not too bothered; it would definitely be casual.

Sorry for writing so much, but I have a lot to say about this because I know it from my own experience.

No don't apologize, I enjoyed reading that! I have to agree that most guys tend to mature a lot slower and I guess it boils down to that. I suppose if a guy is able to keep it together when his lady is going through experiences that people in his age group cannot relate to then he's got something to offer.

I got divorced when I was 44 (48 now) and since then I've dated guys as young as 22 and as old as 64. Probably most of them have been between 28 and 33. I was/am crazy of some of those young ones but the idea of a long term relationship with someone in that range scares me.

That's quite a range! That's cool because it shows how accepting you are. I bet you find many people attractive which means you see beauty everywhere :) If you don't mind me asking, what made you consider the 22-year-old?

if I'd gone significantly younger at that time, I would've been robbing the cradle! :lmao:

I'm 28 so a younger guy for me would still be a teenager or in his early 20's :D

Haha it's a good thing you two held back!

As they approach their 30s, these women’s looks have faded somewhat, ours is a culture where women 27 and up are not considered in their prime, they have to compete with younger women, and so they may be a bit humbler and easier to deal with than younger ones.

Is that so? And which culture are you referring to?

However, I don't agree with you that looks fade after 30. In my opinion, people just look different. Our skin starts losing tightness, men start balding, we start greying but is that necessarily bad? For example, the loss of skin tightness makes women's breasts droop slightly and I absolutely love that! Some guys even start looking better when their hair becomes grey. Do you think George Clooney would look better if he had the brown/black hair of his youth or the salt and pepper look he has now? Of course, one needs to spend some time on their appearance to look good, but if they do, I don't think any beauty is lost.

• Like 3
  • Author
I almost refused to date my fiancee because of his age (mid-thirties), he is the only younger man I have ever been with.

Then I realized I may need someone to push my wheelchair one day...I smartened up and said ok. :cool:

I love this man and am looking forward to the rest of my life with him.

I would say as others have, that it's about the individual and compatibility, as with all successful relationships.

Good luck!

It's unfortunate that this can still be a controversial issue for some. To find that person you have a special connection with, that spending your life with is absolutely right, and then to pass on that because you can't get yourself comfortable with the fact they're x/y years older or younger than you, it would be a tragedy. A life not lived. :(

As a guy who never craved kids of my own I'm very glad my fiance overcame her initial hesitation to embrace what we have. Because we're incredible together. :bunny:

That's really cute :laugh:

• Like 3
GorillaTheater
That's really cute :laugh:

One of the best stories on LS, brother. Makes me smile every time I see them talking about each other like that. But I'm an old softie.

• Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic
How old are you?

Nevermind. I asked you in another thread yesterday how old you are and you said early thirties. Revisit this issue when you're in your forties and let us know if you still find women in their forties repulsive ;).

Nevermind. I asked you in another thread yesterday how old you are and you said early thirties. Revisit this issue when you're in your forties and let us know if you still find women in their forties repulsive ;).

Judging by the threads he’s started, I’m not sure he should be considered the utmost authority on this subject. Or any subject really.

Edited by CardsFan01
Mistake
  • Like 5

I'm 49 and just started dating (much) younger guys (26-28) around nine months ago. I am a university professor and the first was a former student - he was around 24 when he was my student, 26 when we got together the first time when he contacted me out of the blue (even after I had failed him in my class!).

We had a great chemistry and a couple of others I have gone out with in the same age range have been great - enthusiastic, fun to talk to and spend time with, great physical chemistry.

People joke about "cougars" but I have actually found that all guys I have met in this age range are definitely the pursuers. So that is nice, too... I don't like "making the moves" and still like the guys to do those things. :)

That said, I would not consider anyone that age for a serious relationship - these have been more Netflix and chill, cook dinner, go for walks, kind of thing - because we are just at two different places in our lives. But for something light and fun, it has been really nice!

To echo Michelle ma belle - older women do know what they want, they are more sure of themselves, comfortable in their skin and won't suffer nonsense and game playing.

• Like 2
I'm 49 and just started dating (much) younger guys (26-28) around nine months ago. I am a university professor and the first was a former student - he was around 24 when he was my student, 26 when we got together the first time when he contacted me out of the blue (even after I had failed him in my class!).

We had a great chemistry and a couple of others I have gone out with in the same age range have been great - enthusiastic, fun to talk to and spend time with, great physical chemistry.

People joke about "cougars" but I have actually found that all guys I have met in this age range are definitely the pursuers. So that is nice, too... I don't like "making the moves" and still like the guys to do those things. :)

That said, I would not consider anyone that age for a serious relationship - these have been more Netflix and chill, cook dinner, go for walks, kind of thing - because we are just at two different places in our lives. But for something light and fun, it has been really nice!

To echo Michelle ma belle - older women do know what they want, they are more sure of themselves, comfortable in their skin and won't suffer nonsense and game playing.

Good for you, that’s awesome!

Bang? Yes, date no.

When I was 37 my affair partner was 27 and the age difference didn't both me at all. But I don't know that I would seriously date someone that much younger.

I also have a number of male guy friends in that age range. Good friends, but we are different stages of our lives, and I don't think I would want someone that young to be my partner.

As for comments on women's age... I am in my late 30's and get more attention now than ever - from guys in their mid 20's to men in their 40's. For me, I think it's matter of growing into my own. My confidence. I know how to start things with a look, that I couldn't be do when I was younger.

• Like 2
LivingWaterPlease

I'd date a guy up to ten years younger than I. I did date and fall in love with one who was eight years younger than I who proposed. I didn't accept but it wasn't because of his age.

I actually prefer a man about my age, though, not much younger or older. I've been through and overcome a lot of adversity and that adds an element to my life that I want to share with someone who has done the same. Many younger men haven't. And a man more than five or so years older than I may not be appealing to me, idk. If I found him appealing I'd date him, just never have.

• Like 1
  • Author

That's quite the story! Is he the same guy you like with his pubic hair untrimmed? I like seeing that in a woman too sometimes :cool:

Bang? Yes, date no...

... For me, I think it's matter of growing into my own. My confidence. I know how to start things with a look, that I couldn't be do when I was younger.

I think that's the consensus so far. It's this confidence that I find super attractive. Being comfortable with oneself is a huge turn on for me!

I actually prefer a man about my age, though, not much younger or older. I've been through and overcome a lot of adversity and that adds an element to my life that I want to share with someone who has done the same. Many younger men haven't. And a man more than five or so years older than I may not be appealing to me, idk. If I found him appealing I'd date him, just never have.

I understand. You want someone who's experienced similar challenges that you've faced and you'll probably find that more often in guys your age.

• Like 1
That's quite the story! Is he the same guy you like with his pubic hair untrimmed? I like seeing that in a woman too sometimes :cool:

No, that's another one

• Like 1