GF with a difficult childhood

Crow795

Why you wasn't expecting that?

I thought you were making some progress toward seeing who she is now & not judging her based on the distant past. Since I was wrong about your perspective, I agree that breaking up with her is the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Author
I thought you were making some progress toward seeing who she is now & not judging her based on the distant past. Since I was wrong about your perspective, I agree that breaking up with her is the right thing.

It is hard for me to see who she really is as well.

So it is for the best to brake up and let her find the guy who

could see beyond it and love her for who she really is, bad or good.

mortensorchid

I will never understand people who claim that their past is going to affect their future, it's just an excuse. I know people who came from horrible homes, who survived disease, war, famine, etc., and they said "I will not be that way". And they aren't. They survived. And I know others who will take some stupid break up with some horrible person from their past who they were with for six months, say that they can't commit to others because if it (i.e. me), then rebound and marry some trashy ho barely a year later and get taken for a true horror story with them. And my father survived a terrible, abusive childhood at the hands of a mentally ill mother, married his high school sweetheart (my mom), had two children (me and my sister) who he loves and provides for, and when he's angry he will still scream at me that his parents treated him like s*** rather than about what the offense was or was not on my / my sister / my mom's part.

There are incidents with people in my past (professional and personal) that have damaged me, but I keep moving forward and I don't let it taint how I feel about a new situation. I try. It's getting harder and harder to try, I don't want to bother with certain things anymore with people, but I try. I want to someday have someone in my life, but I'm not going to settle anymore. And that's hard. It's hard being alone, but I'd rather be alone rather than be with someone who treats me bad. Either because of their past or because he's just an a******. Fact.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

yes you can change your life around....i was a hooker now i am not.....im a celibate latter day saint....

what concerns me is not her...its you.....she has changed and you are the one who is drinking and smoking pot....you have changed from what you class as a boring kid...into a pot smoking drinker...

you arent young or silly you choose to do these things fully aware that pot is addictive and classed as a dangerous drug....she has a changed life...and you are leading the life she used to have ...who then...is the one that should be concerned....its her....her life of drugs and drink is past...yours is present..

for that reason...you are not really compatible with her.......deb

I get it, you don't trust a person with a past and that's your prerogative, you never dated or experienced a relaitonship with this type of person and should stick with what you know.

I am one of those who was a wild child of sorts, experimented with drugs,etc.....once in my 20's, I became a responsible level headed adult that quit that scene, dumped those friends that were involved with drugs and crap. I never went to jail, I own my home out right, and never had a speeding ticket, been with my husband for over 28 years.....just saying.