Am I doing this wedding ring thing right?

Reltubsirch0412

georgia girl

Before you get filled with doubts... .

My husband and I have money (and I only say that for what follows). My engagement ring - purchased only a few years ago - was similarly priced to yours, it doesn't have a big stone and I absolutely love it. He designed it himself and found someone to build it using recycled precious metals. That was so him. He believes very strongly in not over-mining and neither of us were diamond people. For me, being older, I thought the amount of money people were expected to spend on something you wear on your left hand was absolutely ridiculous. I'd rather have an awesome vacation or a remodel.

I said all of that because this is really about you, your intended and your moment. The ring is a symbol of love and a physical reminder of the moment your spouse asks you to marry you. It holds such incredible value because of how and why it is offered. It's not monetary value - although many have that. Looking at the ring reminds the wearer of that day and it's remarkably special.

If you are now having doubts about the ring and it's going to ruin the moment for you, there's a couple of things you can do. First, take the ring out and look at it. Do you love it? Is this the gift you want to give to her to signify your engagement? If so, swallow the doubts and plan the ask. If you don't love it or if there has been enough doubt planted that it's going to impede the moment, go ahead and take the ring back. You can ask her without the ring and shop together. If you're ready to get married, you're also ready to talk about finances and how much you can afford to spend. Finally, if you really want to surprise her, you can take the ring back and spend a little time figuring out what kind of jewelry she likes. A single stone? Multiple stones? What does she wear now? Then, as another poster said, go to a local jeweler, discuss your budget and what your fiance likes. Shop around if there first jeweler doesn't have what you want/need.

Regardless, enjoy this fantastic and wonderful time in your lives. There's something magical about being engaged. Enjoy it. And congrats to you and the lucky lady!

GG

• Like 3
Before you get filled with doubts... .

My husband and I have money (and I only say that for what follows). My engagement ring - purchased only a few years ago - was similarly priced to yours, it doesn't have a big stone and I absolutely love it. He designed it himself and found someone to build it using recycled precious metals. That was so him. He believes very strongly in not over-mining and neither of us were diamond people. For me, being older, I thought the amount of money people were expected to spend on something you wear on your left hand was absolutely ridiculous. I'd rather have an awesome vacation or a remodel.

I said all of that because this is really about you, your intended and your moment. The ring is a symbol of love and a physical reminder of the moment your spouse asks you to marry you. It holds such incredible value because of how and why it is offered. It's not monetary value - although many have that. Looking at the ring reminds the wearer of that day and it's remarkably special.

If you are now having doubts about the ring and it's going to ruin the moment for you, there's a couple of things you can do. First, take the ring out and look at it. Do you love it? Is this the gift you want to give to her to signify your engagement? If so, swallow the doubts and plan the ask. If you don't love it or if there has been enough doubt planted that it's going to impede the moment, go ahead and take the ring back. You can ask her without the ring and shop together. If you're ready to get married, you're also ready to talk about finances and how much you can afford to spend. Finally, if you really want to surprise her, you can take the ring back and spend a little time figuring out what kind of jewelry she likes. A single stone? Multiple stones? What does she wear now? Then, as another poster said, go to a local jeweler, discuss your budget and what your fiance likes. Shop around if there first jeweler doesn't have what you want/need.

Regardless, enjoy this fantastic and wonderful time in your lives. There's something magical about being engaged. Enjoy it. And congrats to you and the lucky lady!

GG

Now that I reflected more on it, I agree 100%. The cost didn't matter to me, but a big part of the warm fuzzy feelings I get from looking at the ring was because of how much it reflects us. I would hope that the OP did pick that ring up because it looked good/suitable to him though, with the affordable price sealing the deal. Not just chose it because of the discount! :laugh:

OP, is this a shotgun wedding (i.e. rush)? I ask due to your thread about pregnancy.

You can certainly be forgiven for not knowing the four Cs at this point.

Best wishes!

• 1 month later...