Are previous sex partners with my wife the father of my children?

Hi rog, did you know about your wife's past sexual history before you married her? If you did then this issue shouldn't raise it's head since you knowingly put yourself in a position which seems to be causing you niggling worries. This research that you have mentioned may or may not be verifiable but that does not alter the fact that you jumped in head first, into a union with a lady about whom you are now having some doubts. Has your wife been faithful after marrying you? I think that is more important than anything else. Also, have you checked on the possibility that your kids could be albinos? Albinos look like they have Nordic features.

The other thing is that we have to remember that the human race descended from African forefathers. One never knows when a child born of parents of a different ethnic group than Africans will produce a child with African features. I remember reading in a magazine article a while ago that an African lady married to an African man had a child with white skin and blond hair. The child's physical features resembled that of it's parents but the skin and hair colour were entirely different from that of it's parents. And no,, there was no infidelity involved. I guess Nature follows it's own obscure rules and does not conform to human logic. That is why evolution has enabled living organisms to survive in harsh surroundings.

As a personal example, I am born of parents who are brown/ wheat skinned and with black hair. However, I was born with a very fair complexion approximating the white skin of Europeans. My hair( when I had plenty of it) was a red-brown colour. The reason for this was that on my mother's side my ancestor, thrice removed was European. My other siblings are brown skinned but an elder brother who died was like me. So I guess I am a throw back but of course I was the butt of jokes when growing up. More than me I guess my parents would have been placed in an awkward position having to explain my colour. So I guess Nature can play cruel tricks on people and one has to take it in one's stride. Warm wishes.

• Like 1

eggs can't be altered by previous sperm.. the egg isn't in a place to even touch previous lovers sperm... the egg is inside her ovary and barely exists.. it is only matured and released monthly..

eggs can't be altered by previous sperm.. the egg isn't in a place to even touch previous lovers sperm... the egg is inside her ovary and barely exists.. it is only matured and released monthly..

It's not sperm, it's enzymes in the semen. And in the flies studied (not known if this has any effect in humans or even mammals), it does alter the immature eggs in some way that can affect the morphology (size, mainly) of the future offspring, independent of the mate's DNA.

The disturbing thing is that this could be used as yet another excuse for men to try to control female sexuality.

Yeah good luck with that one. It will never happen.

• Author

With some of the posts raising questions regarding my testing my children's DNA; I could not remember how we did it. When I checked with my wife, I asked her what DNA testing did we do? She told me it was through ancestry.com where you can discover your family history. She said we did it a few years back and it showed that we and our children shared similar DNA.

It's not sperm, it's enzymes in the semen. And in the flies studied (not known if this has any effect in humans or even mammals), it does alter the immature eggs in some way that can affect the morphology (size, mainly) of the future offspring, independent of the mate's DNA.

Humans aren't flies and there is no reason to believe that this can happen other than this one article

If someone wants to believe this type of idea and apply it to their already living offspring then they are making a huge error and causing pain where it doesn't belong.

To answer the question that I’m sure is on every one of your minds, no the researchers are not yet sure whether this phenomenon exists in any other species, but testimony of many experienced breeders suggests it may be. As for humans, I don’t even want to begin opening that can of worms, but Crean did tell Medical Daily in an email that she's not ruling out this possibility.

There is no evidence of such effects in humans, but there has not been any research on this possibility in humans. There is a potential for such effects in mammals,” explained Crean.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/dna-sperm-ex-partners-lingers-female-flies-and-influences-genetics-her-offspring-305934

From 2014 BTW.. so you would think in 3 years something would have come of this theory in that time by now

• Like 1
With some of the posts raising questions regarding my testing my children's DNA; I could not remember how we did it. When I checked with my wife, I asked her what DNA testing did we do? She told me it was through ancestry.com where you can discover your family history. She said we did it a few years back and it showed that we and our children shared similar DNA.

That’s not a DNA test to determine paternity.

The tests given by Ancestry.com are used to suggest what part of the world our ancestors may have come from. It doesn’t show whether you are or are not the father of your children. That’s not the purpose of an Ancestry.com test.

You need to find a place that tests for paternity. Because I have a feeling you’re being misled.

• Like 2
Because I have a feeling you’re being misled.

That is always a possibility, where I live you can get paternity tests at your local Walgreen's, I think you swab the cheek and send it in.. however if the Mother doesn't do the swab of her cheek and the Dad does his instead the test isn't as accurate but accurate enough to determine paternity...

Not that I have ever used them.. so I'm not speaking from experience

The disturbing thing is that this could be used as yet another excuse for men to try to control female sexuality.

I have a feeling that timing is very important in this study. If this applies in mammals, it would likely only apply in group sex situations.

In regards to controlling female sexuality... human civilization and human evolution were built around this. If men didn't seek to control female sexuality our current level of intelligence would never have developed.

I have a feeling that timing is very important in this study. If this applies in mammals, it would likely only apply in group sex situations.

This is only one study and applies only to this fly.

I do not see any follow up studies and no attempt to replicate findings either. (Many studies get discredited and effectively binned when it is found no-one else can replicate the findings of the original researchers)

Nothing can thus be assumed concerning this fly or any other species of fly either.

No-one can therefore suggest that this may occur in mammals or humans.

Further research needs done.

That’s not a DNA test to determine paternity.

The tests given by Ancestry.com are used to suggest what part of the world our ancestors may have come from. It doesn’t show whether you are or are not the father of your children. That’s not the purpose of an Ancestry.com test.

You need to find a place that tests for paternity. Because I have a feeling you’re being misled.

^^^This may be far more illuminating, but Rog is 72, he met his wife in her early twenties, his sons will be pretty old, no doubt with grand children too, is it really necessary to dig all this up, this late in the game?

What is he going to do, disown everyone?

Not the brightest thing to do at 72, I guess.

^^^This may be far more illuminating, but Rog is 72, he met his wife in her early twenties, his sons will be pretty old, no doubt with grand children too, is it really necessary to dig all this up, this late in the game?

What is he going to do, disown everyone?

Not the brightest thing to do at 72, I guess.

He’s on a website talking to strangers about how his kids don’t look like him. Throwing out odd theories of why that may be. It’s obvious he’s been thinking about it and searching for answers for a while.

Seventy two year old men deserve to know the truth.

This could be interesting family genetics or something else happened. Either way, he deserves peace of mind. He deserves to know the truth.

• Like 2
He’s on a website talking to strangers about how his kids don’t look like him. Throwing out odd theories of why that may be. It’s obvious he’s been thinking about it and searching for answers for a while.

Seventy two year old men deserve to know the truth.

This could be interesting family genetics or something else happened. Either way, he deserves peace of mind. He deserves to know the truth.

I am not saying he doesn't deserve the truth only he has to consider carefully what he is actually going to do with it.

This will not only affect him, this may blow up his entire family.

He has been harbouring anger and resentment towards his wife since February 1970...maybe this should have all been sorted out a long time ago, like about 50 years ago...

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/marriage-life-partnerships/639955-no-remorse-wife-s-past-cheating

I am not saying he doesn't deserve the truth only he has to consider carefully what he is actually going to do with it.

This will not only affect him, this may blow up his entire family.

He has been harbouring anger and resentment towards his wife since February 1970...maybe this should have all been sorted out a long time ago, like about 50 years ago...

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/marriage-life-partnerships/639955-no-remorse-wife-s-past-cheating

Touché.

I’ve always thought it too much trouble to read the back stories. You’ve made your point and you’re right. Especially considering my response in that thread. ?

He knows what’s most likely true. The question is how to deal with it after all of these years. I don’t think lying to ourselves by trying to shoehorn our situation into a random theory is the answer. In my opinion, facing the truth is always the way to go. After that, forgiveness ... as I said in the other thread.

Hope he can find peace of mind.